Team 19 The Booner Doomers

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by beavertronic, Aug 14, 2017.

1. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe. Hoping to follow your lead and knock one down this weekend myself. We have 10 days left so I need to shoot something.

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  2. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck man

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It’s just not my year. This pic from the stand I didn’t go get in this afternoon. There were there with shooting light to spare this is just the best pic of both of them a little after dark... and tomorrow the wind will be wrong for this spot. Ugh. B85C4658-9A5B-42D1-B401-E0C2F8D28FBE.png

4. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Season is over here. Ended Saturday. At 430 I went out to do chores and had a beautiful deer standing on the opposite side of my pond. I debated grabbing my bow and sneaking down there - but I didn't. We have had that buck running the property and I didn't want to shoot this deer at 30 yards to find out the buck shed his antlers (Granted, it did look like a doe). But, alas - back at it next season.

5. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Have until the 31st on the urban hunt. It is a beautiful morning.

6. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    So, just saw on FB a Sisterhood hunt (women only) - to here; https://www.iowamonsterwhitetail.com/ - for $1800. I am so tempted, except for the fact I've only ever shot one deer with a bow and I'm almost afraid of wasting the money because I don't have the experience. I feel as though I need to hunt the state for more experience (and success) before I venture out paying. Plus, I'm already hunting in Canada for waterfowl for a week in September. Oh the problems, haha.

7. beavertronic

Dislikes Received:
    I think if you have the opportunity to do something like that to go for it. The experience alone would be great!

8. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    You should absolutely go for it. Memories make us rich. The only way to get experience is by doing it so do it! Lol

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I've been on out of state hunts, so that's not really a big "experience". I just don't want to spend the money and either wound an animal from inexperience bow hunting or choke and miss out. If it was shot gun - as much as I hate it around here - I think I'd go for it. I hunted IL shot gun and saw some amazing things.

10. beavertronic

Dislikes Received:
    40 degrees today. Back at it until sundown.

[​IMG]

PinkPony likes this.
  11. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    Your inexperience is what I meant by getting experience lol it just sounds like to me that you think the ethical thing to do is sit out and wait. I disagree, as it could be a great learning experience and make you less inexperienced. It makes no difference as to how or when you gain experience. You could miss or choke on your own property too but as long as your doing your best not to and trying to always learn and get better that’s ethical in my book

12. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    But ultimately your the only one who can make that decision for yourself. I’m just throwing in my 2 cents. I think it sounds like an opportunity I wouldn’t want to miss out on.

13. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for that. I see where you're coming from, like you said, to me the ethical thing to do is not go (which, it did fill already) - I'd rather spend the $100 in PA vs. the $1000+ out of state to choke, yanno?

14. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Another contest here and gone. Thanks everyone for being good team mates!

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  15. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Team - Few comments and my final report for the season.

- Thanks, Pink Pony for being the group leader and all captioning duties! Appreciate you keeping us all together and interacting.
    - I really enjoyed this team. The picture posting and very active group made the contest fun to constantly check in and read your posts. I enjoyed reading the success you had and sightings/outings.
    - I know a bunch of us were sitting on very good bucks, just could not connect...or in my case, missed the shot :(

As for me. I hunted the PA late season very hard with my flintlock as well as my dad's crossbow. I came close several times at connecting. I encountered two bucks which is more than the last 30+ years of hunting the late season so, I must be doing something right or different! I explored new state land as well. On one outing I think I saw over 15 deer and a good buck in less than 1.5 hours. So enjoyable with all the snow we had up here. Had a smaller buck in my sight with the flintlock, however, could not quite make out inside tines to verify he was legal.

On the last evening, I was able to get out, I walked into the woods with the Xbow and stand. About 30 yards from my tree, I came to two bedded doe. One standing and one bedded actually. I was now only about 20/25 yards to them no real brush in between us. My safety is off and I am ready for the shot. Looking at both, they were young and snouts on the shorter side. I scanned around them hoping for a mature doe or even buck, no luck. My blood did not start pumping so, I simply put the safety back on and continued to my stand tree. I guess they were the lucky ones that evening. Sat there till dark, saw those two again for a good 20 minutes. Smiled inside and out that I felt good on passing them up. Just not the size I was looking for.

Pulled two stands and my deer cart. Going to start shed hunting in March if there is nothing on the ground! Wishing everyone a great off season.

PinkPony and bowhunt4abuck like this.
  16. Joe Bear

Joe Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, my buddy just finished editing my hunt so I figured I would post in on here for you all to see.

PinkPony and SheddingLightTravis like this.
  17. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoyed the video. Nice looking buck for sure.