Has the internet created a "false passion" for bowhunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MrSimon, Jan 10, 2018.

1. MrSimon

MrSimon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Recently the internet has exploded with tons of very high quality bowhunting content. YouTube videos, articles, web shows, Facebook pages, Instagram, gear reviews, blogs, vlogs, and forums like this one. You can literally drown yourself in hunting content. And it's very good stuff.

The content can be so immersive that "watching" hunting can be as addicting as actually "doing" it.

I'm wondering if all of this internet content is creating hunting fans, who don't actually hunt.

What do you guys think? Does all of the content motivate you to go outside, or does it just give you something to watch on YouTube? Is it possible hunting could become a spectator sport like fishing has?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't watch any of it.

3. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't either. No interest in watching a show filmed in the NE when I am in the MW. Problem with a lot of internet buying is where is the seller when you have a problem ??

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. 100%.

I've also seen a lot of people get immersed in it 110%, and then drop out/burn out in just a few years. I think a lot of those people are the ones that fell victim to that "false passion".

cant and boonerville like this.
  5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    The technical ability may be there for many due to better cameras, more affordable editing software, cheaper/free online training on how to you said tools and cameras. What I find lacking in a lot of the content online (not all) is the story. It's one thing to show a bunch of time lapses, rack focus shots, color grades, etc., but without a good story, you won't hold my interest very long.

Hillbilly Jedi and cant like this.
  6. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not until it can actually replicate the reasons why I hunt, which it can not.

I watch very little hunting programs/video's compared to other activities.

7. MrSimon

MrSimon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    But you have almost 12,000 posts on an internet chat forum spanning three and half years. I don't say that unkindly and it's not a bad thing, it just goes to show that you still spend a LOT of time doing hunting stuff on the internet. You've likely spent hundreds of hours reading content posted right here. That's a lot of internet time. How would you say that time has impacted your "real world" hunting, if at all?

8. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure the companies are loving the "false passion" hunters since they are the ones likely to be buying every little thing available. :lol:

9. MrSimon

MrSimon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You didn't answer any of my questions .... but you do raise an interesting point. People are watching so many internet videos that they are now becoming critical of the production quality and even the story lines, just as you said. You are a good example of someone who is watching hunting on the internet not to learn technique, but solely for the purpose of entertainment. That's not bad, I actually agree that an interesting story makes the show more enjoyable.

I guess actually you did answer my question .... hunting has become a spectator sport. I suppose that's good, it's just different.

10. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  11. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do not and will not watch any hunting video,s or games, I believe in first person reality, My experiences, not yours, or somebody elses !, Many years ago I tried watching a couple, were really crap, to many commercials, too many product testimonials scattered every minute or so ! I find watching these worse than trying to watch msnbc or cnn

Sadjmoe likes this.
  12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    There's not many shows out that that can teach me any techniques that are applicable to my situation, so yeah, most shows I watch are for entertainment. There are some that still provide me with relevant new information, and they are the one's I still watch (webshows), but they are few and far between.

I suppose if you want a more clearly defined answer, I suppose it's possible some shows are peaking people's curiosity about hunting, but imho, I would guess it's the shows that focus less on the trophy element and more on the educational side. Shows like Meateater which has a presence on Netflix, or Fresh Tracks on Amazon, might reach a larger non hunting audience than most shows. They also seem to cater to a larger demographic. One that includes even non hunters that may be curious about what drives all of us to do what we do.

gri22ly likes this.
  13. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well if I’m passionate about something, I’m going to immerse myself in it as much as possible. When summer rolls around, the hunting itch needs to be scratched, so I watch hunting shows such as BHOD, Growing Deer TV, or Midwest Whitetail. Once October rolls around, I’m actually hunting. When people are passionate about something, they want to talk it, live it, breath it, but with hunting seasons, that leaves us wandering around looking for our fix. Lol

14. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I watch them all the time wearing my Sitka. Sometimes I even turn the heat off to experience the chill of late season so I can wear the fanatic coat and bibs.

15. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If not for hunting forums, I would've remained a lifelong rifle hunter. Friends made online...THEIR passion...sparked my interest. I've hunted over 50 times the last two falls and only sat with my rifle four days and those were due to being on a rifle-outfitted hunt in all cases. I don't see that ratio changing.

I think hunting shows are only detrimental for those prone to unrealistic expectations in real time when they themselves are hunting. Real bowhunting is long, sometimes boring, hours that can lead to getting busted coming to full draw or getting winded, etc, instead of a successful kill. The immediate gratification personality may lose their passion quickly. I'm older and not as easily discouraged by "failure."

I blame the viewer, not the programming. Critical viewing of ANY content is the audience's responsibility.

cant, cantexian and MrSimon like this.
  16. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When I see newbie's wearing Sitka I never know if I should be happy about it or offended. :confused:

Ruff likes this.
  17. MrSimon

MrSimon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    You see, that's what confuses me. Is watching hours and hours of YouTube immersing yourself in your passion, or is it watching a stranger live out his?

I bring all this up because I was re-energized this year for bowhunting and the passion has been burning hot. So I found myself spending a LOT of time watching videos to learn .... which led to story-based shows .... which led me to actually "follow" certain shows because I felt connected to the guys. I wanted to follow their stories and see how their seasons panned out.

Then it hit me ... I'm spending and awful lot of time watching complete strangers live their lives. A little here and there isn't a bad thing, but its really easy to get sucked in. Finally I realized I've got my own buddies, my own cameras, my own bow, and my own land ..... why on God's green earth am I spending so much time watching someone else live their life instead of living my own.

It's just something that hit me recently and made me think about the impact the internet is having on hunting and hunters.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am here because I am a passionate bow hunter, my wife does not want to talk deer hunting so I come here. I have picked up some valuable tips from members, like using a green laser pointer to move deer away from my stand so I can exit at dark.

WillO, virginiashadow and MrSimon like this.
  19. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure? I honestly do not watch any bowhunting on TV or the web.

20. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe it has created a false passion so to speak, as the ones who are watching are probably already passionate about the sport. I do believe, however, that it has created many false illusions and expectations, especially among beginners. I think if the newby isn't killing B&C bucks their first time out, they can become quickly disillusioned.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk