Wireless Game Cameras & Data Plans

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by hammer40330, Dec 18, 2016.

1. hammer40330

hammer40330 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking for advice on cameras that send pictures to your Cell phone. What type camera do you all suggest? How much are data plans for AT&T?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. scoot12

scoot12 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the covert blackhawk cell cam and absolutely love it. It is a verizon based cam. I have it out right now in Wisconsin and the temps last week dipped to -20 below wind chill and it was sending me pics non stop. My brassica plot is being hammered the last week since the temps dipped and we had snow. U have to use lithium batteries in them for longer battery life.

3. hammer40330

hammer40330 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So you have to have a Verizon phone or plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Only with the Blackhawk. Covert also has a Code Black that runs on AT&T I would guess he didn't read the part of your post that said AT&T only. I don't know on AT&T prices since I have a Verizon phone and want to stick with Verizon so I know how much service I have in different areas before I put the camera out.
    There are a lot of options if you have AT&T. You could go with the Covert, Spartan or Snyper. The covert and Spartan will be a little more money up front and have more features. The Snyper is more of a budget cell cam.

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you get the CodeBlack you can set it up to send text messages. Setting it up that way you only need a text plan and a data plan is not required. If you have an existing unlimited plan with AT&T I think the add on is like $15.00 for the new line. Of course it will be more if its the only line.

In regards to data plans if you go that route the unlimited choice plan is 60.00 a month and plus is 90.00 for 1st line. Taxes and fees of course.

The code black is the simplest and cheapest I think. It comes directly to you as a text message or email. if you use email it uses data I think. I have rechargeable batteries in mine and its attached to a 12v battery and solar panel. So far 6 months life is about what I get before I have to put fresh charged batteries in.

6. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why do you need to put fresh batteries in if you have a 12V source and charger?

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Great question. Mainly due to the amount of sunlight available where the camera is. Its enough to charge the batteries but not enough to maintain indefinitely. Doe that make sense?

8. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  9. hammer40330

hammer40330 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Any new cellular cameras on the market this year that would be a good first cellular camera purchase? Any recommendations?

10. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not new but the Covert Code Blacks cost around $350 and there is a data plan for $35 for 3 months. They work pretty well. Battery life can be marginally extended with a $60 solar panel. The photos are posted and you view them with an App on your phone. You can set up to get notifications for when pictures are taken.

Reconyx cell cams cost over $1100. The pictures are emailed (which to me is a huge pain in the ass). Cant recommend going this route.

I have no experience with any of the other cell cams. Go to TrailCamPro website and look too see what they have to say about the other brands.

11. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I recently got a Spypoint Link S. The interesting thing about it is that it has a built in solar panel which the company claims will keep the internal battery charged indefinitely. I personally have my doubts about this claim but we'll see what happens. After about a months use I'm pretty happy with it. They give you the first 30 days free cell service with it. The pics come to an app on your phone but can also be viewed through their website on your laptop. As far as a data plan I'm going to go with the $15.00 per month plan that is paid annually. This is for unlimited photos and storage. It is through AT&T. I also have a Stealth Cam GXW wireless that is through AT&T. They have several plans to choose from but I went with the $25.00 for three months. The Stealth Cam's pics also come to an app but they also go automatically to Google Drive so you can view them on your laptop. As far as a good first cam, you might consider the Spypoint Link Evo. It is the same as the Link S but without the solar panel. It sells for $250.00. I suggest logging onto www.trailcampro.com. There you will find very comprehensive info on just about any camera out there. Hope this helps.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

12. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  13. Jeffrey J Eberhardt

Jeffrey J Eberhardt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody try the Spartan trail cams

14. hammer40330

hammer40330 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I asked a year or so ago now I will ask same question. Any good cellular game cameras that won’t break the bank?

15. B Hicks

B Hicks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Covert Code Black and the new Snyper General. Both work great. Snyper Camera costs less. Data plans are about the same. I was doing the $30 for 3 months plan, unlimited, through Snyper; and $14.99 per month plan for 5,000 pics through Covert.

16. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Stealth Cam GXW wireless that I have been very satisfied with. It was around $200 on sale and has been very reliable so far.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

17. hammer40330

hammer40330 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Can you get AT&T plan? How much does it run a month for the plan?

18. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    There are several plans available. I do the 3 months for $25.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

19. hammer40330

hammer40330 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Is it a certain plan you ask for when getting a cellular camera? I would probably do a 3 month for $25 but I guess is do they know what you are referring to when you say plan for celllular game cameras?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

20. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    You don't talk to anyone, it's all done online. Here is the complete instructions for activating the camera. When you read through this, it may sound a bit complicated. But believe me, it is super easy!

1. Download the "Stealth Cam Remote" App. This is available on iOS and Android devices. You must have one of these phones for this camera to work.
    2. Create a new account on the app. A confirmation email will be sent and must be confirmed before going to the next step.
    3. The camera comes with an AT&T 3G data only sim card. Go to www.att.com/buyasession to activate your sim card and select your desired data plan. For this, you will need to create an account. You can start, stop and change the plan at any time (no contract).
    4. Install 12 AA lithium batteries, SD card, and sim card.
    5. Turn the camera on and go into the menu. Follow the prompts for "Cellular Setup." This will display a series of prompts - follow each one and complete setup. You will need good cellular reception (we recommend 3 bars or more) to do the setup.
    6. At some point, the camera will ask you to enter your account info. This is the account info from when you setup the account on the app on your phone.