YouTube vs. 2A

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by dnoodles, Jun 11, 2018.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    this isn't to start another debate on some of the minutiae in the gun control debate, but since pretty much everyone on here w/ the exception of maybe 1-2 regular posters is at least generally pro-2A in some form; I figured I'd post this- it's a pretty significant development in Google/YouTube's war on individual freedom.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/youtube-guns-brownells-channel-shut-down/

Brownells is pretty much the most vanilla gun parts distributor in the world. They aren't "tacticool" black rifle zealots; they just sell components. They're the RockAuto of the gun world. In other words, they just sell legal items to law abiding people, and showcased good instructional how-to vids that promoted gun safety and responsibility. I don't know how many of their vids featured "assault weapon" type content; but YouTube arbitrarily banned their entire lineup; not just black rifle stuff.

I went to the TAC this week, and pretty much every vendor was hyping themselves in Insta and YouTube. How much longer do you think before Google/YouTube decides killing defenseless widdle furry things with big sharp pointy sticks is morally repugnant and MUST BE BANNED?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    copperhead likes this.
  2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Money is the root of all evil. Once the advertising value of those particular lines of content dwindle down they will cut it. So watch them now and watch them often to keep those numbers up.

3. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I mean, where does it end? Cabelas sells extended mags, black rifles, and accessories. They have a YouTube channel (for now.) But there is literally no difference between Cabelas and Brownells other than size and Cabelas sells "other" outdoor things as well as guns/ammo/etc.

4. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They just got their account restored, but you are totally right. It will not be long before we have to hide like roaches because we are "big bad hunters"

dnoodles likes this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
  6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I disagree that it's purely about money. I think it's more liberal agenda driven than monetary. YT has been attacking most any right leaning channel for a couple years now. Most creators have had their income stream dwindle down to a fraction of what it once was, it's simply a case of political bigotry through attrition. I don't believe for one second that there is a shortage of or outcry from ad sales due to a channel being conservative or pro 2nd. Without a doubt there are cases of that happening but I feel like it's pretty rare when a channel has a few million subs or even 50K, that's a huge and very cheap target audience to reach for a retailer. I'd say it's purely liberal Google.

Christine and dnoodles like this.
  7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Even the smaller channels like mine have noticed it, I used to be able to get 500-1000 views out of a hunting video. Now I’m lucky to get 20.

Same video on Facebook will get 1000-3000 no problem.

There are factors here, obviously my Facebook is geared towards likeminded individuals, but still...YouTube definitely hides the hunting/gun related content unless you specifically search for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/13/talking-back-to-social-media-platforms-the-brownells-case/

meanwhile, last week I drive through the UP of Michigan and pass some lighthouses. I say out loud to my buddy "I'll have to bring my wife up here sometime, she loves lighthouses."

I get home a few days later, fire up my laptop and what do I see? Banner ads for books about lighthouses. I am not kidding. I have never searched for lighthouses in my life. Nobody else uses this computer.

I am 100% convinced your phone passively listens to everything you say. Similar things happen to me all the time. And my phone is not linked to my laptop in any way other than signing in to the same email account. I don't do any social media (except this and the F150 forum) and don't stay logged in to either on portable devices. But I was using WAZE, which does have a microphone feature and obviously also location information. That's kind of scary.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/phone-listening-facebook-google-ads/

Okiebob likes this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am the furthest thing from being a conspiracy theorist but this was one of the leading factors to me deleting my Facebook account. Well, that and all the fake news and rhetoric from both sides of the political spectrum. I'm probably one of the few people that wish my fb friends would just go back to posting pics of what they had for dinner.. As far as 2A and YouTube, they can take whatever stance they want, it's their business and the only thing they will collectively do is create a gap in the marketplace that someone else has the opportunity fill. I think that's capitalism

10. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is almost as creepy as the story of how somebodies "Alexa" recorded their conversation they were having in their living room and then sent that conversation to some other random couple.

11. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your phone 100% listen to you. You buy a contract with them and they can do whatever they want as far as we’re concerned. That’s just life. Don’t like it, don’t have a cell phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I had the funding and technical know-how; I would start a website called "Huntube." Youtube for hunting, fishing, and 2A channels without the political persecution.

dnoodles and Okiebob like this.
  13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Problem with that is BoA, Citi, and Intuit would refuse to process your ad fees and you'd go under.

Normally I'd agree with you but when all these financial conglomerates collude de facto to close off your access to funds otherwise available to general commerce based simply on your support of a constitutional right; that violates your civil rights and possibly anti-trust laws.

Actually, someone at the NRA-ILA should get on this. Be a massive civil rights lawsuit.