2018 Champions. THIS THREAD LIVES FOREVER!!!!!

Discussion in '2019 Deer Contest' started by Benny_Bucks, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great video Joe. I hope you kill another just like that for the team this year

2. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck! Some day I hope to have the patience and discipline to get a solo archery kill on film, but not this year

3. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am good with Ben as well for captain, it looks like everyone on the team is pretty active so we shouldn’t have any issues with communication.

As for me, so far this year I have seen some nice bucks returning. There is a lot of soybeans on neighboring properties so for the most part my trail cams haven’t picked up anything to write home about. I hunt exclusively public land in Western New York and unfortunately don’t have any western hunts planned for the year. Although an elk hunt has been on my mind for the second week of September, so I may be taking the 28 hour drive.

Benny_Bucks likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    #NYstrong

cml5895 likes this.
  5. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We are going to show these guys why NY is one of the worst deer hunting states in the country!

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    About Fix
    I have 15 acres at my house that I can take a doe from all season. I manage a 400 acre farm alone. It butts up to another 600 piece that only one other guy hunts. It holds a few big boys. But I will again be waiting for a buck called Dilater. I had a bunch of encounters with him last year but could not seal the deal. I even brought a guy from my team last year out and he had a encounter with him....this is the year he dies. Besides that I hunt a 100 acres lease and my brother 115 acre land of the giants. I shoot a Heli and work from home quite often so I hunt....alot.
    I'm happy with Benny as èl captain.
    We only have 10 ppl so we might be getting a alt to sear up the numbers.
    If we all just kill a doe and a buck...any buck...we can hang, we got this.

OkieArrowSlinger likes this.
  7. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Benny has my vote for captain.

The property I hunt near my house in Illinois is just a few tree lines and a couple small 5-10 acre blocks of timber surrounded by ag fields and other little timber islands and tree lines. In this area if it's flat it is farmed so there isn't much timber around here and if there is it is already hunted by the farmers who own it or their family. The second place I hunt is our family property in Ohio Co Indiana. We have 207 acres most of it is timber except for a few tiny 1-3 acre pastures. The terrain is very hilly so we usually hunt the ridge tops.

Typically throughout the summer I make several trips to Indiana to run cameras and plant a couple food plots. I usually will hunt around my house off and on throughout the season and make a few three day trips to Indiana as well as a 10 day trip during the first part of November. But this year is a little different. My wife and I are expecting the birth of our first child in a couple weeks and because of that I have not been able to get to our property to hang cameras and plant any plots. Fortunately for me since she has a crazy long maternity leave she plans on going to Indiana with me this year while I hunt so I shouldn't miss much time in the woods. I just won't have any updated scouting information or food plots to hunt over or near.

Either way it should still be a good season and hopefully I can some meat in the freezer and some points on the board!

8. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 4 month old son (and 3 year old daughter) and a new job, so hunting time will be limited this season. It might actually help keep me from over-hunting my small properties.

I know my top 3 bucks survived last season, but I haven't seen any of them this year. My biggest buck on cam so far is about 85".

IMAG1002-1.jpg

OkieArrowSlinger and tc racing like this.
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where are those from!! Those are both beasts.

10. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    That's my #1 and 2 from last year. I call the one on the left "Clone" because I killed his twin brother in 2015.

20180414_155928.jpg

OkieArrowSlinger likes this.
  11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What did he score looks like a 150

12. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    Could have been, but I killed him at 3 years old and 128.5".

13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow he looks like he gross' s more....shooter either way. Fingers crossed you take clone this year man

14. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I lost one of my properties due to a lottery this year so I'm down to hunting two properties now. One property is about 200 acres with 15 acres of woods that I hunt but its the best hunting I've been around with little pressure around me there. I know my top 3 bucks survived from last year including a buck I call "Jeff" who will be a 4.5 yr old non typical this year who is #1 on the list. #2 on that list is a wide 8 pointer that I passed 4 times last year he is 4.5 this year as well. I'll post last years pictures of them from my phone here in a second.

I'll be good for a doe but will probably shoot a doe late season this year since my time is limited with student teaching. I usually have great early season success in those 15 acres with bucks moving early season and into the rut.

I think we've got a solid team here and Fix is right we'll probably be getting an Alt here shortly once they get everything straightened out with teams. Looks like we only need one more guy to check in for us then we've got our team so far!

15. Benny_Bucks

Dislikes Received:
    The first picture is “Jeff”. The second buck should be a stud this year and the third buck didn’t really get much bigger as a 4.5 yr old this year

Image1534259328.391964.jpg
    STC_1172.JPG
    STC_1582.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

OkieArrowSlinger and cml5895 like this.
  16. Benny_Bucks

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck!!!

17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff haha , same Jeff from last year Benny?
    (Raises hand )
    I named him

Benny_Bucks likes this.
  18. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    I "hunt" a friends backyard and she keeps sending pics like this. It's a 1.2 acre woodlot with a legit million dollar house in front and a 30' highway sound wall at the back...talk about a funnel!

20180731_164204.jpg

19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    GD! That's what I'm talking about

20. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    The city deer are smart though. I can sit out there 1 maybe 2 times and they disappear.