New Toy

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Rick James, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Finally bit the bullet and ordered a new tractor. I'm pretty pumped about it too.........

I've got a new Kubota L3901 scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. I also have a 66" tiller, 60" rotary cutter, 72" back blade, and a pair of loader forks coming for it. I had them include the quick attach bucket/loader option, with loaded R4 tires, along with the grill guard.

I'm pretty pumped. Plans are to do a ton of around the house type of stuff with it, will be expanding the food plots behind the house, and also use at the hunting leases this year to get some bigger plot options planted. I'll probably be doing close to 5 acres of planting this year for plots and I know it's gonna be a LOT easier with this machine.

I'll post more pics when it arrives next week!

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rick James and WillO like this.
  3. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning on getting one this spring. I can't decide between the 3901 or 4701.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rick James likes this.
  4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Rick, you'll love it. 5 acres? Yeah you're gonna need a bigger tractor....

not, lol. You'll be done with that lickity split. I can do 5 acres of plots with my little kubota and not break a sweat and just a 2670 (I think). I've been super impressed with Kubota's machines.

Rick James likes this.
  5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My uncles says he’s picking up the L4740 after he does a couple side jobs. Not bad he’s gonna get around 5k on trade in and put another 5k down and with 84 month 0% financing that’s a cheap payment. I can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on your new toy. You will love it. One thing to consider is getting remote hydraulic's. I got as many as I could on my New Holland which was three.

Rick James likes this.
  7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice. Your ATV will thank you. Those L series are nice. My buddy bought a used one a few years back with a backhoe attachment to install his own septic field. Almost paid for itself just with that.

Are you going to transport it with your F150?

Rick James likes this.
  8. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys!

Matt - Yes, I’m planning on it. I’ll be picking up a 20’ 10K trailer with a weight distribution hitch before spring. I know the F150 isn’t ideal but it does have the brake controller and it’s certainly within weight specs with the right hitch. I guess it’s all in getting the right trailer, loading it right, and using the right hitch setup. I’m guessing with one implement I’ll be around 7k lbs. My boat is around 5k lbs and it tows that like nothing is back there.

9. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will also love the tiller. One pass and your done. Nice and smooth.

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk

Rick James likes this.
  10. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am a little worried about getting the 4701 because of the weight. The package comes with a 18ft trailer. I have a Silverado 1500. The guy at the tractor store said it would be ok. He says they do it all the time. Thats why I am leaning towards the 3901. I will be pulling only about 10 miles most of the time. I have to go a hundred miles to pick it up. What do Yall think?

11. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    What do you plan on using it for? Do you really need a bigger tractor? I’m going to use mine in the woods a lot so I wanted something smaller and easier to move around. Plus the L3901 has plenty of power for the PTO work I’ll use it for, and with liquid ballast it should be heavy enough too.

You should do some research on your trucks tongue weight and towing capacity. Many times they advertise a number but it’s only with a weight distribution hitch. Also make sure it’s a 10K trailer if your considering the 4701, you’ll be over 7k loaded with that setup and one implement. Even the 3901 is gonna push the limit on a 7k trailer which is why I’m going 10K, it’s only a couple hundred more for that peace of mind and extra capacity. One last thing, with an implement hooked up it’s gonna be tight on a 18’ trailer. Make sure you have a couple feet to move the tractor to get the right balance and tongue weight. That’s why I’m getting a 20’.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  12. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's the problem. I will be using it in the woods and also using the bucket to move dirt on my son's property he just bought. I wanted the bigger bucket but I like the smaller size. I have a two wheel drive 30 hp old AC 5030. That is perfect for the woods but it suffers with the two wheel drive. I will be selling it. My uncle has the two wheel drive 4701 and it's not much bigger than the 3901 which the guy down the road has. ?? I'm leaning toward the 3901.

13. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you're going to be moving dirt or gravel very much and very far, I'd suggest considering the smaller tractor and then using the extra $5K and buying a hydraulic dump trailer. You're not going to gain a very appreciable amount of volume between bucket sizes on those two tractors and it sucks trying to move much volume of material with just a bucket if it has to go more than a few yards.

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Another option for a trailer is if your moving alot of material buy a dump trailer. Then you can tow the tractor in it also. Use it for duel purpose.

Also something to consider is if your buying a 10k trailer, you have to factor the weight of the trailer into that number. If the the trailer weights 3k, then with a 10k you can safely only haul 7k. If your machine is pushing that limit now, may want to step up to 12k trailer. Better to be safe then push the limit of trailer.

17. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My tractor with loader and backhoe weighs 7000 pounds. All 4 of my tires are loaded with rim guard. I bought a 24' trailer and when loaded with an implement, the set up fits comfortably. The trailer weighs 4400 pounds and is rated for 14k. I tow it with my 2016 Ram 3500 dump truck that has 4:10 gears (6.4 Gas). You definitely know you're towing something.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Rick James likes this.
  18. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Greg - What model New Holland do you have? I looked at them closely but ended up going Kubota.

19. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 2010 Boomer 3045. I looked for over a year at JD, Kubota and New Holland (as well as a few others). I knew the cheapest way to get the backhoe attachment was to get it already on the tractor. I did a lot of reading on tractorbynet (good tractor forum) and found that the 2010 NH was the last year with the Shiburu (?) engine. After going around to 3 dealerships, I got the best bang for my buck with the NH.

I'm glad I got the 45 hp model. Knowing what I know now, I'd get a 50-60 hp the next time. I live on 45 acres of mostly wooded and hilly land but also have 3 acres of cropland for a front yard. All beans this year and the deer are hammering it! It's a great woods machine especially when I have my backhoe w/thumb and 4' grapple on. Good for clearing and stump pulling.

This machine is capable of pulling 6 and 7 foot implements. Sometimes I go for the smaller 6' pieces just for getting around in the woods. My back tires are just a bit under 6' wide side to side.

I have also become an implement junkie! Got about 14 or 15 different attachments. Being an electrician, it comes in handy when installing underground installations or running lines for wood boilers among other things.

Rick James likes this.
  20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll second Greg's recommendation on tractorbynet. Great resource.

My dad's JD is 40HP (35 at the PTO), and is a great tractor for around the woods and the plots we plant. It's a bit undersized for the bigger sections of field we maintain with our 72" mower. I would like to get a cabbed model that's in the 50+HP range now that we own another 140 acres, but it's $$. I think what Matt has should serve him well for his needs. Plus, like he said, it's still within the size that he can tow with his truck.

Rick James likes this.