Water

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Mpeck2892, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Mpeck2892

Mpeck2892 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    interested to see and hear ideas for adding a small water hole. Don’t have any machinery for digging. I have heard about digging in a small kids pool? We have a few areas that are kinda dug out already from old mineral sites, they hold water for awhile but seem to drain if it’s hot and dry for awhile. So was also thinking just dig them out a little better and line The bottom with a tarp.

2. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My brother has tried the kiddie pool thing, we have trail cam pics of the deer standing in them all the time. They eventually end up poking a hole in the bottom with a hoof and it drains the pool. I would go for something a little more sturdy

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have put an 8 gallon bucket out by the mineral stump the deer will use them.

4. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  5. Danny Evans

Danny Evans Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Line your pool with liquid flex seal it will withstand anything we use it for almost everything

Sent from my LG-M150 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Small tubs or tanks can definitely get you by if you are looking for inexpensive, and quick. I do strongly recommend cleaning them out annually though if possible in the spring. Also, make sure you put a stick in to let the little critters get out. With that said I typically always recommend to install a larger wildlife pond 25X25 approximately in size. This holds quite a deal more water, and also allows you to establish a sound aquatic ecosystem. I attached a picture of one of the ponds I installed. The next step for this one is to add aquatic plants (arrowhead, bulrush, etc.).

Attached Files:

7. EvoldedWhitetailSolutions

EvoldedWhitetailSolutions Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the heavy duty cattle water troughs you can get at farm supply stores. I have installed over 200 of them to date and have great results with them

8. Mpeck2892

Mpeck2892 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did you have to line that p0nd with anything to get it to hold water all year? And did you have some type of machinery to get it dug out?

9. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used a 24 mil synthetic pond liner for that pond. I rented a mini-excavator for the day at $220.00 which I used to get some other odds and ends done around my farm. Definitely not the cheap option, but the right one.