2018 public land roll call!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jul 23, 2018.

1. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Early season anywhere in the Western 2/3 of KY is a potential seed tick nightmare every time you step out of the truck. The good thing is... knowing that you have a problem (eg being dumb enough to try to hunt around seed ticks) is half the battle. You have to stay 100% aware of the danger at all times. If you spray down with Permethrin you will be fine but obviously that’s undesirable for actual hunting. If you want to hunt without spraying down it can be done but you have to take certain steps to avoid disaster. It’s best to have a little kit with you that includes stuff like a can of tick spray, partial roll of duct tape and/or a lint roller a fine bristle brush, etc. Next you have to have the discipline to check yourself for them every few minutes until you get in the tree and then check yourself thoroughly as soon as you get in the tree. You do this first (maybe even before you hoist up your bow). If you find them on you then you stop right where you are and start getting them off. If there are so many that you don’t think you can confidently get most all of them off then you either head back to the truck or you have to spray them. I hunt a decent bit in September in KY and I have had no problems getting more than one or two here and there by following this MO. Next you might consider trying a pair of the Elimitick pants. I started using them last year and never sprayed down and never got any ticks. I’m buying another pair this year. If I continue to have those kind of results I’ll be sold for sure on those. Anyway don’t let the seed ticks scare you off. As long as you give them about the same respect you would give to a grizzly bear or a bengal tiger you’ll be fine.

slickbilly-d and dnoodles like this.
  2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Walked a new public land today. Only 30 minutes from my house. About 2000 acres. Found much more deer sign today and although the main gates are easy to access, there is no vehicle travel past those gates. Some spots are well over a mile from those gates. Put out two trail cams today and will run them until Sept squirrel season opens. Looks to be a spot I could hunt until general muzzloader season opens in early Nov.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

early in, Swamp Stalker and gri22ly like this.
  3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Is this the “elimitick” suit? [​IMG]

Ridgerunner3 and MSBK1 like this.
  4. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Or you can spray down your clothes before hand and wash them. Permethrin will still be effective.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right but I’m going under the assumption that if it is still present enough to be effective then it is also there to be smelled by deer. If I’m hunting a doe then I agree who cares. If I’m in a prime spot and hunting a big deer then I don’t want to smell like tick spray in the least. Good point though... it is still fairly effective after washing.

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    That was the worst two days of scouting I can remember in terms of heat and bugs.90 plus degrees, no wind, and bugs including spiders with windshield size spiderwebs in my face. Stung by mosquitos. Felt like I was in a Temple of Doom video.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brett you're turning into a prima dona. Have you been hanging out with Tony :D

Nothing says 'hello deer season', like that first spider web to the face. You need a 'spider stick' or a bow out in front of you.

Swamp Stalker and virginiashadow like this.
  8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Lol. I carried sticks for several miles. Finally reached a clean stream and it felt like heaven to wash my face with cold water. About five steps later another big spider web hit my face and I was stung by a swarm of mosquitoes. Scouting will be a lot better in the winter. Will give me a chance to walk all 2000 acres of this new spot.

9. Jonathan Barlar

Jonathan Barlar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t hunted public land in about 10yrs. Thinking about hitting the Shawnee this year, I knobs miss the added challenges of public.

Good luck!

10. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brett, it sounds like you should invest in a head net! They work well with ANY insects. I always keep one in my day pack for when things get out of hand. Thankfully that isn't very often.

virginiashadow likes this.
  11. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be checking my public land cam again today. It's been sitting for 2 weeks now, and I'm hoping BIG TIME, to have a couple of more pics of the 9pt I got pics of last check!!! I'll post pics on any interesting subjects. :tu:

12. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! I was very tempted to go check mine today, its been out for two weeks plus its raining. BUT, I decided against it. I'll wait to check it opening morning while I'm giving my deer time to expire after I shoot it!

early in and axtell343 like this.
  13. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Checked my cam today, but nothing really note worthy except a small basket 8pt, couple of doe, and the twin fawns again. It's early yet.

14. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be doing a little public land hunting in MI and KY this year.

15. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No i havnt ever been there, best of luck to you there this season :)

16. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be hunting public land in central MD. Had a great year last year on it so I'm definitely stoked for this year!

smctitan and virginiashadow like this.
  17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Have had two cams out on a new section of public land for about 10 days. Will pull them in about a week. I know summer patterns dont equate to fall success, but I want an inventory of the deer population. Really interested in how many doe groups are in there to see if it is worth my time to hunt it.

18. MTguy

MTguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting public land in North Dakota again this year. Got my tree stands up on Aug 20th which is the earliest we can put them up here. Also got a couple game cams up and my mock scrape setups. Same area I hunted last year and only picked up one set of hunters on my cams all year. Had to sit in my first stand for over an hour when I had 4 deer come in right after I got it hung.

Put my second one up about an hour later and had a doe come in on me then too. Hopefully there will be at least one of the bucks I targeted last year left. I found a better tree this year than last year so I’m chomping at the bit to get back out there. Season opens Friday at noon!

virginiashadow likes this.
  19. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Little update: I have this guy roaming around now, I’m hoping to get a crack at him soon. Only 27 days! IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0007.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

20. gunther89

gunther89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been trying to help a buddy out here in Wisconsin on finding a buck to hunt. Lets just say I found him a buck to hunt, only problem is it's about 1.5 miles from the parking lot.
    upload_2018-9-2_17-2-3.jpeg