Make some suggestions...

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Siman/OH, May 8, 2018.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have 4 plots that are getting redone this year. Sprayed them all yesterday, will be tilling them next week. 3 of them are small 1/8 acre plots inside the woods and the other is a 1/2 acre of open land that gets plenty of sun. Last year 2 of the woods plots were brassicas, one was throw and grow and the open one was beans/rye/clover/brassicas all sectioned off.

Last year was basically another soil builder, as 2 of the woods plots were new and the other 2 were only a year or two old.

Soil samples will be sent out soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I will add, im smitten with clover/chicory (my best performer last year) and the idea of planting rape for a late season plot.

In theory, im going to plant brassicas in one of them to continue building the soil, till them under in August and plant rape for fall. I know the plot wont get much summer action but it will lay the groundwork for later season.

I also get alot of bean seed for free, and will probably plant another large section of them. They get mowed off fast and there will be crop beans around but it gives the deer food and i can then plant a late season brassica plot in August once again.

3. dbl lung

dbl lung Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Clover or wheat/rye in the smaller plots and plant the larger plot later with a brassica/bean mix. You may not gwt beans but the deer will browse the tops all fall.

4. GV/MN

GV/MN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I thought of this read I did from Jeff Sturgis as we were planning our 3 food plots. I thought I would share.

Each of your plots, should carry the same food plot combo, across your entire parcel. This will not only establish consistent deer movements to each plot based on the same diversity designed to hold deer for the entire hunting season, but it will keep the deer herd from infighting and higher herd stress levels. When you allow diverse food plot plantings to define consistent deer use for the entire season, your non-invasive hunting efforts become a whole lot easier!

His other food plot tips are here https://www.whitetailhabitatsolutions.com/blog/10-advanced-food-plot-tips-for-quality-deer-herds

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Siman Im with you in regards to clover and chicory. Its hard to beat that combination for small plots.

6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Oklahoma and have already planted a few plots. The plot in the pic is primarily a clover and chicory plot but I also mix in buckwheat and vetch as well as line one side of it with millet. Love the clover and chicory combination come fall. I plant cereal rye in the plot next to it in September . 20180508_153804.jpg 20180508_153804.jpg

Swampstomper and elkguide like this.
  7. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I did a rye/bean plot last year and they destroyed the beans before they got any height on them, then the rye grass took over and they didn’t seem to eat it much.

I like the idea of beans/brassicas together.

As far as planting the same thing in every plot, that kinda defeats the purpose. Each on of my plots has a certain timetable to draw the deer in.

w33kender likes this.
  8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did you plant cereal rye or rye grass? I have never seen them eat rye grass much but they hammer cereal rye. I planted some barley last year, will be planting more this year.

I mixed in buckwheat and vetch with my chicory/clover which would normally be considered a smothering cover crop and not a nurse crop however right about the time the buckwheat goes to flower the deer mow it down and then start in on the vetch. I find in smaller plots it gives the chicory and clover a chance to develop before getting hammered.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to do our normal 100 acres in brassica but since I read Dr. Kroll's determination that they are toxic and deer only eat them if they are starving to death...I decided not to plant anything.

I'm going to have 100 acres of 8' tall weeds, it'll be fantastic.

airenlow likes this.
  10. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well maybe you should just plant whatever Dr. Kroll is shilling for...

Personally, I never plant anything that has a picture of a buck on a bag, I can't bring myself to spend that kinda money on mark up marketing schemes.

This year I have also done the birdseed food plot. $8.99 for a 40Lb bag of birdseed and it's coming up great so far..

11. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I buy my seed bulk on Amazon, way cheaper...same stuff.

12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My local Co-op has in the last ten years started selling seed by the pound for cover cropping gardeners and wildlife food plots. According to the manager it has proven successful. I bought ladino clover for $3.99/LB and Chicory for $6.48/LB this spring. $46 For 50LB sacks of buckwheat, $52 for 50LB of Egyptian wheat and $3.99/LB for jointvetch.

blackbear and Siman/OH like this.
  13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Most cover crop seed makes fantastic food plots.

Okiebob likes this.
  14. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    That’s what I’m talking about.

I cant stomach buying a 3lb bag of clover for $30.

Okiebob and blackbear like this.
  15. pastorandrew

pastorandrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    may I suggest planting a woods plot or both to sweet blue lupine and rape this spring. the lupine will fix nitrogen then kill till and replant your brassicas this fall. I use some SBL in my woods plots the deer like it in central michigan

16. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I do have a bag of rape, I’m not opposed to using it. Since I don’t get a lot of bulbs eaten (some) i figured I’d plant the rape as my fall food source in my brassica plots.

17. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope I can grow Lupine in Oklahoma. I think it get's too hot here for it but I do have a smaller plot in the woods and 5Lb's of Lupine seed on the way so we shall see..

18. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda intrigued by this Lupine...

19. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I read up on it and then went to Hancock Seed, they have 5LB's for $24.99. I have a beekeeper that runs a couple of hives on my place so I figure this will only add to it. I may have missed the planting window but I think they are considered perennial here if you can get the established. Cow and clay peas do well here so.. we shall see.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Try some peas too