Coaching - Pursuit of archery accuracy?!?!

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by frankmcd, Aug 14, 2018.

1. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Guys and gals,
    Wanted to offer up a thread for the forum to help followers of the show and Bowhunting.com with their accuracy and obviously tuning.

As some of you may know or have heard I’ve had the honor to work with some of the BHOD Prostaff and I coach day to day at my training center in PA called Grass Hollow Archery.

This thread is for the bowhunter that ......
    - pin hits the middle and you can’t “not” hit the trigger or button
    - can’t get pin in the middle and your stuck on top or bottom of the bulls eye or vital area
    - as soon as the pin on a live deer hits the body you can’t control waiting on the shot
    - can’t hold 1-2” groups at 20 yards
    - can’t hold any groups 30+ yards
    - arrows fly weird
    - random shots left
    - random shot right
    - arrow won’t hit behind the pin
    - broadheads won’t hit/fly the same as field tips
    - vertical groups
    - horizontal groups
    - inconsistent shots
    - can’t paper tune your bow

And much much more ...

If this sounds like you, this thread is for you!
    Follow me on Instagram at fmcd_archery or send me a friend request on Facebook.
    Thank you,
    Frank McDonough
    Bowhunting.Com Brand Ambassador
    USA Archery Level 3 Coach
    S3DA Advanced Coach

2. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll bite. I got the new Triax this year (first new bow in several years), and am having trouble grouping well past 20 yards. I am wondering if there is too much tension on my drop-away (Ripcord). I tried paper tuning, but not sure if I am doing it exactly right.
    Thanks.

frankmcd likes this.
  3. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly I would have to see the bow and see you shoot. It may be worthwhile for you to send videos but in all actuality it could be so many different things that without physically having the bow and hand it could be very difficult to diagnose. It very well may be you or the bow or a combination of both.

Here is the video analysis tutorial

If you would like to send me the bow we also do bow tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.O likes this.
  4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just added you on Instagram and Facebook.

What are some of the most important tips you give to archers? New or seasoned doesn't matter, what's the most important piece of advice you can give?

Augurcast and frankmcd like this.
  5. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much! I tried to friend you on FB and the option wasn't there.

6. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Can you send a message?

7. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    95% of my new customers and bowhunters I work with are too short on their draw length according to the USA Archery National training system for archers. I recommend finding a coach or utilizing online coaching services like I do to get a video analysis and make sure you’re in an that best biomechanical position. In all seriousness you will shoot better and mistakes will happen less often. Having your body in the best position is very very over looked but the General bow shop.

I have a vlog coming out soon through my training center page that discusses this thoroughly.

Once you get that part looked at get on an actual shooting program 365 days per year and take serious look at fitness as well. Archery practice is more about quality of shots vs quantity.

If you need more info hit me up on FB or our page Grass Hollow Archery

Augurcast likes this.
  8. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This sounds like a useful thread. My question is more about being a coach. I am thinking of doing the level 3 USA Archery training, but am not sure if I want to burn the time or money. Right now I am the NASP coordinator and trainer for my school district, and I am a 4H shooting sports leader for archery in my county. I used to run JOAD/AAA when I was in Nebraska, but here we really don't have a JOAD club. I have been wanting to do JOAD through my Rod and Gun club, but people already complain about the $35 annual membership fee and the $15 insurance fee. Having them become members of USA Archery would seem to be a stretch for many. On the other hand, if I can help a kid make it to a higher level that would be very fulfilling. I'm also going to set up some sessions with a level 3 coach that helps me teach NASP BAI courses os I can improve to. With all the rambling, the question is, "is the level 3 course worth the investment of time and money?" And I don't do Facebook anymore.

frankmcd likes this.
  9. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My level 3 was 200% worth it with Larry Wise. But level 3 is more geared toward individual programming, shooting techniques and competitive archery.
    I do so much coaching and training level 3 was a must and level 4 isn’t far away. Between my online/remote coaching, private lessons and competing shooters it’s imperative.

However for purposes of growing archery and getting the Scholastic 3D Archery level 1 sounds like a better option.

If you have further questions about S3DA shoot me a number and we can chat.

Frank

10. Augurcast

Augurcast Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good place it seems for any answers I might have.

frankmcd likes this.
  11. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With pins I dont have problems with groupings...... now with instinctive shooting lol sometimes I have problems grouping.

12. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:

I shoot competitive barebow so yes I could help. Are you snap shooting? A video would be necessary for me to actually help you

13. Artem256

Artem256 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh okie dokie next time I shoot Ill vid it.