How long to get first bow kill

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by yardgnome02, Oct 6, 2018.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Four years for me. Killed at least one every years since that, but getting the first took a lot of learning.

yardgnome02, w33kender and early in like this.
  2. bcgiff

bcgiff Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Season 5, haven't killed one with a bow yet. Season 1 on my first sit I passed a 4 year old 8 point that I've regretted ever since. Had just looked through trail cam pics of 4 really good deer and he gave me a 15 yard perfect broadside shot 20 minutes after I got in the stand. Immediately regretted not shooting him when he got out of range.

Since then I have released 2 arrows, one on a good mature 8 point, hit 48 limbs on the way too him, never should have let that arrow go, clean miss. One doe that got a hair cut. Had plenty of chances just haven't capitalized.

This year I'm shooting the first doe I have an opportunity at in Oklahoma, and the first decent buck in Oklahoma or Kansas. Wont shoot a doe in Kansas till late season if I haven't filled that tag yet. Hopefully I can make time for more than my average 5-7 hunts...

3. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First hunt 1 hour in. 14 years old with thirdhand recurve bow, in blue jeans and flannel shirt standin 10 ft up on a big limb of a oak tree. Doe walked under eating acorns and never knew what hit her. Dropped in sight. Think about it every hunt and that was 43 years ago and many deer ago.

iBowhunt, w33kender and early in like this.
  4. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 3rd or 4th year. It depends on how long you have to hunt and if you fling arrows. I was always selective hunting before rifle season.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. united12

united12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started bowhunting in 2005 at 15 yo. I didn’t kill my first deer (with a bow) until 2011. There was a lot of trial and error. In retrospect, I was pretty careless during those first several years of bowhunting. I rarely (if ever) checked the weather/wind, I didn’t consider entry points or stand placement, I didn’t practice scent control much, I moved around a lot, made a lot of noise, etc, etc... I also missed a lot of shots because I got excited and rushed the shot, or got busted drawing back because I didn’t understand that I needed to wait for the right moment to draw/shoot.

I didn’t even realize I was being careless at the time because I didn’t know any better. My point is, bowhunting is a learning experience. Very few people are instantly successful when they first start (as is the case with most things in life).

I’ve killed at least one deer over the past five years and multiple deer most of the past five years (to include some mature bucks). Even the experts get blanked from time to time. You just have to keep your head up and try to prepare as best as possible for when the moment comes, because it will come if you stick with it.

early in likes this.
  6. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is totally bad azz. Kudos!

iBowhunt likes this.
  7. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Took me 6 years. I am completely self taught and was a terrible hunter for a long time. And I grew up hunting the NC mountains where there aren't a lot of deer. The one thing I am grateful for is I learned to bow hunt from the beginning. My mom wouldn't buy me a rifle when I was 13 so we compromised on a bow. Honestly the best thing she ever did for me in my life. My first bowkill was a button buck I shot at 40 yards with a PSE Nova. I can still remember every moment of that hunt.

8. iBowhunt

iBowhunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First bow kill was in my second full season of bowhunting, 11 years ago.

9. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got my first deer a month into my first season when I was 12, got another one when i was 14, then my dad got busy and couldnt take me anymore. Didn't pick it back up until I was 17 and was at it by myself, I didn't get one my first season but my second season I stacked up a few deer

10. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My second bow season 1988. I will openly admit my first bow season, 1987 I was 13 years old and not very patient. I saw a lot of deer but nothing in range and probably bc they knew I was there. My dad had a few restrictions on what I could shoot, no does and had to let any big bucks walk, his farm and his rules. It was around the first of November and my grandpa walked me up to a spot that was the only funnel off a bluff and told me all I had to do was sit still and wait. He was right. I stuck a nice little six point with my dads bear whitetail II. The next summer I worked my tail off and bought a Alpine Sierra Magnum, that was 1989. My scent control back then still cracks me up, I would sandwich my hunting clothes between a couple bales of straw out in the barn, lol!

11. Brad Kaufmann

Brad Kaufmann Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've had some pretty great luck in my hunting career. Shot my first deer with a slug gun on my 2nd day hunting when I was 11. Then got lucky the next year and got a doe on my first sit with a bow. Don't even think I was looking at my sight when I shot her because I was so nervous! Also shot a 140" 8 pointer with a bow the 2nd time I had ever hunted by myself when I was 15. I'm probably one of the luckiest hunters ever!

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    About 2 hours. 10 years old, took a 12 yard shot at this AZ mulie. FB_IMG_1533933523695.jpg

early in likes this.
  14. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be patient. I killed my first deer with a bow at 13 yrs old. I have had dry spells for multiple seasons over the years. It will all come together for you one day and make it all worth the challenge.

15. Craig Butler

Craig Butler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First time bow hunting was last year. Killed an 8 pointer on my first time out. I called a conservation officer cause I had to track the deer for a few hours after shooting time was up (county conservation program requires a call if out an hour past shooting time). He met to help me drag it out, asked how long I'd been bow hunting. I told him this was my first sit. "If I told my buddy's this they would want to kick your ass, this never happens!" was his response. That has been the only shot I have taken so far. Incredibly lucky and amazing experience.

Note: I have a horseshoe up my ass when it comes to beginners luck. First time muskie fishing I landed a 41" monster. At the time it took the guy I was fishing with 4 years to nab his first muskie.

16. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot at deer my first years of bow hunting, some where hit some clean misses. I taught myself, but really wish I had (internet) someone to offer me advise. I was brought up shotgun hunting (Slugs not buck shot). Patience is the most important part of bow hunting. if you see a deer thats to far away don't get down and walk away, wait. something will come along.

if you've sat several time and not see a thing, you need to change something. Scent control, stand/blind placement, NO SMOKING, your entry way to where your hunting. many factors can contribute to a UN successful hunt. You absolutely don't need any of the items you see on TV or even this show. Hell you don't even need camo. You only have to be in the right place at the right time, period. if the wind is blowing on the back of your neck you should find a different location.

17. Gecko0311

Gecko0311 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So, I got my first buck in year two. Learning how to scout, and stand placement are to key. Find buck and doe beds, then note the travel routes to and from food and water. No matter what you do for scent control, playing the wind is the key to getting that 20 yard shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

18. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First day, with both gun and bow. Beginners luck I guess. With the bow I was in a spot that was literally infested with deer, a small overgrown 10 acres surrounded by neighborhoods and a huge cemetery, it was the only place the deer could bed for a mile in every direction. It's a Costco and Home Depot now :(

19. yardgnome02

yardgnome02 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    kjstaudt86 and Gecko0311 like this.
  20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a neat memory! :tu: