Mock Scrapes/Deer Piss Etc. muckin up the woods

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Aug 3, 2018.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This will be the year that i don’t bring anything into the woods besides my bow. Tv gets ahold of a lot of us and I myself was under the influence of the nonsense. This will be the year that I won’t “try” and put out any mock scrapes and piss drags. I had a huge community scrape last year that I tried to setup a dripper on it and i think I ruined it. I’m also done with grunting tubes/rattle antlers. this will be the year that I will hunt and leave the woods undisturbed. I KNOW there are deer in there but every year I try and get cute and fancy and I know believe that I’ve been doing nothing but shooting myself in the foot. Anyone else think that the woods should be left as they are found?

2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 100% on board with that this year! You sound just like me! However I will bring a grunt tube just in case there is a buck out of range, and I might be able to grunt him in closer for a shot. I'm ditching the Evercalm too this year. I think I'm going to smoke my clothes and that's it.

TheHardWoods913, S.McArthur and snuff like this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't bring anything with me, I limit the time I sit and my success has improved.

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep! My hunting style is to be as “not there” as possible. I hunt close to bedding and have never had any sort of calling or scents work. I put out some mock scrapes last year, and I too, ruined a community scrape. I’ve grunted at bucks and every one of them acted like they didn’t hear it. Where I hunt, there is a pretty high doe population. Will not leave the house with out my binoculars though.

5. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had great luck with setting up a mock rubbing tree/scrape/licking branch. The key is using preorbital scent and peeing in the scrape yourself until deer start to use it then stop. I am doing a new one this weekend I will take pics and post em.

6. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    *edit* I won't post pics of the peeing part.

7. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Never had any luck with any scent/lure/attractant/call. I have had better luck smoking my clothes though, so, I'll be in the same boat, nothing but my bow.
    It's going to make keeping skeeters off my peter kind of hard though.

8. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Joe, i can't not bring in a grunt tube or a set of antlers. I have brought deer out of range in to shooting range too many times with those tools and find them very helpful....when not over used or abused. But the scents, for me have gone both ways, so I believe in the gimmick part of that. Only ones I use are the ever calm products now and set up a couple mock scrapes.