camcorder monitor

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by drslyr, Jun 3, 2018.

1. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone using a camcorder monitor to see a little better than the LCD screen. Iv'e been looking at 7" monitor's. I have a hard time finding my animal that I'm trying to record in the small screen of the camcorder. I use a cannon HFG 20 and HFG 30. Just wondering if a monitor makes it easier. However theres so much extra gear to carry I need it to be a spectacular difference with the monitor. So what say Ye. Yeah or neigh? IMG_0932.JPG

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a SmallHD AC7 (7") for several years. I liked it a lot but it was a bit bulky for my taste so I didn't use it very often. When I say bulky, I don't necessarily mean the screen, but the housing was large.

This past year I went with a Feelworld F450. It is a 4.5" screen that is overall about the size of a cell phone. I really like the thing, although I might switch to the Feelworld F550 (5.5") or F570 (5.7") this year for a bit more screen with little overall size increase. I have been very impressed with these little Feelworld monitors. The image is sharp and the colors dead on. They are very slim and work well in a pack where space is a premium. They are pretty affordable as well. Customer service was great for me (they forgot to ship my battery plate) and they communicate well with customers on Instagram. I ran my F450 all through deer and turkey seasons and it never missed a beat. Great product line.

3. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    DEC sounds good but you didn't really answer the question. Will I be blown away by the difference in being able to see and track the animal with the monitor over the cameras lcd screen? I have an extremely hard time following the animal as it moves through the woods with the camera using just the cameras lcd screen. Also in low light does the monitor illuminate you?

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes ... you will notice a significant difference in the ability to see and track an animal. But also ... yes ... it will illuminate you when it is low light. I try not to use my external monitor in the first and last 15-20 minutes. But during normal daylight it is not an issue and it really does help in zeroing in on that deer that is walking through the woods below you and tracking him.

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a Feelworld 7” monitor (cheap).

Pros: Can see a lot better. Looks cool.

Cons: More crap to carry. More in the stand setup. More batteries to keep a charge on.

Halfway through the season...lol:

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have posted this before but this is pretty close to how I ran my setup most all of deer season last fall. It is a ton of crap to haul, though not as much as some others run. This is the 4.5". Like I said, I think the 5.5"-5.7" versions would be a nice compromise of improved visual performance with little increase in bulk.

[​IMG]

7. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the clarification. That looks like a complicated setup there, especially in the dark. So what other gear am I gonna need that they don't tell you about to run this thing on top of my HFG30?

8. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does the sunscreen get in the way of operating the monitor or is it set it and forget it?

9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Once you set up in the dark 3 or 4 times it is easy. I can setup in pitch black anymore.

As for other gear that you "need" ... you need some way to mount the monitor. Lots of options. I like Magic Arms, but there are all kinds of options that may or may not fit your setup preferences. You will also need an HDMI cable. You will need the appropriate battery plate for the type of batteries you want to run ... and batteries. You will also need a battery charger. That is about it to be honest.

Regarding the sun screen ... I personally haven't found the need for one. Even in the bright sun, I haven't found the need for me. That isn't to say that it isn't needed for some, but I haven't needed one.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 7" monitor and it does make things easier, but I feel like the 7" is just too big for me. I think I would prefer a 5" instead.

Siman/OH likes this.
  11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I have a feel world 7" . Its a bit bulky, does help me see the screen but.....It says its a 4 k monitor, and is when viewing, but if your recoeding in 4 k like I do most of the time the monitor goes off when in 4 k .t does fine in 1080 mode

12. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They sure are bulky as hell and you have to set them up every sit which is a slight inconvenience.

My show camera setup is that way though.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk