OKlahoma Public land

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by jleger, Sep 20, 2014.

1. jleger

jleger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone been scouting WMA's yet....Just wondering what folks are seeing....im headed to Ft Cobb next week....Jeremy

2. martin sabre1967

martin sabre1967 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMAG0018.jpg IMAG0020.jpg IMAG0021.jpg IMAG0022.jpg

Jeremy, this is where ive hunted at cobb and see deer every time. the pic with the farthest view is the road coming off highway 58 you turn west on. the roads name is e1240 road. follow it all the way to the end of the road and it turns into ft cobb wma. the other pics are of the spot where I hunt. I set up right on the corner of the farmers lot. there is dry creek running through there and it is a main crossroad for deer travel. they are going from farmers fields across the creek to bedding in a field to the s.e. of there. if you wait on the hill right at the corner of that guys place I promise youll see deer. if you got a stand there are a few trees you could use.just thought id throw that info out there......Derik

3. martin sabre1967

Dislikes Received:
    on the far left side of the first pic along the road is where they come in from the farmers fields and make their way down to the dry creek bed by the corner of the farmers lot and on too the field in the lower right side of the pic.its a travel corridor that has multiple paths intersecting in one spot.

4. jleger

jleger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you derik......That is one of the spots I was gonna look at!

5. martin sabre1967

Dislikes Received:
    we've found out a trick based on a lot of hunter pressure. if you've got a cheapo little blind and put it in the corner of that food plot when you first come in people that drive in to check it out think that its crowded and will usually turn around and leave....which reduces the hunting pressure tremendously. just a thought for you....good luck hunting there....!

6. jleger

jleger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LOL....Thanks

7. jleger

jleger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scouted Lake Burtschi yesterday and man that place is tic tic tic......Gonna be hard to hunt but looks real good...Post oaks are loaded and already dropping..Gonna head to Ft cobb this week if I get time and see which WMA I like better...Jeremy

8. martin sabre1967

Dislikes Received:
    there is another spot called "the slough" at cobb, but that's where a lot of hunters put their blinds and stands up.. it gets really crowded there too in that area.oh. I forgot to tell ya there are hogs on there too so ya might see them too good luck at which ever place you decide to go to....Derik

9. jleger

jleger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any of you guys in NE Oklahoma ever hunt Oologah Lake WMA? Been looking at it on bing maps and it looks good....My neighbor use to live in Tulsa and fished the lake but don't hunt....He says the campgrounds are really nice....Looks like they have showers and restrooms....What do yall think?

10. Buckwheat

Buckwheat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know that this thread is old but thought I would add my comment

I haven't hunted Oologah yet. I am going to be looking both there and Spavinaw for this upcoming season. Not real familiar with either.

11. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Any places anyone would recommend SE Oklahoma? I've hunted north east Oklahoma the last couple years on family/private land. Looking at changing it up and doing the public thing in south east Oklahoma. Looking for big acres and creek bottoms preferably.

12. successful failure

successful failure Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Around lake Texoma there is a lot of Corp land

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

13. Soonlobo

Soonlobo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I scouted Atoka WMA, Atoka PHA, and Blue River WMA Thursday. Walked nearly 6 miles total and drove over 30 miles inside the Atoka WMA and PHA.

The NW corner of Blue River looks promising, several different areas of deer tracks with a food plot. Other promising area was in the western central part of the northern portion of BR (that portion north of Hwy 7. Found a couple of game trails and deer tracks moving from the western treeline towards the Blue River about a 1/4 mike east.

The far SE corner and NE corner of Atoka WMA I found quite a bit of deer sign near Breadtown Creek to the SE and actually saw a doe cross Breadtown Rd in the NE area. I stopped my vehicle and we stared each other down from about 15 yards away for a few seconds.:biggrin: Before I could get my phone camera to work she was gone...

I drove probably 20 miles through the Atoka PHA and although it looks promising I saw no deer sign anywhere. It is so remote so they have to be out there, but I didn’t go looking too far out there since I had already picked three ticks off myself.

That’s one thing I hate about the Atoka area - it’s beautiful, but every time I go down there I find ticks all over me. When I got home my son found three more ticks on me and I’ve pulled two others since. I used plenty of sulfur powder and had no issues at Blue River but they got me again at Atoka (I had several get me 15 years ago camping west of Atoka.)

Eric and Ira at the Atoka HQ are great guys and very helpful. If you go to the office they will give you a great briefing on the areas.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  14. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Thanks for the response... Although due to my wedding and other vacation plans this year, it does not look like I'll get to try any Hunts out of town :bigcry: ..... Maybe next year though!

Soonlobo likes this.