Gun or bow?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by tj_privett, Mar 21, 2018.

1. tj_privett

tj_privett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just wanna know what y’all use out there? I’ve used both but I would more than love to get more into the archery side of it. I’ve watched every season of bow hunt or die and every time I see the pro staff smoking some thunderbirds with their compound, it makes my drive to try it stronger and stronger. Any suggestions besides what I see from the show?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

bloodcrick likes this.
  2. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go get a bow! It is a completely different experience to bowhunt, at least in my opinion. I have a friend who gun hunts and invited me a few times to go with him, but I just couldn't take the bow out of my hands. My advice would be to get a used bow and start shooting in preparation for the Fall.

tj_privett and WillO like this.
  3. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using a crossbow the last couple years after shoulder repair. Can only draw about 35 #. This year going to go both ways for deer but with a Black Powder rifle. Season run at the same time for about 3 weeks. Plan is to hunt from a ground blind so can use either one, depends on the distance. I don't go for the Army style of hunting. That is not hunting in my opinion. Good luck with your decision. Don't get that show in this area so have no idea about their hunting tactics. Most of those kind of shows are about as fake as they come, under fully controlled conditions. Like the BASS fishing show where divers put the fish on the line for the guy in the boat.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    tj_privett likes this.
  4. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Archery only for the last 21 years for any species.

tj_privett likes this.
  5. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely both for me. The rush of run and gun for turkey hunting is one of the most exhilarating hunts, in my opinion.

I'm fine with setting up a ground blind and decoys and waiting but thats will never surpass being on the ground, chasing them, and calling them in without a decoy or anything but camouflage

DKennedy951 and tj_privett like this.
  6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hands down the funnest hunting I've ever done. You won't regret getting a bow.

tj_privett likes this.
  7. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use both. I bring both. Hope to shoot with a bow, but the gun is the insurance plan.

tj_privett likes this.
  8. zachd

zachd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Archery I don't like signing up for the lotto
    and I like being able to hunt the whole season even though it usually doesn't take me that long
    the one time I did shotgun I got season A and two days into it I got put on crazy overtime at work and wasn't able to find time to get out

9. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No run and gun for me. Old knees won't take that kind of abuse. Once I walk in they are ready for a long break in the blind. Can move around a bit and reposition once in a while. Would like to try one of the new one way vision blinds.

10. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunting is 10 times harder. I don't like sitting in a blind, so that makes it even more challenging. For me to shoot one with a bow I have to get lucky. The tom has to somehow offer an opportunity for me to draw without being seen....usually. I did shoot one 2 years ago in the wide open. 3 toms came into 10 yards and never strutted and would not all look away at the same time. Eventually I just drew as I sat against a large maple tree. They putted and walked off. At 30 yards, one slowed and turned, I drilled him. I love running a gunning. Now I run and bow.

Hit 'em high, watch him die. Hit 'em low, watch him go.

Aim small miss small.

Good luck to ya

11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After years of shotgunning, I wouldn't hunt turkeys again with any weapon other than a bow.

12. dbow

dbow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bow hunting turkeys is a lot of fun but yes much harder than gun hunting. I put my blind on a two wheel golf cart and it makes it much easier. Blind hunt if you can get out before sunrise, run and gun if you can’t. Make sure you can shoot at various distances accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty sure that I have killed them every way that is legal and conceivable, short of sniping one with a rifle. They are all fun. But ... for me ... nothing beats shooting a big ol' tom turkey in the face with archery gear. Bow only for me ... and head/neck shots only.

14. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    First thanks for watching the show. You can choose either way here. you can use a blind or you can still run and Bow. I have killed around 10 birds without a blind with a Bow. The only reason I use a blind now is because I film. Its just to hard trying to film and run and Bow !! Patience, have patience when the shot arrises. don't rush it!

15. Uncle Bucky

Uncle Bucky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I love bow hunting but also love gun hunting. Last year I took a nice tom with bow and got some awesome footage. This year I set out with bow but when I realized my number one farm had birds on it, never since 2003, and a lot.. I knew I'd probably have to run and gun and self film. So I took a gun. Then shot my bird at less then 20 yards.. HA go figure... I was just happy to finally after all these years , kill a bird at the main farm