No-Till Food Plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by brockman, Jul 8, 2018.

1. brockman

brockman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do any of the many experienced hunters on this page know of a good seed or product that would work for a no-till food plot. I don't have the resources needed to do a full out legit plot and was just curious! Thanks for the input!

2. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve used throw and grow in some real shaded areas where soil stayed moist it worked great. Was close to a creek.

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Penatrator radishes grow on concrete :)

brockman likes this.
  4. brockman

brockman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! Never thought of them, just did some research and they sound like an easy and very successful plot vegitation!

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anytime brother

6. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Crimson clover is great for no-till in the South. Not sure how it'll do in your much colder climate.

There's a new trend in no-till for areas with good sunlight and rain. It's called throw and mow. Basically, you shoot your area to be mowed with gly, give it time to die, throw your seed, mow and the clippings act as a protector of the seed from birds, as well as something that presses it closer to the soil and traps moisture.

No, you won't have a pristine, mono-culture food plot in year one, but do deer even need that? Also, the lack of tilling allows organic matter to just keep building in the soil.

From my understanding rye grain (not rye grass) is the best seed for one's initial planting. Not sure why but the results were there for those who chose this method and seed.

A lot of guys who use this method successfully are on a message board called deerhunterforum.com. Most members were on the old QDMA message board that no longer exists.

It sure doesn't require a lot of equipment. A mower, gly, and a seed spreader.

Sota and CoveyMaster like this.
  7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of the throw and grow seed blends will work provided you have a couple of things. A critical one is seed to soil contact.

I would do this if you can.

• Spray the are with glyphosate
    • Return in a week and rake and clean the area to expose as much soil as possible.
    • Broadcast seed, lime and fertilizer
    • Walk area or ride over it with a ATV to press the seed down to the soil
    • Pray for rain

I like Antler King NoSweat, mainly because its a blend of a few things, but any brand will work. You can get feed oats pretty cheap I think and they will also grow but germination rates might be low.

Good luck..

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I always do winter rye in a new plot as the first crop, it really makes for a more weed free plot the next year when you plant the next crop. It too would grow on concrete if you watered it.

copperhead likes this.