New to Food Plots

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by tj_privett, Mar 21, 2018.

1. tj_privett

tj_privett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’d like to try and plant some food plots for the oncoming season here in KY. I’ve got some place in mind, but they consist of shaded areas. One of these areas is about 50 yards wide and 100 yards long. Should I plant that whole thing with whatever I plan is best to put there? Should I section it off into 2 different crops? On the other place, it’s along a ridge where deer just pass through from time to time. What would be a great crop to keep them in the area more instead of them coming and going?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Clover is your best option in a shady area. I don't know where you're located, but in the South crimson clover is an awesome annual forage and will grow in the poorest of soils. Almost a dummy proof thing to plant. Read and up on it and see if it's suitable for your area.

If you're going to hunt this food plot, you're better off with that ridge being a travel destination than a home. IMO, you run the risk of spooking bedded deer every time you come to hunt otherwise.

tj_privett and foodplot19 like this.
  3. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The turkeys like Crimson Clover as well!!

tj_privett likes this.