Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. This deer is already a giant (antler wise) and you said yourself that you think he is very killable. This makes it a different story than it was with those other bucks. It sounds like you aren’t really super confident in the ability of your farm to shelter him or this would be an easy decision. If you and I had this deer living on my best farm here in KY we would have made this decision easily and long ago. He’d have such a high chance of not only surviving but not even being known about that this sort of a decision becomes easier. It would be harder for me than it would be for you because I haven’t killed the caliber of deer that you have but I could do it.... after you talked me into it. :biggrin:

boonerville likes this.
  2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes that is the tough part. Last year he stayed on my farm every day until October 24th, then vanished during the rut...then he showed back up December 5th and stayed around. So he lives on my farm, but leaves for the rut, which is what scares me.

3. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a tranquilizer dart gun and shoot him and then saw off most of his tines and cut his main beams down to about 15” long. Problem solved.

4. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    By far not the biggest buck to come off that farm but hands down the coolest and for sure the oldest. He had almost no teeth left.

5. boonerville

Dislikes Received:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let's hope that you get him close enough that you have to decide. My experience is that you know instantly what is in your heart once presented with an opportunity. It's like flipping a coin on a decision and knowing what side you want as soon as it is in the air. You will do the right thing, what others think doesn't matter.

KDORSETT12 likes this.
  7. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with drenman on this.

boonerville likes this.
  8. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the team. What is your cover story? What part of Illinois are you in?

9. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I say you should wait and see if he reaches his maximum potential. Yes he is a monster but you won't know if he'll grow or how much, unless he goes another year. Worth the risk i'd say!

10. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the team!

11. countryfamily

countryfamily Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I totally understand where you are coming from. Now coming from another view. I hunt public land. If I were to see that brute walk in range. There'd be some big buck fever goin not gonna lie. But I'd be letting an arrow sling. I haven't hunted any private property so being able to get a great selection or keeping up with bucks is it out the question. Not sure if that helps at all. But I'd take'em

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

12. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man, would love to have those problems, lol. I'm thinking like some of the others, you will make the right decision at the moment he stands in range. Good for you if you can let him walk, I'm not sure I could.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    Boonerville, couple things o would like to pick your brain about. A group of 4 guys started collecting preference points this year w/ a plan to go out to Iowa in 3-4 yrs. Our choices are going w/ a guy who guides NE MO and zone 5, finding a lease, or trying public. Our planning at this moment is going for 2 weeks (makes it expensive for a guide)
    And we have a camper available to spend the time in if needed. The question is what would be the best direction for us to head in this venture? Mind you, we are PA guys who would love a chance at 140 buck. Thoughts?

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe unless I’m your neighbor. :evilgrin:

15. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Flopdrop welcome! Another Illinois boy? Awwww shizzy.

16. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    9997B873-DD17-41BB-B333-A259E6F44644.jpeg FC301A8F-976B-41D0-B2C0-457E8B19B751.jpeg Booner I agree with letting the moment do your thinking for you. That’s a tough decision. This Deer above we call Jon. My uncle decided to start hunting him at 5.5 yr old. I guess he’s about 190” right here. At 4.5 he was about 175-ish. He’s extremely nocturnal but he has slipped up a couple times and gotten lucky to not be on a wall right now. I get permission to hunt him late season but he’s a ghost by then. We don’t have pics this year but He is confirmed alive by the farmer who said he is not nearly as big this year. Says he lost about 20”and seems like he has a hurt leg. He will be 7.5 yrs old this year. All I’m saying is you don’t know what can happen. A lot of variables that could impact what you are hoping he will become. I have let a few deer walk that I didn’t even know why I let them go. I just listen to my gut when the opportunity presents itself. All that said if I was in your shoes with the resources you have and the other farms with big deer to kill..... I would give him a pass. That’s me personally.

drenman, boonerville and MSBK1 like this.
  17. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As someone who has 4 Iowa preference points I be watching for this response like
    FDBDF180-9436-4F35-8C6B-AC098AB302CE.jpeg

boonerville likes this.
  18. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Well if you are used to East coast hunting, a 140” on public land is more than doable if you have two full weeks. A 140 here is likely a 3 year old. Obviously the more scouting you can do beforehand the better. If you want to go the public land route, I would recommend taking some trips in February when all the sign is still fresh. Much easier than scouting in July. A lease would be a great option as well as it would give you more control and flexibility on hunting dates, food plots etc. I actually know a guy who could likely find you a good lease in whatever zone you are looking. I don’t have any experience with an outfitter as i have never used one. But if you are limited on time that may be a good option. Bear in mind most of the more reputable outfitters here have penalties for shooting 140” deer, because they are usually 3 year olds. So keep that in mind. You may have to pass a 135-140 with an outfitter even if it means going home empty handed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. pastorbigdan

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks. I heard that Iowa lease land isn't as hard to find due to the limited tags for archery but wasn't sure about that. I think that would be my first choice, second would be public, and third a guided hunt. Question on the zones, we were told 5 was the one to go to?? Are there better ones than others and why? Thx for entertaining a few questions.

20. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    zones 4, 5 , and 6 are generally considered "the" zones because that's where the highest deer population is. I live and hunt in 4 & 5. But that also means the tags are the hardest to draw. 4 years for an archery tag. If you want to hunt sooner...I would look a SW Iowa in the Loess Hills area, or NE Iowa in the bluff country near the Mississippi. Both those areas have some giants also. Honestly anywhere south of I-80, or anything within the counties bordering the Mississippi, are going to have good bucks.

pastorbigdan and drenman like this.