Against or For Crossbows?

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by TexasOutdoorsman, Oct 12, 2011.

1. WyoHunter

WyoHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    To each his own. I hunt with rifle, shoot a compound with fingers and use a crossbow too.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  2. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, get what ever you want, I shoot both a crossbow and a compound.

Shawn
    Jennings ProGold
    Easton FMJ 339 grains
    NAP Spitfire DoubleCross 100 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 6 Turkey Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

3. StringJumper

StringJumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So we hunted with a compound bow for many years...I'm now 58.

As I got up in age I started looking at crossbows...bad shoulder...have never had an aesthetic ("how things are 'supposed' to be done") bias one way or another.

We bought a Tenpoint XLT two years ago.

The main difference between a compound bow and a crossbow is obviously the movement necessary to draw the arrow back...usually with the animal in range.

We have found the lack of movement has also allowed for more ground hunting (outside of a blind) and for more successful spot and stalk tactics.

We now rarely climb trees to hunt deer...and the satisfaction of being at ground level with the animal and avoiding visual and scent detection is immeasurable.

My success rate has gone up using a crossbow...I'm sure it is the case generally...and state biologists will need to bake in this fact when determining seasons.

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

w33kender and pick00l like this.
  4. StringJumper

StringJumper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    About distance. My comfort level has been increased by 10-15 yards with a Crossbow

Curious if other guys who have used both weapons feel that is about right or not.

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This useless discussion just ain’t the same without our good buddy I.O. Miss him like an STD

6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds about right. Undermost circumstances in the white tail woods I feel very confident shooting my compound to 30 yards and my compound to 40. That a being said i did shoot an antelope at 45 yards with my compound under ideal conditions. Wide open, no wind, animal at ease. Crossbows despite their speed are loud and beyond 40 yards your asking for trouble IMO.

I'm all for discussing opposing opinions but that guy was a DB. He was the only person on my Ignore user list.

Shocker99 likes this.
  7. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    at least pope and young still doesn't recognize it as archery equipment. once that happens it's game over.

trial153 and Fix like this.
  8. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year my dad hunted with a compound his distance was 15 - 2o yards max based on comfort level. He can consistently shoot the xbow between 30 - 40.

I was not thrilled this year to hear that my neighbor shot his buck at 65 yards and another hunter I ran into claimed his buck was over 55 with their xbows.

This can and does happen with compounds, as we well know and have seen on TV. Advertisements accurate to 100 yards may not be great however, I can't blame them. I would run that ad. Would be like blaming beer companies for advertising a good time. Maybe we need some "Know when to say when" hunting ethic ads...

9. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why? And what "game" are you referring to?

10. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually have to explain?

11. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Swing and a miss

12. Satchmogv

Satchmogv Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Pope & Young also didn't recognize mechanical releases or any compound over 50% let-off for years either. Bet that doesn't stop most guys from using them.

13. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So who cares about Pope and Young. They never paid any of my bills. We are all out there to enjoy ourselves and hopefully have a successful and safe hunt.

14. Cottontop

Dislikes Received:
    I agree 100%.

15. JoeFranchise24

JoeFranchise24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am for the use of crossbows by the disabled or elderly during any open hunting season. I am additionally for the use of crossbows by able bodied individuals during any firearm season.

As for the archery season, in my opinion, only weapons that require some amount of archery skill should be used/allowed - this would of course exclude crossbows.

Joe

16. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of people would argue compound bows too

17. JoeFranchise24

JoeFranchise24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on the fence about compounds and do feel they should have their own season compared to a true archery season.

Admittedly, at 30 years old I shoot and hunt with a longbow - however, hopefully simple logic excludes me from appearing bias.

When it comes down to brass tax, a true archery season, in my opinion, should only include selfbows, longbows and recurves. The compound bow hunting season should be shorter than the true/traditional archery season and the crossbow season should be shorter yet than the compound and traditional seasons; again, with elderly or disabled individuals being exempt from seasonal weapon restrictions.

Joe

18. Cottontop

Dislikes Received:
    After reading this, it sounds like your choice of weapon precludes you from taking game( unless you have the woods to yourself) it may be in your best interest to refine your woodsmenship skills or try a compound or (gasp) a crossbow? If you do a little homework, you will find that most folks that fill multiple tags each year spend most of their time scouting, studying habits and marking trails. They usually don't worry about what bow the guy hunting 4 miles away is shooting? As for a true archery season? Currently there are a growing number of states that rely on archery numbers both in kill ratio and revenue. Both are dropping due to declining hunter numbers. States continue to increase tags, youth seasons, weapon choices and such to keep older hunters in the field and hopefully attract new ones. Its unfortunate that so many don't realize what is at stake here, many of the arguments about bow season are just selfishness disguised with sanctimony.

19. JoeFranchise24

JoeFranchise24 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Way off base cottontop, try to steer clear of assumptions.

I've taken plenty of game with a compound (10 does and 6 bucks, 5 of which would make Pope and 4 of those came from public land with 1 pl net boone in WI). Shooting deer with a compound is certainly less fun and simply not challenging anymore, thus the switch to traditional archery less than a year ago. Last season with the longbow I passed 19 bucks and 13 does in 7 sits (all within 15 yards) and had to pass 3 different mature bucks that were well within the range of a compound and certainly a slam dunk with a crossbow (~35 yards); this, again, was all on public land in WI.

I've been a student of Dan Infalt, his tactics and others like him for the past 5+ years; much of what I have learned is incorporated in to every hunt, other tactics I learned through experience (the majority of which came in learning from my mistakes).

I never said I was worried about what the anyone else shoots (bow, crossbow, or caliber of buck), simply that our season structure should be based on level of difficulty (ex: pre-season trout fishing in WI, before the hook and line season opens - artificial bait and barbless hooks only). In my opinion, hunting has become more about the kill, a sense of entitlement if you will, than the actual effort put in to the hunt and understanding why a specific hunt played out the way it did.

"Those who know how to hunt go and pursuit the game, those who don't wait for the game to come to them." - Unknown

As far as hunter numbers, the majority of the revenue still comes from the gun season (WI). Those who still wish to hunt with a bow or crossbow would logically continue to buy a license even with shortened/weapon specific season structure. Again, it is my opinion that hunter numbers are not the problem at hand (they are certainly declining and so be it) but the entitled mentality shown but many current and new hunters. I would rather have half the hunters in the woods who truly cared for the resource (trad, compound or xbow) than our current hunter numbers - of which many do not care for and respect our hunting privilege.

Joe

20. Cottontop

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your deer hunting spot, it sounds like you have the best seat in the state. I started bow hunting in 1971 when all we had were recurves( reflex/deflex style longbows were unheard of) and what was available would shake the fillings out of your teeth upon release. Like most, I went the compound route then took a interest in the crossbow. I still hunt with all three. Personally, I have never had difficulty between any type of bow if you put forth the effort to master the discipline of each.( remember, steer clear of assumptions) Archery is a short range sport, its supposed to be hard. I for one, do not advocate long range hunting of any type regardless of the tools or skill the hunter has. I have always and still hunt state and federal land where animals can be a challenge if you don't pattern both the hunters and deer in a specific area. I totally agree with your concern about the apathetic attitude of many who share the woods especially with the doe harvest. The state of NJ is no different then WI in that regard