Who started you bow hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Worzeth, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Halonhunter

Halonhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Chick from the movie brave. Yea I said it! My wife loves to tell this story to her friends. To this day, when I hear the music from the movie, I get hype and start taking pot shots at my son and wife with his toy bow. Now that I say it out loud...I think I have a problem.

grommel and Josh Reed like this.
  2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad got me into hunting. I asked for a bow for my birthday while in college. I am the only one in my family who bowhunts, so I am self taught with archery hunting. Started in 2004, killed my first deer in 2007 and have killed at least one with a bow, every year since. My best year was four in one season, all does. Got my first archery buck in 2016 and my second one last season.

grommel and Frankiecruzer like this.
  3. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A girl I grew up with introduced me to her boyfriend - we became friends and he wanted me to take him golfing for the first time. I told him I'd take him golfing if he promised to take me deer hunting.

The rest is history summed up in somewhat chronological - I took him golfing - he took me hunting - I killed an 8 point my very first hunt - they got married - they got divorced - he got re-married - I was a groomsman in his second wedding - he was a groomsman in my wedding this December - we are neighbors with connecting properties - we lease a hunting property together.

4. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My grandfather for sure, but I owe my passion for bow hunting to a Vietnam vet by the name of Frank Cox. I had a bear 40 lbs I think, he saw me shooting barn swallows in the garden 10 cents a piece for a dead one. Took me under his wing my first hunt at 12 years old was the strawberry mountains of Washington state. We were with another vet friend of his, we harvested a cow elk that day. I’ve never looked back

grommel, cantexian and Frankiecruzer like this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    20180822_160159.jpg

grommel likes this.
  6. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had a co-worker that helped me get bit by the bowhunting bug.

grommel likes this.
  7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My dad got me into hunting. He organized and MC'ed the Missouri State Turkey calling contest for years. I got my first buck when I was 10 years old and was freaking hooked, it didn't hurt that my dad was whitetail crazy as well. My stepgrandfather got me into archery, he and his wife were members of the St. Louis Archery Club from the fifties into the eighties. He gave me my first Hoyt recurve in 1984 for my tenth birthday. This old guy Earl would come out to the farm in Hermann and give me a few pointers about archery.

grommel likes this.
  8. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My dad bought me a bow after I had gun hunted for maybe 7 years. Less than 5 years later I left my guns at home for good. I loved it from the beginning. I was a horrible shot and had no one to teach me how to shoot. Trial and error and old bowhunting magazines got me pointed in somewhat the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it was love at first sight :biggrin:

grommel and sycamoretwitch like this.
  10. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Come from completely different up bridgings but has been one of my best friends for many years now. Life is odd that way.

Shocker99 and virginiashadow like this.
  11. Russ morton

Russ morton Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It all started in Cub Scouts as a child. Then has done nothing but grow since then. Lol it is one of my therapists (Harley’s, working out and archery) and keeps me from throat punching idiots.

Shocker99 likes this.
  12. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My cousins were the ones that sparked my interest. But it wasn't till I moved right next door to a hunter safety instructor that I was able to get started!

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up small game/shotgun deer/and waterfowling with my uncle. Started at the age of 8 with a 4-10 and killed my first rabbit. From that moment I knew I was a natural born stone cold killer lol. Picked up bowhunting when I was maybe 13 yrs old.

grommel and Okiebob like this.
  14. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    in 1967 a group of us 5 local guys decided to take up bowhunting, with used stick bows we practiced and headed out to the woods, lost a lot of arrows with no deer killed, But so much fun, we graduated to recurves and with more practice and experience we finally began connecting, to this day we all still bowhunt

grommel likes this.
  15. Kyle Sinclair-Smith

Kyle Sinclair-Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For me it was my grandparents and their infectious passion of bowhunting. That and the face we run an archery only outfitting business so whether I liked it or not, I was going to be surrounded by it for 3 months of the year. My grandparents raised me so our vacations were always hiking, hunting, or hunting store related. We would take trips down to the States to check out Cabela's since we didn't have one in Alberta when I grew up. I have been shooting a bow since I was two and hunting since I was 12; I am now turning 32, a licenced guide and working on taking over the outfitting business. It's in my blood and I want nothing more than to pass it along to my son.

16. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, when I was 14, a long long time ago, a buddy and myself went into the local Te Amo,its like a magazine shop, papers, etc. While scoping out the local Playboys to sneak out of the store ( yes, steal them) I saw a magazine called "Bowhunter" ! Well, Ed swiped the playboy, I swiped the Bowhunter!! Thats my story!!

17. Roamer

Roamer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At age 10 I asked my parents for a fiberglass recurve from a Montgomery Wards catalogue for my birthday. I lived with that thing in my hand when I wasn’t doing chores on the farm. My parents recognized my strong interest and got me a Browning compound for my 12th Christmas and a true archery nut was created. I had no one to teach me as no one in my family at the time hunted big game (running coon was my dads pation and we did that 4 to 5 nights a week) been about 44 years of everything archery bliss.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nobody. I married into a gun hunting family and picked up hunting from them. After a couple years, I realized I could hunt deer for 4 months instead of like 10 days. So, I bought a bow off Ebay and started my solo journey to becoming a bow hunter.

19. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My brother got me into hunting when I was younger, but I didn't get a bow until about four years ago. I'm mostly self taught via YouTube, forums, and the Nock On podcast. Still have yet to get my first archery kill. Hoping I will get the monkey off my back this year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now that is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk