Nockturnal knock issue

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kjstaudt86, Sep 5, 2018.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    with those monkey arms you're likely to have that problem with about any nock. All you have to do it torque your string at all or pull hard against your back wall (stretching the string even further than your DL) and it will pop off. I'm surprised you haven't had this issue before. Really your only viable remedy is a D-loop or Gator Jaw release...or go back to using fingers.

The only other option is go to a shorter DL. I use a D-loop now that takes care of the nock pinch but I also was having issues with string slap. I also have really long arms and my elbow naturally locks inward as well, to the point where at my natural 31" DL even if I don't make contact with my bare arm if I'm wearing cold weather gear almost always would snag. So I shortened my DL by a full inch, which keeps my elbow from locking in but also in effect would reduce the severity of string angle at full draw.

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  2. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    monkey arms is about right haha :lol:.... but yes I've had the issue for a little while now I've just never really thought about asking the question until I was shooting the other day and it made me curious. The only time it really becomes an issue is when I use my older nocks that don't work anymore for practice reasons. It looks like the groove on the inside of the nock is gone on some of them which may be causing an issue. I'll just trash them before an injury occurs or accidenitally dry-fire my bow.

Planopurist likes this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would never use nocturnals on practice arrows again, had one break once not worth the risk.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    train like you hunt. At longer distances that extra 10gr might make a difference. I don't do it regularly but I will always fling a few with nockturnals just to make sure everything is the same.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sure a few can't hurt but as a regular practice head not a good idea.

Planopurist likes this.
  6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe because you sanded it? :moose:

dnoodles likes this.
  7. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot my hunting arrows with Nockturnals a few times to make sure they perform as expected. After that, I shoot practice arrows that have nock and bushing configuration that weighs close to what my hunting arrows with Nockturnals weigh. I hardly ever shoot the hunting setup again unless trying to harvest an animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My nocturnals always fit perfectly UNTIL it gets really cold out. I am reminded of this each year when taking my arrow off my string after the first cold hunt and my nock stays on my string. I always end up just gluing mine in.

copperhead and dnoodles like this.
  9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't want to glue them in you can add a little bead of glue around the nock and let it dry before inserting. That'll give it an edge and make the fit a little tighter. If its too tight you can sand it down slightly. Thin teflon tape also works good if you have it.

10. realunlucky

realunlucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For a tighter fit just place a regular grocery bag over the arrow before you insert the nock and trim the excess bag with a razor blade. Cheap and works well

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

early in likes this.
  11. RatherBArchery

RatherBArchery Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with nock pinch but also make sure your serving diameter is correct. My practice arrows have GoldTip standard nocks in them as these are the closest in fit to Nocturnals I can find. I build my own strings and serve so the GT nocks fit correctly and never have an issue when hunting season rolls around..... If you don't use tied nock sets inside your D-Loop I suggest you try it, especially on shorter ATA bows.

12. RatherBArchery

RatherBArchery Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You will also know it is nock pinch if your arrow tries to lift off the rest during your draw.....