RACK AND ROLL! TEAM 14!

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by kjstaudt86, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I would have drawn a tag here at home I would be hunting already. I have to wait tell November.
    I like the Black Hornets in a 125 grain for fixed and the Shwackers for mechanical.

I did watch my son in law blow a stock on a 190ish Mule deer Saturday. Saturday Morning at first light I walked right into about 50 head of elk. Needles to say I didn't even get a shot. My granddaughter thought it was cool

2. P&YChaser

P&YChaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be shooting the G5 carbon steel Manteca again this year. I’ve been impressed with them so far. I’ve taken 2 buck with them and one blew through the front shoulder and lodged in the off side shoulder!

Season for me starts September 15 and I’m hoping the acorns will be dropping as there are quite a few on my property.

3. dustywilmuth

dustywilmuth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a muzzy 125 ussually, tried a NAP double cross last year and almost lost a buck over it so
    Im strickly fixed blade now! Any sugestions in better broadheads?? my season opens 15 of september in wisconsin and in illinois it opens october 1st!

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting as primary slick tricks for years...they are tipping mine again. I also have some DRTs that fly great and have performed well.

Iron Will heads however are my crush I must get before next year. Amazing quality and made ridiculously well. I am a huge fixed fan over mechanical personally...but on deer admit it is less of an issue than if pursuing elk or larger varieties.

Also I'll share a couple bucks I'm after...once I harvest a doe on two of my properties I earn a 2nd buck tag being a reduction zone area....so may chase a couple. First up is just my personal property...

The third picture of the one all funky is best photo I got of him on phone at moment...all of these bucks are around all the time but that buck has been on radar since 2016. He was hit by a car in November of that year and his right rear leg was pretty rough shape and blew apart his rack....he lived somehow through it and 2017 saw him grow into that last image attached....his right rear leg was only used to stabilize...no weight applied.

I chased him and him only most of the year, passed a near or at 130inch elsewhere because of him. He was slow moving but incredibly smart and I only laid eyes on him once but cams had him within 80 yards of me many a hunt...

Entering the 2017/2018 winter I thought for sure he'd die to yotes. He pushed does and one day he went by "fine" and came back through more lame than before...really unable to use.

Somehow this dude beat odds of winter again and the yotes and made it. This year he has regressed and is beat up due to not being able to groom himself. His ears got infections and picture doesn't show but he lost chunks of his ears.

So this season while he may not score the best, this old dude is #1 due to story and condition.

His name was Gary (wife named) in 2016 but then switched to Bertier for Gary Bertier "strong side-left side" from Remember the Titans lol...fits him to a T.

I'll share other property bucks on possible watch later...none have the story of Bertier.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Josh/OH and Oldcarp like this.
  5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot to upload the 2017 photo of him...here it is.

Attached Files:

Josh/OH likes this.
  6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, he's a real freak! Good luck putting him out of his misery.

7. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's an awesome story, hope that you can close the chapter on that dude.

8. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gary would make for a cool mount!

9. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He’s one hell of a fighter! I think a buck like that makes more of a trophy than a high scoring deer!

tynimiller and Josh/OH like this.
  10. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Look at game winner from academy stepping up their game. It looks almost identical to the hawk stands that are being made. I have two stands already from hawk (cruzr and kick back xl) doesn't seem like a bad deal honestly! What's y'all's thoughts on it ?

Attached Files:

11. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that looks pretty identical. What was the price difference between the Hawk and the game winner?

12. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    $130 -150 for both stands round about. But I'm tempted about this stand to maybe set up another location for cheap.

13. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    When's the next time you guys are going to check cameras? I'm headed up saturday and CANNOT WAIT!!

Josh/OH likes this.
  14. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be checking my Covert again on Sunday, it will have been sitting for 2 weeks. I'm like a little kid at Christmas going in. :biggrin: I'll also be setting up my Cuddeback Attack as a back-up in the same area. It has been my most reliable cam yet. This is the 7th season for this cam, unreal! :tu:

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  15. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I'm going on 3 weeks since being at the lease. Would've went this passed weekend if it hadn't been for my short two day trip to Philadelphia. Hopefully you have some good ones on camera man!! I'm planning on pulling some that have been on a mineral site for close to a month and half of not being touched.

early in likes this.
  16. Simplman

Simplman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pulled my cameras until season opener. I don’t have a way to check them in the field and I don’t plan on being in the woods until opening day. On opening day I’ll set them out on some scrapes and rub lines I find. I’m trying to avoid messing up the normal activity in my hunting area. I have a good idea on how they are moving, not too worried about the lack of deer moving by me.

early in likes this.
  17. early in

Dislikes Received:
    kj, your anticipation level must be waaaay up there! Share some pics if you get something good.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  18. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My son in law Connected last night with a good buck

Attached Files:

Josh/OH, P&YChaser, Simplman and 4 others like this.
  19. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    It's a newer site we've set up this year on a good ridge line that's mainly oaks on one side with the other side being a young timber thick covered bedding area. A lot of rubs on trees in the initial area and caught a few bucks coming through occasionally in the background this season. I'm hoping some of the patterns have changed and get some good pictures.

May also switch one of my other cameras on another mineral site to video mode to get a good glimpse of monarch since he seems to use that area a little more.

early in likes this.
  20. kjstaudt86

Dislikes Received:
    Me and a buddy are considering the cuddelink cameras to where we could check one initial camera without having to distrub the other pieces of the property or hard to get to places. It looks like a good system, I'm just not sure of cuddeback cameras in general since I've heard reviews are ok at best on them. Another issue would be the money to fork out for the system of 4 camreas initially to start off with.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018