Thinking Fall Food Plot.....Smorgishborg

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Creeks, May 28, 2018.

1. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've planted a lot of Brassica's and stuff over the last 4 years, and it does OK in the later months...Dec, Jan, and February being the hardest time they hit it.....I don't wont that...I want something they'll be in OCTOBER/NOVEMBER time frame.......Especially October....This is what I'm thinking...
    I live in Southwest VA......First Frost usually around early NOV. This is for a couple 1/4 acre kill plots....

Crimson Clover
    Jumbo Ladino Clover II
    Marathon Red
    Triticale
    Radishes
    Delar Burnett
    Austrian Winter Peas
    Iron Clay Peas
    Fixation Balansa Clover

Need opinions and Ideas....feel free to mix and match out of what is listed, give me what you would do.....Thanks for your knowledge and time on this...

Thank You
    Creeks

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Iron Clay Cowpeas are a fantastic draw. Pair it with oats. Deer will hit the peas early unless you use milorganite every two weeks until you're ready to hunt. I love Crimson Clover, too, but ICCP is as big of a draw as corn (baiting) or white oak acorns.

Creeks likes this.
  3. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When do I need to plant the Iron Clay Peas to still be a draw by October....Now.....or could I wait and plant them mid to late August....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. w33kender

Dislikes Received:
    August. I'm serious about the milorganite, though. Deer cannot resist ICCP's when they're tender and small. The good news is if the chute isn't completely pulled up, the leaves will regenerate in young plants. But still....if you don't have any agriculture around you, they'll destroy a 1/4 acre plot of peas in hours, not days, w/o milorganite.

An acquaintance of mine used the Whitetail Institute "fencing" to protect a 3/4 of an acre ICCP plot until October. But you have to spray the tape fence as often as recommended for it to be effective. I'm not sure it's more effective than milorganite, though.

5. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do fence it until the last few days before season...gonna try bale fencing this year and see what happens....so if I plant in August I'll be good by October...correct

w33kender likes this.
  6. w33kender

Dislikes Received:
    LOL. Unless you get frost, you're fine.

Creeks likes this.
  7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Creeks we plant a few plots in Pittsylvania County. So with Iron& Clay peas they will produce forage in 45 days and need about 90 to 100 days to pod out. So if you want them to pod out you need to plant June/July time frame and like W33kender said with that small of a plot you will need need to contain it or the deer will decimate it. Milorganite may work but fencing if done right will certainly work and is reusable.

From previous experience i just mix some in for variety. Also remember that you need to inoculate the pea seeds if not pre-innoculated.

But in Virginia I like this mix for a kill plot.

Dixie Crimson Clover
    Chicory
    Ladino White Clover
    Durana Clover
    Oats
    cereal rye (not rye grass)
    Winter pea

You would want to plant this late August to first of September for the October starter.

For a 1/4 acre if I had to minimize completely it would juts be a mix of clovers and chicory. That way you can maintain by mowing, fertilizing and overseeding for several seasons without breaking up the ground.

Radishes are good for soil building and a cover crop but they generally won't get hit till late winter. I do plant them but mainly as a late winter food source after season is over.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do.

Creeks likes this.
  8. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in Frederricksburg VA I plant Crimson clover Austrian winter pea Cerial grain rye forage oats as a mix works good as a September planting and the oats and rye are seeded out now and adds cover and food for the turkeys and fawns. The rye and oats will dry up in a month or so but the natural vegetation is going strong. I may do a no till buckwheat if I have time. Nothing better than a good year for acorns :bow:

Creeks likes this.
  9. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Copperhead...thats the reason I'm trying to fine something different...they just don't hit the radishes, brassicas, and stuff till season is almost over..im still leaning toward the ICP for a kill plot...and a mix like you were stating in another spot...Thanks again

w33kender and copperhead like this.
  10. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks very much for your input as well.....W33kender

w33kender likes this.
  11. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Captn, for your advise also......

w33kender likes this.