TAG OUT EARLY OR LATE

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kjstaudt86, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Bill H

Bill H Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain. It all depends what shows up early. I normally wait till the rut kicks in to fill my buck tag. Seems like every time I tag out early I live to wish I hadn’t. Just last year I shot a respectable buck Sept 25. After that I saw a solid 140+ at 20 yards in November. I buy 2 doe tags and that keeps me in the woods for the whole season including our late season. I’m always able to fill doe tags but generally just fill one and have the other just to keep me in the woods. My days of killing as many as I can ended many years ago. A little restraint will keep you in the woods.

early in likes this.
  2. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This year it’s 140+ or tag soup for me lol.

kjstaudt86 and Bill H like this.
  3. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in MA....2 buck tags and doe tag lotteries. Then over the counter surplus doe tags. I work in ct. nonresident archery 2 bucks and 2 does or 4 does. And have a camp in NY. Buck or doe archery...DMP'S doe management permit...Buck or doe muzzleloader. Buck rifle. probably impossible to tag out unless you don't work and have unlimited funds to hunt. Thought I might one day yrs ago in ct. I shot a hot doe and saw her fall 50 yds from the stand. 2 min. later a four pt. came in trailing the doe. I shot him too and watched him fall. 2 min after that a 10pt came in on the same trail. By this time the adrenalin rush was off the chart. He stopped at 40 yds. and started thrashing a 4in diameter tree with his horns. the whole tree was swaying back and forth. He made a ground scrape. I was shaking from adrenalin, willing him to come in for the shot. He stayed there for 40 min. and the slowly turned and went back the way he came.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same exact thing with the doe tags, usually just use one. The second one is my excuse for being in the woods. :biggrin:

5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't imagine... that doesn't happen around here....

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  6. huntem steady

huntem steady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Squirrel hunting, running rabbits dogs, running coon dogs boom problem solved lol. Nah im kinda sad i cant hunt the rut but i will still go out and call while squirrel hunting just to watch bucks come in

America...Love it or Leave it

StanfillKY likes this.
  7. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to tag out early once so I can waterfowl hunt late October/November for once and not worry about wanting to be in the stand while combining.

8. Bill H

Bill H Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Years ago this was a concern. Back then not many folks went for waterfowl around here. The last five years or so has seen a huge increase in waterfowl hunters, between that and the guides that lease the farms its gotten to the point my gear is collecting dust.

9. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd be okay with tagging out early. I wouldn't pass up a decent buck because of the potential to see something bigger later on. I live near Illinois and Kentucky. So I could hunt out of state if I wanted to spend the money on tags. I've never had that problem though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

10. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tag out early! Then I can waterfowl hunt and film some buddies of mine. Then I just wait until that dreaded gun season, which I enjoy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would gladly shoot a nice buck early on. I would be a little sad that I'd essentially be done bow hunting for the year though. That's why I like to shoot a doe early and then wait til prime time to go after a buck. But, usually I don't shoot anything :bow:

12. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is all used to do prior to being introduced to bow hunting 4 years ago. Last year was first year in 21 years I didn't duck hunt once. I've let bow hunting take over me and keep telling myself once I get one early season I'll get back into duck hunting lol. Has yet to happen early for me.

13. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I simply don't have the time for bow, waterfowl, work and farming so tagging out early would be great for me. This is one reason I wish I could shoot 2 deer in MN so at least I could shoot a doe early and have some meat.

14. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Luckily I don't have to worry about guides here. Plenty of waterfowlers but they seem to disappear when it starts to get cold.

15. Ryan Cornelius

Ryan Cornelius Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I tagged out I imagine I would still be checking trail cams and scouting for next season. That would be a nice problem to have!

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  16. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    for a buck i'll tag out as soon as the opportunity presents itself. doe i'll play around more and wait.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I want to miserable and tired by the end of the hunting season. Bring on the grind, it is the only way I can keep the hunting urges at bay for nine months after the season ends.

18. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Goal this year will be to fill my tag, haven’t done that in awhile, then the trifecta, bow, rifle, muzzle loader.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind tagging out early because I miss some of the best striper fishing in the fall while I'm deer hunting. :)
    I'm returning from Wyoming and took a buck and three does last week. I still have tags in Texas and Oklahoma so there is plenty of hunting to be done.
    If I tag out early and the fishing is slow I go hog hunting. No sir, I don't mind tagging out early at all. :)

78littlered likes this.
  20. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It'll be tough to tag out in Oklahoma. You can kill 6 deer with a bow! I've been fortunate to get a buck the last two years there.

78littlered likes this.