Your Occupation

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Jrob140, Sep 26, 2018.

1. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am in Supply Chain Management. At my company, I am known as a Supply Chain Coordinator. My job entails communicating with the customers in my market niche and entering their orders into our system. After that, I schedule production on my assigned machine cells to meet my customers demand numbers and dates. To meet those requirements, I determine what components are required to not only make our products but also the material required to pack the orders to survive shipping and have said materials in house on time. My next task is to ensure the customers order ships to meet their in house date. This is for my "production" customers.

I do a somewhat similar job for our "prototype" customers. My main task here is to get component orders out to our vendors and then keep on top of them to deliver to our in house date. This can be fun with certain suppliers!

I have been doing this for about 13 years. My road to get here was not a smooth one.

I got out of high school not knowing what I really wanted to do. Decided to go into electrical engineering but sadly picked the wrong school to attend. After that, it was a job in the medical field. Organic chemistry literally KICKED MY ASS. Needed a C average over 2 semesters to stay in the degree program. I barely had a C in semester one-after taking the class twice.

Dejected and demoralized, I took some time off. After a few months, I decided to join the Air Force. That was the best decision I made in my young life. I learned just because there are some road blocks in life, you can find a away around them. That ideal helped me again nearly 15 years later.

Once I got out of the service, I took a job at the company I work for today. Not as a Supply Chain Coordinator but as a general laborer. When I was nearly 40, I finally figured out that I would not be able to do what I had been doing until retirement.

I went to the local tech college and was looking through some of their programs when I came across Supply Chain Management. Ding Ding Ding! I found planning as one of the areas of Supply Chain Management. I had been doing pretty much the same thing the last 10 plus years raising 2 kids and rehabbing a small farm that we had literally dug out of the weeds and brush. Juggling family, work, raising riding horses, beef and hogs to making hay, I had done planning on a personal level.

OP, I'm not a millennial but I see nothing wrong with wanting a good job with good pay and a decent work/life balance. The jobs are out there. Are you willing to do what it takes to get one that meets your requirements?

kb1785, w33kender, Jrob140 and 2 others like this.
  2. bowhunter628

bowhunter628 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went to school for mechanical engineering, been working as a controls design engineer for an energy management company. Simply put, I drive trains with a computer. Our product develops an optimized speed profile that my job is to take control of the train and apply power when needed. It's a pretty stressful job that I got right out of college, but I am getting pretty good at it after about 2 years. I plan on moving up within this organization soon as my lead is close to retirement now and I am next in line.
    It's not exactly the job that I thought I would be doing and also is not intended to be my overall career. I hope to one day design and develop small engines for major motorcycle companies, that is my dream. We will see where the tide takes me in the upcoming years as I know nothing about what tomorrow holds.

kb1785, Jrob140 and Germ like this.
  3. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Operations Manager/Principle Technical Engineer - Telecommunications. I've started working the wireless industry in 1996 for a company called Nortel Networks. Since then I've literally bounced around different jobs and markets. I would never with a clear consequence tell someone to go into the wireless industry. Jobs are never certain.

I have a B.S in Organizational Leadership from Greenville University. One of the most memorable lessons taught was about how everyday people choose a profession based on the wrong reasons. Everyone should decide what they are good at and enjoy doing, then pursue a career in that very thing. Tiger Woods loved Golf and has achieved greatness because he loves it and there for works hard at being great at it.

A job should be like a hobby. the more you enjoy it the better your success. If you like drinking find a job in the liquer industry (Wish my guidense teacher would have told me of such a thing)

If you enjoy, fishing look to the DRN of your state.

If enjoy hunting don't become a Game Warden, because you will not be able to hunt as much as you would like.

Jrob140 likes this.
  4. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a master certified Mack/Volvo heavy truck technician and foreman. Been in the field for 15 years. 3 of that in the foreman position. The job has its ups and downs. With all the electronics on vehicles today you have to pretty good with electronics. My manager is retiring in a couple years so might go for his position.

I went to college for what I do. I exposed myself to as much of the automotive repair industry as possible when in high school. I liked taking things apart and working on things. I went for diesel in college because it seemed more interesting to me.

Figured what you like. Expose yourself to it as much as you can. And never be afraid to take a turn in direction if what you had originally planned does not work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb1785 and Jrob140 like this.
  5. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Really appreciate the advice and the words of encouragement from everyone. I am extremely proud and humbled to be apart of a community where so many people are willing to help whether it be bowhunting related or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

bowhunter628, Kfili, kb1785 and 5 others like this.
  6. Buckhunter30

Buckhunter30 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am a chemical operator/shift leader, I run a shift that makes plastic. We turn raw materials in plastic. I deal with hazardous chemicals on a daily basis, I work long hours, and rotating swing shifts. The plus sides of what I do is I get paid pretty well, my 401k is good, get almost 30 days of vacation. I get 6 straight days off once a month. Draw backs. Swing shift, health insurance isn't to great, miss lots of my kids events, family time, I get extremely micro managed, and am responsible for the safety of everyone working.

I've got a senior in high school that I'm trying to push into making life decisions now, trying to explain that everything that is said, and or, decision made now has real world consequences. Hes a good kid, but trying to get him to think a little bigger picture is almost impossible. I dont want the life I have for him.

My advice to you is to stay true to you and your values. Dont change for someone or something. Be happy and confident in what you do, be proud of what you do.

If you are already pessimistic on what you are going into, its not to late to find something you want to do for the rest of your life. I dont know how religous you are or your background, but I suggest and fully believe in prayer, pray about everything and anything.

Good Luck!

In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsman. - Theodore Roosevelt

7. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I left high school and thought college was going to be my calling. Hit the ground running towards a business degree with an emphasis in computer programming.....3rd year in I realized I HATED it.

I ended up catching on doing some Fire Safety stuff and eventually heading a regional sales department before realizing I needed a change when I was 27. I went BACK to school, got a technical degree, and got hired in the Ethanol industry doing research work.....a job I loved.

After a year, I did make a move for better money into the oil industry at a large refinery. It pays the bills and affords me the opportunities to chase some of my hunting dreams across the country which was my driving force to make the switch and keeps me coming back day after day. Long hours are the crux of the job, along with several hazards that warrant the pay, so it definitely has it’s trade offs.

As an OSHA guy and a hunter, I would take a long, hard look at Alaska. The possibilities are endless in your field, and the hunting is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kb1785, virginiashadow and Jrob140 like this.
  8. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My full time job is a sales executive for a large transportation company. My job is to find new customers who have freight to haul, negotiate contracts, pricing etc. I took the position because it allowed my family and I to move to Iowa. I took a 20% pay cut from what I used to make to do it, but it got me to Iowa. I really like being in sales, but I can't say I love where I work now. Mostly because I have been told I am basically at the peak of what I can expect to make regardless of how much business I bring in. Not a great motivator. Before this I was the Regional Sales Manager for another transportation brokerage in Indiana. Before that I was the Logistics Manager for a Cabinet/Furniture company. Prior to that I worked as an HVAC service tech/installer for 7 years. I'll continue where I am until I find something better. Sales and talking to people are what I think I am best at and enjoy. I also currently work for Radix Trail Cameras as their Pro/Field Staff Manager. I LOVE that, but it doesn't pay much yet.

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I was 18 I was good at and enjoyed drinking beer and chasing women every day. If only I could pursue a career like that.

I graduated with a 4 year degree in marketing and have been an account manager since I graduated college. Right now I am the account manager to roughly 35 trucking companies. Our company makes dashboards that are installed into semi trucks (due to the ELD mandate) to track their GPS, mileage, fuel, fuel/mileage tax info, etc. Each month I am in charge of reviewing the companies data that is sent to us via our dashboards and correct any issues we see (odometers jumping/dropping a million miles, fuel thefts, etc). At the end of each month we prepare a set of fuel tax reports for each company so they can file their taxes.

Some of my large clients include Walmart, Airgas, and Estes.

I've been there a year and now get to work from home 50% of the time.

Excellent 401k plan, great stock options, excellent medical/dental insurance, and very flexible in regards to time off, and vacations.

Every month we have certain times where we are slow (first and last 5 days) where we don't have much to do so I get to browse the internet a lot and troll people on here (mainly Sota).

We have quarterly all company meetings where we get free happy hour. We have routine "team building" exercises that include crazy things like escape rooms, volunteering at a local non profit, Twins Games, and social happy hours (everything is covered by the company).

I thank the lord every day I fell into this job as it is a lot better than the one I had coming out of college. I hope to be with this company for many years. Sometimes you just get a lucky break.

kb1785, virginiashadow and Jrob140 like this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I travel the world hunting for a living. Then when I wake up from that dream I come here to my real job. :)

By official title I'm the GM for 3 businesses that Todd owns and operates. That's just a fancy way of saying I oversee all day-to-day operations and find a way to keep the lights on.

ICS Solutions - IT consulting firm that specializes in supporting small-mid sized business and a few small (K-12) educational institutions. By definition we're a typical "break/fix" operation with a handful of Managed Services clients. Our bread & butter clients typically have 1-4 servers and 5-50 workstations. We support just about anything and everything that is plugged into the wall or connects to the Internet.

Rhino Group - Website Development firm. I like to consider us a bit of a "boutique" development firm that specializes in custom site builds for businesses of all types and sizes. Although we have a pretty strong presence in the hunting/archery community where we do a lot of work for some of the larger & more recognizable brands in the market. Our primary specialty is WordPress development with the occasional foray into the hell known as Magento Enterprise as well.

Hunting Network/Bowhunting.com - Outside of this website and Forum we produce our online show (Bowhunt or Die) and maintain a pretty aggressive presence across all of the major social media platforms.

There you have it. The exciting life of a no-talent Internet celebrity with a receding hairline and an affinity for a good bowl of mac & cheese.

11. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you are worried about a receding hairline at your age, I hope this site is still around 15ish years from now. Boy is your hair gonna disappear between now and then.

12. StanfillKY

StanfillKY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a quality assurance inspector at a locomotive facility in Mayfield, KY. I basically stumbled/worked myself into this job. Left one maintanence related job/employer for another, each time getting a better job. I finally came to work for my current employer and worked my way from production to quality. Not sure were I'll end up from here but hopefully I'll continue to grow and improve.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My wife tells me it's not actually receding and it's all in my head but I'm not so sure. Thinking about getting a tattoo on the hairline each year on my birthday so I can track it's progress.

kb1785, cantexian, Jrob140 and 4 others like this.
  14. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps your hair line is not receding-your head is getting bigger.

What with all the success you have had and those big bucks...Just color me jealous.

What were we talking about?

virginiashadow and Blarney22 like this.
  15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been out of college since 2007. I did a Bachelor's Degree in Exercise Science, this year I finished up a Master's in Physical Education. I have spent the last 11 years working in the Fitness/Corporate Wellness industry. I was obese as a teenager and weighed 260 lbs at my heaviest when I was 16. I lost 100 lbs by the time I graduated from high school. My personal journey led me to want to spend my career helping others do the same.

Over the past 11 years I have worked as a gym manager, personal trainer, fitness coordinator, and S & C coach for out of season athletes. Coaching my boys in youth sports has been a really enjoyable experience for me so I am looking at possibly making a career change to be a PE teacher/high school S & C coach. I have had incredible opportunities; I have had personal training clients fly my on private jets to the yachts in the Caribbean and write my presence off as a business expense, before life with kids and changing work situations made me too busy, I was a frequent weekly guest on a local talk radio station talking about health and fitness topics. I have written several of articles that have been published by the medical school I currently work for.

The last couple of years, my emphasis on career advancement has slowed as I have focused on my young family rather than pursuing more career opportunities. Currently, there is not any opportunity to advance further than I have with my current employer. But, as long as the bills are being paid, I am okay with that. The trade-off for being in a family-friendly job is worth it. I have four weeks vacation and two weeks sick leave every year, plus almost every holiday on the calendar. I have decent health insurance and a 401K match of up to 10%. It is easy for me to take day off to stay home with a sick kid or attend a special event at their school.

Try to pick a job or career that you will enjoy, But, recognize that there will be seasons of life where climbing the corporate ladder just to make a little more money may not be worth the price you will pay in other areas of life. Work hard at whatever you are doing, and you will do well.

16. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is not receding; your head is evolving past the need for frivolous things like hair. Welcome to the club.

picman and virginiashadow like this.
  17. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went to college and graduated with a Business Administration degree with an emphasis in accounting, later on I took the CPA exam and passed but never practiced. Worked my way through college at a small coal mining company that allowed me the opportunity to experience all facets of the business, from the accounting, finance, regulatory, compliance, sales, shipping, billing, production. It was a great experience and prepared me for future opportunities in ways that I couldn't imagine at the time. After working there six years the company was sold and I moved to other jobs in the mining industry. I have worked at the same company basically for the last 28 years (albeit the company has been sold a couple of times) in various managerial capacities. Currently I am the GM and am responsible for all activities at the mining complex which includes both underground and surface coal mining facilities and a coal preparation plant and managing nearly 300 employees and approximately 50 contractors. The complex produces approximately 3.7 million tons of steam coal per year shipped to various domestic power plants and exported to overseas power plants. It has been a very rewarding career but one that for me is winding down and will be left for the younger generation to continue. My forte has been large scale surface mining and that is really what I enjoy the most, big equipment(some of the tires of our equipment is over 13 feet tall), being able to move massive amounts of material and provide a resource that helps provide energy independence to the nation in a environmentally friendly manner. I exclusively hunt on reclaimed mining areas and can tell you that the reclamation that we do creates better habitat for wildlife than what was previously available. Matter of fact elk were just repopulated on one of the jobsites that we have. I have recently, along with my brother, purchased about 800 acres in my home state and have been working toward my retirement plan of land development, gentleman farmer, more devoted husband and fulltime hunter/fisherman. My career has demanded 60 to 70 hour weeks as normal and I have had a saint of a wife that has sacrificed along with me to make that work(been married to her for 37 years). In recent years I have had the opportunity to hunt where I work so that has worked out pretty well and I have had good pay and benefits and the privilege and honor of working for and with some truly great owners, bosses and co-workers. I almost never refer to someone as "working for me" as I don't feel that way, I have always felt that I work with someone even if I also have the responsibility of managing them. I have always felt that any success that I have enjoyed is a direct result of the hard work and effort of the workers which I manage. My job is to provide direction, assistance and help provide the tools, supplies and equipment that allow them to safely and productively do their jobs. Kind of a longwinded dissertation but as I get nearer to retirement I tend to reflect a bit more.

Jrob140 and Sota like this.
  18. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I run a several regional sales teams for a software company. I've been in technology sales for 18 years, and managing sales teams for the past 6. If you want to be in technology sales, software is the place to be. And if you want to be in software, cloud software is the future for sure.

The money is great, but I work a LOT and travel a LOT. I love the teams I work with, but don't get to spend nearly as much time as I want with my family. I'm also tied to living close to a major metro area if I want career stability in this field. I'm starting to wonder if it's all really worth it. I hope to be in a position somehow in the next 10 years to own a small business, and I hope that the work I'm putting in now can help set that up and fund it so I can slow down a little bit.

Jrob140 likes this.
  19. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently a teacher-I picked primarily because of the perceived work life balance(summers, holidays, ect). I recently completed my masters in marketing to try to switch careers. There has been an entire variety of circumstances I was not able to account for long story short I cant wait to swap careers.

Jrob140 likes this.
  20. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im a PE teacher/coach-if you ever need help making the switch let me know

cantexian likes this.