2018 hunt plans and preparation

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by wl704, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All of my out of state stuff will be waterfowl and a Missouri turkey hunt. Planning on Missouri and Kansas for ducks. Canada and Minnesota Canadian goose trips TBD.... Whitetails will be chased as always all over the southern half of the great ****hole of Illinois

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. TheFitHunter

TheFitHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Starting off with my first ever archery turkey hunt this spring, then followed by a Train To Hunt competition this June. September will be met with searching for bucks in Jersey for my last year in the state

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Struck out again on Alaska LE sheep, and bison. This sheep tag been avoiding me big time. I think I need to just pony up a deposit on dall sheep hunt in the NWT.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you play the lottery...
    http://bighornsheep.org/raffle.htm

5. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    w33kender and wl704 like this.
  6. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We'll be entering year three in a club in northeastern SC along the Waccamaw River Basin. Lots of pigs, a nice amount of deer. I have three ladders up for bowhunting, 2 for a dominant north wind, 1 for a South wind. My bride gun hunts and has a primo spot off a sand ridge. I've killed my one and only bow kill at this club. It's a special place for me.

We'll also be having our usual outfitted hunt on our anniversary. It's also in SC. Gun hunt deer and pigs in the AM, bow hunt the same in the PM sit. This will be the 7th trip there. I'd marry her all over again.

I'll be bow hunting 99% of my limited time in the woods for the third fall in a row. And I'll be turning 50 in April. Wish I'd grown up bow hunting.

wl704 likes this.
  7. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Some guys on here know my plans already, Elk Elk Elk, My Bi-yearly trip to Colorado from UK is planned(with the odd hic-up), thought I'd planned Opening Day hunt, but found out I booked the flight for the week after lol, either way, I'm working out and keeping the fitness at a respectable level. I have no interest in hunting anything else as yet, so in my 23 month off season, I practice, keep fit, watch more YOUTUBE Elk hunting than I care to remember, listening to Gritty Bowmen podcasts and practice my calling with Corey, Dirk, Jason and Paul aka ElkNut. If you weren't aware by now, I'm an Elk Addict.
    Matt, Bill and Dan, I wish you all luck and will miss you guys come September, but should my 2018 prove unfruitful, then I'm Back in Will's Elk Camp for the next hunt. I spoke to Troy and feel gutted I am not gonna be there this year, but I gotta try to bust my white elephant and go back to where I know the Elk are.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Hogs need lovin too and wl704 like this.
  8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As we say in the south "Git r done" this year. Best of luck this season Dave!

Bails-UK likes this.
  9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Semi related have you seen any details about the n grand canyon Bison hunt draw? I suspected it should be rolled out in the coming months.

10. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t heard anything definitive about it. Only that it might be in the works. Sounded like a cull and transfer. Not sure if they will allow hunters or not. I know there are looking at a 66% reduction in three to 5 year. That would be a lot of tags.
    Did you see where you can sign up for it ?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I heard similar management objectives, but sounded like a winter cull (maybe late 2018 early 2019) led by the feds. No details on sign-up yet other than the early news releases.

12. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I've upgraded my bow and scope, and with tax returns, I'll upgrade my binoculars and get a nice holder. Looking at the hunting dates for 2017, Antelope is August 1 - 21, Mule Deer is August 9 - September 10 and Elk is August 16 - 31. So, I'm thinking of putting in for all three tags for the same unit and hopefully spend the entire month of August putting game down on the ground.

I am looking at an elk hunt in CO in 2019, depending on price and times. Any information, cause I see a lot of CO Elk hunts on here, would be appreciated.

Hogs need lovin too likes this.
  13. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The usual apply for all the tags ND offers, probably get turned down. Then hunt whitetails on my farm with some weekend trips to the badlands for muleys with the OTC archery tag. Cap it all off with a mid January goose hunt in WY.

14. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you been to the sheep show to meet/talk to any of the outfitters? I'm considering joining and attending next year, especially when you factor in the <1 club.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Create a separate thread and you likely can get all sorts of advice/suggestions...a number of us are DIYers.

bowhunter448 likes this.
  16. jacobs117

jacobs117 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This is my first year with a bow—so lots of shooting, hiking and learning here in Texas. I have a small farm that has given me access and hasnever been hunted. I am the only hunter. I am also planning on hunting corps land around Texoma. I will shed hunt and scout a little in the next week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been and if your serious about sheep hunting it is worth it. Really good show prices on outfitters and the <1 Club might be your best chance at getting a sheep hunt. Plus it is a ton of fun.

18. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I am just going to write a check and go at this point. Most likely NWT but maybe alaska. tired of waiting. looking at 2020 or 21 being the first open dates i have.

19. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going the checkbook route as well. I'm going the Tur route next though. Looking for 2021 in Azerbaijan.

trial153 likes this.
  20. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dave,
    How about you just tag an elk this year and then still attend Will's next go around :-)
    I'll be waiting for pics...