Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's PSE!

2. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think that's the thrill we all look forward to in that special moment. I have missed many a deer due to not keeping my emotions in check. It's the excitement that gets the blood pumping and why it feels like Christmas every opening day. I've heard it said that when the feeling goes away it's time to quit hunting. For me, the bow is the ultimate rush. So close and intimate. It's a game and more often than not, the deer wins. Accept the rush as part of the fun and good luck!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

OKIENOCKERS, Okiebob and mathewsmq1 like this.
  3. OKIENOCKERS

OKIENOCKERS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just installed the app. Woohoo. Caleb & I just hauled 100+lbs of gear & corn out to our spot. Don't know how he continues to look good when I feel as if I might drop dead. Lol. Bring on MONDAY!!! 20180927_172448.jpeg 20180927_173928.jpeg 20180927_174049.jpeg 20180927_171441.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Work him like a rented mule Julie. If you are sweating then he’s not doing enough. You should be supervising only.
    :whip:

5. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My new sight came in the mail, and I can’t wait to rain down some 100 yarders after deer season....or Saturday. But I’m putting my fixed pins back on Sunday. I don’t want to thrash this fine, new piece of hardware through the woods. [​IMG]

6. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I am a shaking mess when a big buck steps out!!! Last year I encountered the biggest buck of my life and watched him come from 70yrds out to 30 yrds in a time of over 10min, I had to tell myself to calm down three separate times and when I finally came to full draw I was shaking so bad I shot right over the top of him! I too am looking to overcome this, the only thing I can think of is to focus on my shot process

7. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is a horse
    E2DD1C5D-07C8-4A91-9B1A-9A544447236C.jpeg

slickbilly-d and Okiebob like this.
  8. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im back! What did I miss?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shocker99 likes this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not so much what you missed here as much as it's what we missed out in Wyoming! Lol!

So I went out last night and glassed my plot. Watched a couple of smaller bucks spar and a ton of does. My two target bucks have disappeared but this is par for the course. Acorns are raining in the woods. And with two days until the season opens I am as anxious as one can be.

Switched from mechanical broadheads to fixed head. Bought two packages of the Carbon Express 4 blade 100gr. So, I am dialed in , set up and chomping at the bit.

mathewsmq1 likes this.
  10. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Season been in 28 days and I haven’t hunted once. Ugh. :sad:

11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_20180925_190734_012.jpg

Shocker99 and MSBK1 like this.
  12. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Folks we have a sinner among the group. I’m kidding....kinda. Checked the plot, the brassica blend has germinated well. NOW I will have a kill plot.

Okiebob likes this.
  13. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well Thursday or Friday I'll be headed up to go pull the cams out and the stands. Hoping for some great pictures.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  14. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ain’t looking good for this weekend either. I just have too much going on and too many issues to deal with. To be honest I should probably just give up deer hunting until after I retire cause it’s the same thing every year. I have high hopes every year that it’ll be different but year after year I struggle to hunt more than 10 sits in a whole bow season. I have too much money and off season work invested to justify 10 hunts per year. My chances of killing a buck this year are getting slim at this point. I haven’t killed a buck after Oct 1st since 2007. Pretty sad that I have 12 Vac days left and yet have very little confidence in killing a buck. I can take off 10/25 - 11/12 and I’ll still be lucky to get in 5 good sits during decent weather.

Sorry to vent guys but this is really starting to get old.

Shocker99 and Okiebob like this.
  15. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I was just yankin your chain man. I think we sometimes get caught up in our own goals too much with hunting, when in reality, maybe 5 sits in the woods is better than zero sits. Enjoy it and have fun with it. If your putting too much money and time in and not reaping the benefits, what do you have to lose if you don’t put the money and off season time in to it?

16. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, just get out and enjoy the time you have. I fight the lack of time stuff too, but itry to give in and hunt b/c it's one of those things I love. Sometimes it helps to find like minded people to make it more fun.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I struggle every year too man. It’s crazy with the kids and work and keeping up with the household. I used to get frustrated with the lack of time I put into the off season/scouting (and still do). That’s more important than using every vacay day sitting in a stand with zero intel. I would save every extra vacay and sick day for sitting in a tree. So if I’m taking off 15 days and hunting every chance I get then what good does it do me if I’m not scouting in the off season. Might kill a few deer and maybe even a big buck but I’d be better off taking 5 or 7 of those days to scout and then take a few 4 or 5 day weekends with remaining vacay days. All you can do is make adjustments to make the most of what time you have. Scout more in the off season to have more intel which in turn will require less sits to achieve your goals. My REAL problem is that my work is just as busy year round! So just remember you are not alone. Have fun and soak up just being in a tree watching the sunrise in nature instead of being at work. That’s all I got...lol

Okiebob and MSBK1 like this.
  18. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Well, October is finally here! Heading to my parents after work and setting up on the backside of a corn field. Wish the wind was a little more out of the West, but I’ll make do. So here’s a little piece of motivation for today....Like George Washington said before his men got on their horses and rode out, “Men (and women), get on your horses, were riding out!”:moose:

Shocker99 and Okiebob like this.
  19. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My opening day hopes have been dashed. I shoot daily and yesterday the cord on my fall away rest came loose from where it attaches to the bowstring. I need a press to fix it correctly and the bow shop is closed today. Oh well, it's too warm anyway.

Shocker99 likes this.
  20. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man that’s a bummer. I sure do like limb driven rests for that very reason