Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what happened to the other one, but pretty sure nobody has posted on it for like a year. I know winter can be a bummer but, anyone been hitting the weights or maybe just trying to lose some weight?

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m down 30lbs since last spring. Was further down than that but fell off the wagon a bit since season started in Oct.

Been back after it for a couple weeks now, plus a new gym opens Monday at the office @ work, so I’ll be able to get some good cardio in now. Have my man cave setup pretty well in the basement with weights and been doing that for a couple weeks as well as eating clean.

It feels great to be where I am right now, but my goal is another 20lbs. I’m guessing with the cardio mixed in I can get there by 4/1.

Westfinger, w33kender and fletch920 like this.
  3. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to be a guy that hit the gym 5-7 days a week. With my new job position I am traveling out of town a lot more than I used too and it has hindered my workouts over the last couple months. I've finally gotten back in this week on a consistent schedule. I have my wedding later this year so I need to be in good shape going into my honey moon :tu:. It's crazy how much strength you lose when you are out of it for a couple months.... hopefully it'll come back to me if I stay on track!

Westfinger, Shocker99 and w33kender like this.
  4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I started the Keto diet after Christmas and have already lost about 5 or so lbs. It is an entirely different approach to eating but so far I've loved it more than I thought. I have not worked out hardly at all on it though (bball on Sundays for 3 hours, solid competition so good cardio..and volleyball on Tuesdays is all).

Gonna start adding working out soon as well now that I have hit my groove and become more comfortable with the diet/lifestyle.

Westfinger likes this.
  5. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried making a cauliflower pizza on that KETO diet? I am not a cauliflower guy at all, but after seeing a recipe I decided to give it a go.... it really wasn't that bad!

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I am actually set to attempt a pizza this weekend I think if schedule doesn't throw a wrinkle in this. I want to try that type of crust and the fathead crust approach (which I guess is more cheese based).

7. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I just hired a personal trainer that is going to start coming to our house once a week and give us customized workouts and meal planning for the rest of each week. She will do an hour workout with each of us individually. We have talked about doing this for years and finally made the commitment to do it. We start on Wednesday.

I want to drop about 20 pounds and get toned up and get in shape for biking and to run a few 5K's and 10K's each year. My wife just wants to get toned up and build endurance for biking. I know its going to hurt for a while, but I'm really looking forward to getting into good shape and being able to go and do whatever I want.

Time to do a little "dusting" in the fitness room. lol.

Westfinger likes this.
  8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    If you do omlettes a decent amount add a couple tablespoons of almond flour whipped in....oh my word it produces extremely fluffy omelettes. That is one of the very rare times I add any flour or such at all.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  9. Wiscohunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah keto is tough. Not me for me thats for sure I like carbs too much. Good to hear its working for you because theres a fine line of your body actually being in a state of ketosis and people accidentally eating slightly too many carbs.

10. Wiscohunter

Dislikes Received:
    I started lifting weights last april doing a 3-day full body program. The program is only two different workouts but, its meant for weight to be added to your main lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, row) every week. I've always been tall and lanky. I am 6'2 and was 178 pounds when I started. Up to about 190 now. If I can make it to 200 pounds without actually having to buy bigger pants I will be happy.

w33kender and fletch920 like this.
  11. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I lift 3 days a week. I overtrained for years, hitting each muscle group twice a week. No more of that. I use the elliptical 3 days a week as well. I do all of this at home in my man cave where I can watch DVD's I enjoy.

I'm not trying to lose or gain any weight or size. Just trying to increase cardio endurance and strength within reason and while avoiding injury. I'm 49; my days of really heavy benching and squatting are over, but it's all relative. After years of lifting, my shoulders, elbows, and back require me to use my most important muscle (my brain) when training.

I'm happiest when I don't miss a training day.

Westfinger, Wiscohunter and fletch920 like this.
  12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my word yes. I've found myself very rarely creeping up on carbs above 7-10%. Goal is 5% or less daily and I'd say 80% of the days I'm easily there. Without the bulletproof coffee I'd struggle to hit the fat goals though.

Once I get comfortable with it I will incorporate intermittent fasting as well. @Tony I know has had immense success at Keto and fasting incorporation.

13. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been off the wagon for 3 yrs now. I had a surgery back in Dec of 2015 I think and I’m joining a gym this week. Used to be in phenomenal shape. I just need to keep myself from getting sucked back into powerlifting. I refuse to do CrossFit and I get to a certain point and get bored. That’s when I start testing my limits and going heavy. Although I’ve only been injured one time in my whole workout career back in my early 20’s I still feel it today. I also used to lift 5-6 days a week like KJ but found that I benefited WAY more when I went down to lifting 3 days a week doing complex lifts with 15 min of fat burning cardio on my off days and got more sleep. I think people don’t realize how important sleep is. It’s just as important as the exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Westfinger and kjstaudt86 like this.
  14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'd argue sleep and nutrition (diet) plays a bigger factor than your exercise regiment.

NSlenczka, Westfinger and Shocker99 like this.
  15. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I were intrigued by the Peloton Spin bike, we didnt want to fork out the $2000 so we bought a similar spin bike on Amazon and use our iPad with the Peloton app.. so far we are loving it. We only started at the beginning of the month, but hopefully we stay with it. I really missed the endurance I used to have this year hunting out west so it's definitely an incentive to get back after it.

Westfinger likes this.
  16. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've never stopped, but still doing what I can with a 2yr old at home. I lift 3 days a week, cardio 3 days a week, one day off. My cardio isn't as high intensive as I would like in the winter, but it gets me through. I'm really just at a maintenance stage for now. Just keep toned and in good health (I've never had the ability to gain much weight so far in life, so that's always good).

Westfinger likes this.
  17. Wiscohunter

Dislikes Received:
    I did intermittent fasting for about 2 weeks. I tried the 16:8 approach. I would stop consuming any calories at 7pm and wouldn't eat or drink anything (besides water or black coffee) until 11am the next day. It wasn't really for me. I have no problem not eating after 7pm but, by about 9am or so I get pretty hungry. And I figure if i'm trying to gain weight anyway there's really no point in doing it anymore. I do think a 24 hour fast is something everyone should do from time to time. I read a great book on the subject called "The Obesity Code". Could even send it to you if you want it.

18. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently got back into lifting again myself. My BIL got a new job that pays for membership at a gym and he talked me into getting back into it. I have a pretty physically demanding job and have noticed as I've gotten older aches and pains are more frequent, so I thought doing some weight training would help with that. Especially during this time of year when we're laid off due to weather. Used to be in pretty decent shape in my early 20's and lifted alot when in Marines but when got home didn't do much as far as exercise. Mostly just do weights and not much cardio but plan to add that more. Diet is something that will be kind of hard to keep on track, right now its easy but while working alot of times it gets pretty bad. Alot of fast food or stuff from gas station.

Not really sure what goals are other than just trying to tone up some and not be so flabby, ha, right now I'm 6'2 and around 240-250. Not sure wanna really lose weight just more tone up and burn some of the fat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

19. Wiscohunter

Dislikes Received:
    What spin bike did you end up getting? Been thinking of getting one too. I run on a treadmill now for my cardio. Dont like running though. Much prefer cycling and enjoy the leg pump from it.

20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every year in the month of December I gain 10 lbs. I hate it. 225 is a good weight for me. But I am 235 currently. Been lifting weights and walking a lot during scouting. But more importantly Ive tried to reduce the calories I consume containing sugars by half. That is what I really need most of all...a better diet.

Shocker99 likes this.