Team 16 - The Xtreme Dirt Nap Boyz

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Bronson, Aug 13, 2018.

1. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's tough to hear, definitely a dead deer, Justin. And a perfect shot. That's exactly where I aim on all of my deer and I always get both lungs and heart. It's always impressive how far fatally shot deer can travel.

2. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Update for my season, I've been out two more times since my first sit. The second sit I saw two healthy mature does and a little fawn. They were at 30 yards but in thick brush, which didn't give me an opportunity to get a shot in. The third sit was Saturday afternoon, I found a great spot, white oaks with acorns falling, within 75 yards of deer beds, but again, loud when setting up my treestand. So I'm guessing they heard and/or saw me.
    The setup is still in the tree so I plan to head back out tomorrow afternoon. We have another hurricane making its way to us, so it's supposed to rain from Wednesday night to Friday afternoon. Cooler weather is on the way! Hope to see some deer movement soon.

3. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Dang Justin, that sucks. I am sure it makes it even worse since your little guy didn't get to recover a deer. Hope you two can get out again and get another doe on the ground.

4. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    I see a cold front coming through on Thursday, 26 degree drop in temp in my neck of the woods :cool:. Think I need to take Friday off now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thurs thru Sun is looking awful good right now. Although I think a lot of people get their hopes up a little bit too much. After all, it is still early October. BUT it should definitely have a few bucks up on their feet and moving around before dark. Hoping to hunt Thurs PM here. Fri and Sat morning are out of the question right now. so it looks like I'm confined to Sat PM and Sunday. Contemplating hitting some IL public I've had my eye on for Sat afternoon. It's a bastard of a walk to get to where I want to go, but it could be ripe. We'll see how much time I have and how I'm feeling by then.

6. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping to get out Friday afternoon and shoot a doe. Helps me be more selective on a buck when I have meat in the freezer. Plus our doe population is out of control. The crop damage is pretty severe on our 40 this year.
    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Logman likes this.
  7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well good luck out there! Hope you fair better than I did. :lol:

Sounds like I may be getting up your way before long. Todd wants to make a day trip up to his place to hunt a little bit and have some bro time. Maybe I can kill a doe in WI since I'm failing miserably in IL.

8. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Justin. I watched the show on Monday, was bummed to hear that Todd's dad had passed.

You should have a good chance at a doe if your in my neck of the woods. Plenty of deer to go around.

9. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:

If you need help tracking or dragging give me a shout :)

10. overactor

overactor Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saw the new episode of bhod, looked like a good shot. Same thing happened to my daughter on her first doe last year. Shot looked good, crossbow NAP Killzone 3" double lung, ran off. give it about 30 minutes and went to the arrow no blood thought no way, walked to the fence where she jumped same, walked a bit no luck, went out the next morning still no luck finding her. The head was locked open no doubt she was hit. Daughter was upset for sure. 2-3 weeks later shes back out to the food plot eating and her back from center of lung to the other side was healing back closed by Christmas she had a huge scar but survived. like the arrow hit, wrapped around her body and came out the other side. This cold front coming in should make for a nice weekend. We have seen two nice young 8 points and the big 11 at the golf course. Along with about 5 other young bucks and about 30 doe.

11. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Just watched your hunt Justin, what a heart breaker. You had such good blood, really sucks that there was no recovery. I have a neighbor similar to yours, doesn't like anybody. Our other two neighbors are great but guess where the deer always go.

Never thought to use the OnX app for grid searching, that was a really cool tip. I have the free trial but thinking of buying the full version for a couple public land hunts.

Good luck team, pretty chilly in WI this morning, hope to be in a tree by 3pm tomorrow.

12. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope y’all sling some solid shafts this weekend. Adulting is getting in the way this weekend for me. Aaaahhhhh

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Me too! Son's baseball practice tonight then a tournament in the morning followed by a b-day party for my cousin's kid. I'll be lucky if I can get out Saturday afternoon for an hour or two. Sunday looks good though.

14. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    I'm leaving work early and hope to be in the stand at 3pm

Justin likes this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Should be a great evening to hunt. I went last night but didn't see squat. I would have preferred tonight after the wind laid down, but it's all I had available.

Blarney22 likes this.
  16. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    In was cutting my grass last night and the wind was really whipping. When I was done cutting grass I dug out my cold weather bibs and added them to the bin. Seem early but hate being cold.

17. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    I was leaving work yesterday and a guy stopped me and introduced himself. He was from a different company in the same building and said he stopped me because of the bowhunt or die patch I have on my backpack. He said he was on his way home to catch up on some Bow Hunt or Die shows. Never had that happen before. Small world.

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a cool guy! lol

bry2211, Bronson, R22 and 2 others like this.
  19. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out on public tomorrow morning. Hope to be in stand about an hour before day-break so we'll see how that goes.
    I also hike on some new public land today, looks like a promising spot but probably wont have time until later october to get in there.

20. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Well team, we are on the board. Took a doe this evening. Saw 7 deer and was able to take a dry doe with no fawns.

Watcher her go down from the stand which is what every bowhunter hopes for.

I'll will upload pics and get her on the scorecard on Monday.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    bry2211, overactor, R22 and 5 others like this.