Is Bowhunting a talent or a mere collection of circumstances?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Love his thread and everyone’s perspective.

Emotional attachment basically describes my hunting career. I love everything about hunting and my family farm is literally heaven to me. I’ve spent years chasing single bucks (one for two year, one for 4) unsuccessfully. I killed a buck in between those quests on opening weekend one year because i was in paramedic school, but I’m perfectly content killing does for meat every year and focusing on 1 or 2 specific mature deer. So far the mature deer have beat my ass, but that’s why I love it.

I have other farms but don’t spend any time on them because the home farm is where I spend all my time and it’s where i want to be.

I stand by my original post that it’s 50% circumstance still, regardless of how good you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If I had to compute mine it would be more like 20% knowledge and 80% pure luck. :tu:

Swamp Stalker and Siman/OH like this.
  3. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anytime I hunt anywhere other than the spot I grew up hunting, I feel like it’s wrong. LOL

[​IMG]

This was the tree I was sitting under when I was eight years old. My dad was hammering these boards for a tree stand in 1984.

He shot this buck out of it the next year

[​IMG]

Here’s another one of his tree stands from the early 90s. [​IMG]

I know I posted these pics before. But it’s stuff like this that makes it hard for me to leave.

Shane0709, Hunter Bob, Sota and 3 others like this.
  4. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Location is important but not nearly as important as THE location within the location...which requires some knowledge.

Recognition, interpretation, application, being able to adapt and transfer knowledge to a wide variety of situations. Picking up on key components that repeat....separately of one another...but in the same way.

It may be a collection of circumstances, stacked and set in motion by the ability to reason...and if the ability to reason is a talent....I suppose a little talent also.

LittleChief likes this.
  5. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome. Bet they didn't have safety lines back then either... Hope you get a chance (with a safety line attached) to shoot a buck that big.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No, no safety lines Back then! I’m a ground Hunter, and my buck I got last year, Was walking on that same run that the buck my dad shot was using.
    Only thing I was 20 yards in the opposite direction, due to a heavy fog rolling in on my walk into the stand at 4:30 in the morning. It was too thick and I couldn’t see further than 20 feet in front of me. I knew the spot and I knew the direction of the wind so I set up in a blowdown.
    Kind a like it was meant to be! I called my dad to come out for the track job, even though I didn’t need help. I just wanted him out there and to see where the buck was to try to bring back some memories for him and re-light the fire for hunting.

It worked! He’s going to be hitting the woods with me this fall, in our same spot.

LittleChief and Rick James like this.