Hoyt Rx or Mathews Triax?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Josh Jacobs, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Josh Jacobs

Josh Jacobs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Im new to this forum and bows in general. I've done some reading and have narrowed my quest down to these 2. Just looking for opinions and some reasoning. I'm sure this subject has been beaten to death but I hope I can get some help. Thank you guys.

2. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering, the Mathews is 28” ata and Pope & Young description of a bow says it’s not less than 30”. Could the next record buck shot with it be entered?

3. Josh Jacobs

Josh Jacobs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I see what you mean here. I should have read up first. My mistake.
    If I'm understanding it correctly. It does state that under there equipment definitions.
    But does that only have to be followed if you're a member of their club? I don't think this reflects state regulations does it? Again I'm as green as the day is long with a lot of this stuff.

https://pope-young.org/bowhunting/equipment.asp

4. Francis

Francis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think they're both great bows, I personally went with the RX1 this year. Have shot my best scores since switching to Hoyt. Also have the Halon 32 and 30 which would be older, but pretty much same bow. I feel like this is something we can't answer for you. I recommend finding a bow shop that carries them and shoot them both with an unbiased opinion. Everyone's going to have a different opinion on what they like, and how each bow feels. I know, that wasn't very much help. lol

5. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    Josh, it may apply if you ever want to enter an animal in the record book. I am a member, but have never entered an animal. I support the mission statement, just never needed to see my name in the book.

6. Josh Jacobs

Josh Jacobs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Coming from dirt bikes and wakeboard I completely understand. I know it's a broad question that can't really be blanketed in a post either. Maybe just some anecdotal stories. There arent many people I know who shoot where I live and I figured this would be a good place to pick the brains on experienced shooters.

7. Josh Jacobs

Josh Jacobs Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ohh I'm sure it does matter but only to them, no? Or is Pope and Young the "governing body", for lack of a better term, of the hunting world?

I'd be interested to know as I want to do a guided back country elk hunt (not sure if this is frowned upon) for my 40th and who knows, I could get that one bull everyone's always wanted....wishful thinking obviously but why not me. HAHA

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    there will be no issue with the lenght of the triaxe for pope and young entries.

The rules state a bow no less then 30" inches. They do not specifically say ATA, so you looking at overall lenght of the bow which includes the cams. with the size of those cams you have no problem meeting the requirement.

9. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll call the club tomorrow to clear this up. Be that as it may, if you’re new to bowhunting, you’ll have a lot of fun with that short of a bow. The shorter the bow, the critical it will be to shoot. The shorter the brace height, the more critical it is.
    I’m sure that someone will post up how wrong I am and that’s OK. Been shooting a bow for 42 years and owned a pro shop for 12. Figure I had to learn something in that time. Wish you the best of luck.

WillO likes this.
  10. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    It is tip to tip not ata, so I was wrong, you’d be OK.
    It’s still going to be a heck of a critical bow to start out with.
    Best of luck.
    Jim

11. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im confused, what do you mean by critical?

12. jstephens61

Dislikes Received:
    Not a forgiving bow. Your form will have to be spot on. Any small mistake will be amplified. Why do you think most target bows are longer ata with high brace heights?
    Short ata and brace give you speed, but it comes at a price.

WillO and Kfili like this.
  13. JimmyQ

JimmyQ Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It really depends on you Josh. I bought a Hoyt Defiant last year and love it and still do. I recently went and shot a Triax and purchased it immediately. The draw on the Hoyt is smooth and it is accurate although the back wall is a little squishy for me. The Triax is quieter and there is no vibration on the shot which sold me on it. I still shoot both of them daily and there are distinct differences between the two which is obvious when you can shoot them side by side for extended periods. My best advice to you would be to test shoot them both, preferably at the same dealer to find what feels best for you. Have fun and enjoy the process.

14. ontarget7

ontarget7 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned a mess load of bows and the Triax is definitely not a unforgiving bow. I find it quite the contrary. It is so forgiving for me I will end up picking up another for a back up bow this year.
    The Triax aims exceptionally well on target and takes very little effort to keep the pin right behind what your aiming at. It’s one heck of a bow and just might end up being my favorite bow to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mickey2520 likes this.
  15. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Full disclaimer, I shoot a Mathews now and love the line. But I shot the RX-1 at the ATA show and was not impressed at all. The Triax is leaps and bounds a better bow, IMO

16. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's all depends on what you like honestly. I love my RX1. Balance is unreal, smooth and quit. I like all kinds of bows. Since this is mostly a Mathews forum. You'll get more towards them, which is fine. I'd shoot both and pick what you like and feels good to you.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

17. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go to the shop. Shoot them both and by the one that feels the best to you. I wouldn't worry about the record book stuff. I mean we all dream big but I've never heard of that rule from P&Y before. But then I never looked or worried about killing a buck big enough to get in the book either.

Edit below...
    From what I see on the Pope & Young site, this is what is says.

"The bow shall be no shorter than 30 inches."

They don't specifically say axle to axle so I don't know how they measure the 30 inches. However as big a company as Mathews is, I would be shocked to hear their new flagship bow doesn't meet the P&Y equipment regulations.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Bootlegger likes this.
  18. Francis

Francis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought this was mostly a crossbow forum? :lol: i kid i kid

I love my rx1, but never disliked any of my mathews.

Bootlegger and buckeye like this.
  19. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha...lol. I like all brands myself. Just most answers is always Mathews...lol. I'm a firm believer in shoot what fits you best. Whether it's Hoyt, Mathews, Elite, PSE and so on.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

carbon-arch likes this.
  20. Francis

Francis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I don't really believe they make a bad bow anymore.

Bootlegger likes this.