Best Compund Bow on a Budget... Advice

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Kalen Keach, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Kalen Keach

Kalen Keach Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Ya’ll, I’m new to bow hunting and and am looking for advice on whether I should get a new budget friendly RTH package or pickup a higher end used bow. I’m trying to stay under $500 OTd. I’ve narrowed it down to the options below and I’d appreciate any advice you can offer!

New(old stock) Bear Anarchy HC
    New Bear Approach
    New PSE Stinger
    New(old stock) Bowtech Fuel
    Used Mathews Switchback XT
    Used Bowtech Assassin
    Used Bowtech Patriot
    Used Mission Craze
    Used Hoyt Reflex Growler

I’d like something that’s a solid “hunting” bow with the power to take down an elk and the comfort to carry on long hikes in.

2. cdemarse

cdemarse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I'd go with the bear. Never had any issues with any of mine and the user adjustability without buying anything extra is great.

3. Kalen Keach

Kalen Keach Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice. Do you think the Anarchy HC or the Approach is a better model? I can get the Anarchy bow alone in the plastic for $300 or the Approach RTH package for $500.

4. DeepSouthDad

DeepSouthDad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love bear bows but out of this list I would go with a bow tech. I shoot a bear and my son has a bowtech fuel and it is a great little bow, light, quiet, shoots great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. cdemarse

cdemarse Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Approach is a newer model. 330fps. I'd go that route. The rth stuff will get you by but you will probably want to upgrade those over time.

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    if you stick with the sport, you will end up dumping a lot of money into replacing "RTH" accessories with upgrades.
    I haven't shot a Mission Craze but I own a Ballistic and it might be my favorite bow ever; and I've owned a couple flagship bows since I first bought it. I would not spend any more than 350 for any used Mission unless it comes with high-end accessories. A brand new won't cost you much more than that.

I currently shoot a Bowtech but not shot either of those models...know nothing about Bears. I haven't personally shot a Switchback but I'd have to say that many people say it is their favorite bow or at least favorite Mathews of all time. It's probably almost 10 years old but the Switchback XT might offer the most features...super forgiving 7.5" brace height (great for beginners) and still decently fast IBO (318 isn't bad.) That being said I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a bare one.

mobowdoebuck and Kfili like this.
  7. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I loved my Bowtech Assassin. I just picked up a BTX 31 with a QAD HDX Ultra Rest and a CTEK single pin slider sight for $650 on Archery Talk. The PSE Stinger is a decent bow too. Unless you are buying a generic Chinese knock off there really are very few bad bows out there. As for the ready to hunt accessories, the Hostage Octane style rest is very functional with no moving parts, and a decent Trophy Ridge 5 pin sight is really just fine. It is better to be out with functional gear than sitting at home waiting on the best that you can't afford. The one thing that really helped me improve was a real stabilizer. I always just thought that they were there to hold on the wrist sling. Then I picked up a used 10" Bstinger and was amazed how well it stabilized my shot. Good luck and happy hunting.

8. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Mathews Switchback XT is my favorite bow of all time. It is quiet, silky smooth, and shoots extremely well. I have had it since they first came out, and have yet to find a reason to replace it. I just shoot it so well, it is almost effortless. I have replaced the string and changed the sights over the years, but may shoot this bow as long as I hunt. I am sure some technology now is better, but for the money, IMO, the switchback can not be beat. If you can find one to shoot do it.

dnoodles likes this.
  9. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Also check out the Mathews Z3. Pretty sure you can find one new for around $500

10. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    From that list I'd get the Bear Anarchy personally.

11. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would get a new Mission. Has draw weight & length adjustability. And you get a real lifetime warranty for about $300 bare bow.

dnoodles likes this.
  12. Patrout1

Patrout1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly, and not taking anything away from this forum but my local archery shop turned me on the classified section of Archerytalk.com. I bought a used (looked brand new) Hoyt Defiant with a QAD drop away rest installed on it for $525 to my door. There are tons of offerings on there and if you watch, you can get a fantastic deal. Good luck

13. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    plus one for spending the money on the sight, rest ect.

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

+1

15. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a Bowtech Assassin new in 2013 and my nephew is still hunting with it. It is a very underrated bow and I was sad to see Bowtech cut them from the lineup. One thing to keep in mind even though I said this, the new bows will have warranty's and the used bows will not. That is important to some folks.

16. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the PSE Stinger about 2012 and that bow was great. Not expensive and shot great, just my opinion!! Best of luck to you

17. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to mention, above all else make sure the bow "fits" you. Its pretty easy with even slightly newer bows but make sure your draw length fits and I would even recommend +- 1 inch in case you realize its too long or short. Also make sure you like the way the grip feels when you hold the bow.

Popeye likes this.
  18. Popeye

Popeye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    "I would even recommend +- 1 inch in case you realize its too long or short."
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Are you saying that the draw length should be adjustable?

19. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, and on pretty much every bow now your gonna look at it will be, but on some models your not able to change the length past a certain point. My buddy bought a bow that couldnt go past 29, he ended up being a 30 in draw length so he had to order new cams.

Popeye likes this.
  20. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a PSE Stinger in early 2015 to get back into Bowhunting after a 15 year lay off. When I bought it, my plan was to use it for 1 year and then upgrade to a “better bow”.
    3 years later, I’m still shooting it and it just keeps killing deer. I slowly started upgrading equipment; rest, sight and strings and I can’t justify spending money for a new flag ship bow when I shoot the Stinger so well
    I found the adjustability in draw length and weight a huge benefit as I have progressed as a bow hunter.
    Try to shoot as many bows as you can before you buy, and the right bow will choose you.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums