Why I hold viking fans in contempt.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It has come to my attention that I bother some people with my anti viking stance. I know I can be an ass I can be over the top, most of it is in jest and meant to be taken as a heel popping off but I think if I explain with some examples why I dislike like viking fans.

1st example not sure of the year but it was the Monday after a Packer win at the metronome with Brett at QB.
    I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from a sand volleyball league game, it was the Cub store in Elk River. I was driving my pristine restored 1974 International Scout it had two Packer static cling Packer stickers on the back quarter panels one on the front windshield and a Packer logo in the receiver hitch. I went in and got the things my wife requested and when I came out my Scout was keyed up and down front to back, the cling stickers were removed the receiver logo was smashed and all laying on the front driver seat. I called the police and when they showed up the cop said evidently they do not like the Packers.

2nd example I was leading a 20 person saw team in the St. Croix state park after a big blowdown of trees we were clearing trails and roads. We ate breakfast and dinner in the crap hole restaurant in Banning Junction. The second night the manager came to our table I was wearing my Packer hat and he went off about the Minnesota tax payers paying for a Packer fans meals. I kept my cool because I was representing the DNR so I kept it inside. He said if he had known he was cooking for a Packer fan he would have spit in my food. I brushed that off, the next morning the waitress comes out and takes the crew order I ordered last and the saw the waitress put a checkmark by my order. I told her to cancel the order and told the crew to saddle up we drove south to Tobie's in Hinkley and because we did not have a account set up I paid for breakfast for 20 people. Needless to say the restaurant did not get the revenue from having 21 people eat 2 meals a day.

Another example involved my family we were at a halloween party at a family friends house it was a big party probably 50 or more people there. My son who was 8 at the time wore his shoulder pads and my Favre jersey he wanted to dress up as Brett Favre. I am hanging and chatting by the bar in the basement and I went into the room where the pool table was to check and see what the kids were up to and there was a grown man in my kids face giving him crap in an aggressive way beyond good nature joking. I did not punch the guy or curse him out just explained that he is going after an 8 year old kid.

When the Packers won the Super Bowl we went to Green Bay for the ceremony at Lambeau, my son was starting on the JV basketball team and he had an excused absence from school to go with me to Green Bay. The next day he came home right after school rather than go to practice, he was upset. The coach suspended him for two games because he went to watch that Packer garbage. I was president of the youth football league and our youth football organization was the high school quarterback club's biggest sponsor the basketball coach was an assistant on the football team as well. I called the head coach and explained the situation and it was quickly remedied.

Beyond that I wear a Packer hat when I am not at work rare is the week that I don't get a comment when I go into a business as a customer, I have had some very rude people at times. One example I went to the pharmacy drive thru to pick up some meds, the woman said she could refuse to serve me for any reason and she should not help me because I was a Packer fan, I thought it was good nature ribbing and said If I were you I would hate me too, she got pissy and called me an *******.

I am a big boy with thick skin I enjoy friendly banter but there is never a time when you have to wonder if the people are somewhat serious.

In a nutshell this is why I have little to no respect for viking fans and why I will throw crap out there.

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That ain't just a viking thing Sota, every team has RABID fans/ haters.
    Personally, I can't stand people wearing anything sports related!
    They look like " sheeple"

jackflap likes this.
  3. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i understand but not all fans of another team are that way. Good luck and god bless

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have worn a Twins hat all over Wisconsin and have never had a comment.

w33kender likes this.
  5. Jmnhunter

Jmnhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    wow, when people take it that seriously, they need a reality check, its an F'ing sports game. I understand a good ribbing and chain pulling, but destroying property, fighting, rage monsters, they should be checked into a clinic

w33kender likes this.
  6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Chicago, that type of attitude happens but usually restricted to the venue or the bars near the venue...Cubs fans are by and large generally harmless. Bears fans you'll get some smack talking but usually nothing threatening. But wear a Detroit anything to any ChiSox or Blackhawks game and be prepared to be assaulted both verbally and physically. Just a large segment of trash-bag fan bases for both franchises.

I've been shoulder bumped walking through the concourse, had beer and food thrown at me at both venues, and challenged to fights (never one on one of course; it would be me fighting 3 or more); and it's not like I'm the guy standing up and flipping off the crowd when "my team" is scoring or whatever. I'm just there to drink a few beers, eat some crappy food and have a good time.

axtell343 likes this.
  7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    that's because they don't have a MLB team.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think the Brewers might be better than the Twins, they probably don't see the Twins as a threat. I was bummed when they moved the Brewers to the NL the road trip to Milwaukee was always fun and Kirby Pucket thrived on Milwaukee pitching.

w33kender likes this.
  9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    maybe now, but not historically. The Brewers have had exactly 2 playoff seasons in my lifetime; over 30 years apart. Which is to say 2 in their entire 48 season history. Hard to build a rabid fan base with that record.

Sota likes this.
  10. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I must have been a smart kid and chose not to be a Vikings fan even though my dad was a die hard, it must have been the constant disappointment the Vikings gave him.

11. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's because they feel sorry for you!

Oldcarp and Sota like this.
  12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man I wish I watched or gave a $hit for football...that way I would have a excuse to call sota a @$$hole

dnoodles and Sota like this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Go ahead my wife does not care about football, but she just calls me an ass.

jackflap, Oldcarp and Fix like this.
  14. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wear a Cowboys hat in Philly a Yankees hat in Boston and I bet the treatment would be worse :poke:

w33kender likes this.
  15. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My friends car got keyed here on Iowa State campus when he had a University of Iowa license plate so I think it happens all over the place, not just from Vikings fans. I'm a Vikings fan but my girlfriend is a packers fan, its just sports

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I’m sorry that those things have happened to you and your family.

I know that I will never be one of those kind of fans. I will stand by the Vikings for as long as I live (I don’t know why), but will never stoop to those levels. Talk smack here and there but that’s sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greatwhitehunter3, Jmnhunter and Sota like this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jake I am going to channel my energy against the vikings in another format. The Orrock Moment every episode will end Go Pack Go and f the vikings.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah but what kind of piece of **** keys a 1974 Scout?

19. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Who are the Vikings?

20. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are some crazy and over the top people everywhere you go when it comes to sports. Most people just take it way too seriously. I can tell you none of the Viking fans hated Farve when he played for them after the Packers.

I live in Northern CA and I'm a Giants / 49ers fan. Years ago my cousin and I went to a Giants vs. Dodgers double header at Candlestick. The most action we saw was in the stands with no less than 6 physical altercations. One guy wearing a Dodgers hat literally got his face smashed into the concrete steps. It's absolutely amazing the mentality of some sports fans.

I'm a true sports fan and will argue with refs via my TV like most any of us. I'll whine too when calls don't go our way but what you've experienced has crossed many boundaries on many levels. I completely understand why you have the perception you do of every Vikings fan given what you've told us. Unfortunately I can't tell you anything is gonna change but just keep being bigger than those you have to deal with and take the high road like you have. Best of luck to you on this long tough road.

MUDSHARK likes this.