Fall food plot help

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Justin21, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have 160 acres and 45 of that a farmer leases from me to put winter wheat on and it draws deer great but it’s hard to bow hunt 45 acre food plot. So this summer I have went in and made 3 different 3 acre or so food plots of cow peas that’s anywhere from 100 to 500 yards off the main 45 acre field.
    My question is what would be my best bet for fall plots to keep deer coming to the small areas I had made? I was planning on winter wheat because they love it on the 45 acre field but maybe some variety would be better?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I wouldn't bother putting wheat in if there's 45 acres of it next to the plots. Our deer prefer winter cereal rye over wheat, I'd plant a mix of cereal rye and crimson clover...it should be slammin. Works here anyway.
    Winter pea would be another good addition to it if one were so inclined.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    foodplot19 and Creeks like this.
  3. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info I forgot to mention I’m in central Oklahoma.

I tried turnips last year and they didn’t get touched, I was shocked.

4. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard it can take deer a little getting used to turnips if they aren't used to them. Try them again they might hit em harder this year. Do you really get a hard frost anytime during the hunting season there in Oklahoma?

5. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some years yes in November or December but last year I believe it was January before we had a real hard freeze. Had days below 32 but I don’t consider that a hard freeze.

6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try a Siberian kale instead of turnips. Ph of the soil can affect the palatabilty of brassicas or so I have been told. I have great results using turnips in Missouri but not so much in Oklahoma. I am in central OK as well and plant a mix of cereal rye, barley, oats, kale and Austrian field peas in the fall. Ocasssionally I throw in some kohlrabi and chard when I have a little leftover from the garden. I am going to rework a clover plot this fall and mix ladino clover, chicory and alfalfa. If you can mow that a couple times a summer I would suggest planting that to draw them off wheat fields.

Justin21 likes this.