Tick/Bug spray

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Curtis Spears, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Curtis Spears

Curtis Spears Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went out last week checking trail cams and freshening up mineral sites, and when I got back home I found that I had walked into a seed tick nest and was absolutely covered in ticks, so I done a little research and found Sawyer's Permethrin spray, my question is has anyone had any experience with deer busting them from the smell, the product claims odorless when dry but I'm not 100% sure I trust it. Or if anyone has any other recommendation for a spray that will keep the ticks off that want alert deer to your presence from a mile away.

Inspector#12 and IH122 like this.
  2. D. Davis

D. Davis Newb

Dislikes Received:

The same thing happened to me three years, expect they got all over my son also. Needless to say my wife was less than pleased. Since then I have used Sawyers Permethrin and have not noticed any deer busting me because of the smell. I normally spray my cloths and gear down, leave them out to dry, once they are dry I run my cloths through the washer with scent free detergent.

IH122 and Curtis Spears like this.
  3. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I treat my clothing with permethrin and use 40% deet on my skin and openings. But I also use the edges of terrain, cover and structure in conjunction with the wind to remain scent free. So I wouldn't hesitate to spray down with my favorite collagen before heading to the woods.

camo_ninja likes this.
  4. Curtis Spears

Curtis Spears Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I believe I will do the same, I noticed where it said effective for however many washes, washing them in non- scented detergent will probably remove any lingering odor. -Thanks

5. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used Sawyers permethrin last year and it seemed to help not only with ticks, but also with mosquitoes. I didn't "get busted" by scent, but then I never would have known if I did. As long as the wind is in your favor you should be fine.

camo_ninja and cml5895 like this.
  6. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1 for Sawyers. Ticks are the worst

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    if the deer can smell Sawyers it already scented you.
    Sawyers works; period.

Kfili, cantexian and Justin like this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    What he said.

Kfili likes this.
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, never go into the woods in early season without it.

10. Don’t Poke The Bear

Don’t Poke The Bear Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I spray my top layer of camo with sawyers permethrin and wear “Bug Skins” camo spandex underneath it to prevent any ticks from crawling up my pant legs and sleeves. I’m skeptical of the claim that it’s scent free. But the permethrin is supposed to bind to the clothing fibers and last for 6 washes. So once I spray my clothes and it dries, I wash them in scent free detergent. No scent after that

11. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sawyers works but can get expensive. Go to Amazon, get the concentrate and a cheap sprayer. You can make gallons of the stuff for a fraction of the cost of Sawyers. It's easier too, I SOAK my clothes and let them dry.
    I use it Atv'ing, fishing, scouting and hunting. I don't go in the woods without it and I kill deer like a mofo :tu:

12. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    061942AC-911A-4262-A882-7A6F38FAC337.png
    I just bought some of this. I think it will equate to about 5 bottles of sawyers. Hopefully I don’t grow a third eyeball on my forehead.

dnoodles, FEB and Swamp Stalker like this.
  14. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like Sawyer's because it's easy and if I need it I can stop on the way to camp and buy it. I have sprayed my clothes, let them dry that afternoon and killed deer in the morning. Although I agree it's cheaper to mix your own if you have time.

15. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OK, that's the 10%, which is fine and not bad for $7. But I get a quart of 36% for about $20. I use about an ounce per gallon and it goes a loooong ways. That's 32 gallons of the stuff.
    I haven't had a tick in years and I spend a lot of time in tick infested woods.

https://www.amazon.com/Control-Solu...rd_wg=fNfSM&psc=1&refRID=E17R5EF7110CK34NG1JS

Shocker99 and IH122 like this.
  16. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, that 1 minute to fill a sprayer with water can be brutal, LOL
    Sawyers is a huge ripoff and a pita to spray a lot of clothes with that silly spray bottle

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been treating my clothing with Sawyer's Permethrin for years now. I start in late Spring and I don't stop until October. Not taking a chance with Lime Disease. I have never had a deer bust me because my clothes are treated with Permethrin. I have a consistent scent control process I follow. Including not dressing in my hunting clothes until I am at the hunting site. Permethrin lasts several washings before it loses it's effectiveness. So spraying your hunting clothes with a scent elimination spray, after they have been treated with Permethrin, aids in preventing you being busted and helps eliminate any scents on them. So it is a WIN/WIN situation. I have a set of clothes I always wear when I go into check cams, hang stands or do anything where I hunt. Same clothes everytime! This way I know they are always treated. I wash them, dry them, treat them( and my boots) with Permethrin, dry them and I am good to go. It may seem extreme, but I am NOT taking a chance on getting a disease from a tick. To see if it worked, I watched a tick crawl up my pants leg on two occasions. 1st time, he crawled about 6 inches and jumped off my pants legs. 2nd time he crawled less than a foot and stopped. He was Dead! That is all I needed to see!

short69 likes this.
  18. GMCmedic

GMCmedic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. Buy 10% permethrin from any farm supply store (rural king, TSC, what ever you have).

2. Mix with 19 ounces of tap water in a cheap spray bottle.

3. Saturate clothes and let dry.

4.Wash with preferred laundry detergent (last abut 20 washes, i do 10 just to be safe).

5. Use cost savings from not buying sawyers to buy more steaks since you won't have an allergy to red meat, or lyme disease.

A $7 container of 10% lasts me 2 years. I also spray the dog with the diluted mixture.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

IH122 and BB1 like this.
  19. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. Wish I would’ve talked to you sooner. Thought I’d see how this worked out and get more in bulk if it did. I’ll use this up then get some in volume. What manufacturer do you get yours from? I dont want anything from overseas

20. HuntinKB51

HuntinKB51 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great info! Going to try this!

Tags: