Your YouTube Channels?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by MissionOutdoors.Net, Dec 22, 2017.

1. MissionOutdoors.Net

MissionOutdoors.Net Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like there are a decent amount of us here who film out hunts. What's your channel? I always enjoy watching what others are up too in the hunting and trapping world through their videos, and think it's one of the best ways to help us all grow.

Mine is www.youtube.com/denstad1

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Windwalker's Outdoor Channel...I do a bunch of outdoor stuff on my channel. Dove hunting, trout fishing, guns, drone flying, squirrel hunting, archery hunting, muzzleloader, Pennsylvania elk, how to's, gear reviews and more.
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCbMQwFW_de97C3mT3ejrBQg

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

MissionOutdoors.Net likes this.
  5. Windwalker7

Dislikes Received:
    I have another channel also. This channel is pretty random. I do some comedy type videos and at one time I use to volunteer at an animal shelter. I did several videos to help get the animals,some exposure and possibly find a home. The channel is called Windwalker Productions. Here is a sample

6. SouTex

SouTex Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Joe Bear likes this.
  7. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    www.youtube.com/simanbrothersoutdoors

Been posting videos since 2009. Lots of deer and turkeys hunting as well as trail camera videos.

Last year we started a webshow called SBOLive. We release everything on Facebook first and then i post it to YouTube.

Has anyone else noticed a decline in video views over the last few years? I used to be able to get 500-1000 on YouTube fairly easily, now I barely crack 100. The same videos on Facebook will go over a 1000...it’s odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEC likes this.
  8. Windwalker7

Dislikes Received:
    When I post on Facebook, I post a link to You Tube. I barely get anyone to click the link on Facebook. I do know that timing is very important. My dove hunting videos rack up tons of views if I post with in a day or 2 of opening day. When I make a part 2 or 3 and post it later in the seaon, I barely get half the views. Same thing with squirrel hunting or trout fishing videos. It seems that when the season opens, everyone is interested, after a few days, it's all old news and guys are waiting for other season openers.

My other channel with the comedy videos doesn't have many subs, but I pick up more views via Facebook when I post there. I work at a hospital and know lots of people (mostly women) they aren't interested in hunting, but they all like the comedy videos. By the way, I got a good one I will be posting over there in the next day or so.

Hint:
    Deer vs. Chicken

Very funny footage!

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tracking has changed somewhat too in what counts as a view from what I've grown to understand but don't quote me on it. I've definitely noticed Facebook is the better spot for views "typically"...but I've also noticed Youtube growth somewhat. It is all about the time and the title from all my media/marketing friends. If I was doing it for money I'd most definitely hire one of them as it is their job to ensure web visibility is the highest you can get (not always due to payment).

10. RayvonD33

RayvonD33 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting and fishing videos mostly from our home state of North Carolina

11. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe they changed what actually counts as a view. I think it has to be watched the majority of the way or all the way through.

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    They've also recently changed monetized standards for channels/stations before qualifying. I have never focused on Youtube for more than a holding site for videos so not even close personally.

13. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't post to videos YouTube or Facebook but I believe what you're seeing is a large majority of people are simply getting their media via Facebook instead of going to YouTube. People who post videos on YouTube are almost guaranteed to post the on Facebook.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Facebook now is rumored to be going back to more what it originally was designed for personal family and friends connections and less marketing segment of stuff....I almost wonder if they are thinking a split viewing option, but appears they want to make it less and less that folks homepages are riddled with ads and business postings UNLESS they select it to be so. I personally sense Facebook is possibly set to launch something new entirely or Facebook is a bout to get a facelift of some kind.

15. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen the same thing. In the past two years or so, my Youtube views have gone down, yet I feel my production quality has gotten better. In the mean time, the Facebook views have gone way up. But in saying that, what I notice about FB is that the views skyrocket initially, but the shelf life feels shorter. Youtube seems to have a longer shelf life with the product. FB feeds load up so fast that fresh content is consumed like a feed time in a hog lot, but then it is devoured so fast that when it falls out of the feed the consumption rate falls flat.

I did some digging because I thought it was interesting that a recent FB Live video at ATA that I did, had something like 10k views in the first two hours ... and then almost nothing after that. As a company, we were ecstatic and then ... boom ... nothing. According to some searching that I did, a "VIEW" is counted any time a viewer watches 3 seconds or more. So when you stop your feed and a video starts auto playing, if you watch 4 seconds and move on, then it counts as a view. On Youtube it doesn't count as a view until you reach the 30 second mark. So yea it makes sense that FB "views" are tallying up faster ... I would argue that most are false views and often repeat viewers as the video flows through there feed multiple times depending on how often they are on say the APP on their phone. The metrics then are skewed big time. I trust the Youtube metrics more, since I am betting if I got your attention for 30 seconds, then I probably have you for the video. But what it really reveals is how you better make the first 30 seconds count. So if you are doing the same 60 second intro splash video for every video, you likely will not hold the viewers attention for more than two or three of your videos. Viewers now want their content immediate, concise, and exciting.

Here is a link to an interesting site regarding social media platforms and their metrics.
    https://blog.bufferapp.com/social-video-metrics

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I agree depending on whether you are in it to entertain or discuss or educate (what I have been told by a trusted more knowledgeable source than me).

Primarily the entertain industry for sure better hit ground running and not miss a beat, get to the content fast.

Discussion based videos I have been told you got more time, most of these videos or channels are followed or sought out by the viewer...don't dilly dally but you got the audiences attention based on the topic and their desire to hear thoughts.

Educational videos are like the above but on steroids. Videos I'm seeking out to learn or see first hand someone else's thoughts, experiences or failures on something I want to know more about or am interested in I'll set through an hour youtube video (guilty of doing so).

The key is understanding which you fall into...I'd also add I've noticed for the most part the more you move down from Entertainment>>>Discussion>>>Education the amount of followers or views will drop...but the amount of invested and loyal followers increases.

I was told all this by a buddy who works inside digital media every single day, runs pages, marketing and such...he's taken topics or pages from non-existent to 100K page checks daily. He is doing extremely well for himself and knows this stuff way more than me...so I am blindly trusting what he told me, it does make sense.

DEC likes this.
  17. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    FWIW, all my views and content are original and non paid for.

I know a lot of people pay for there post to be seen.

It’s also easier for my audience to be scrolling through Facebook, stop and watch or save my video and move on. As opposed to pulling up YouTube and looking for videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. EBOutdoors

EBOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey man, your channel is great! My wife and I started our channel recently and we're really enjoying sharing our hunting and fishing videos.
    Check us out... EBOutdoors https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUb3O3TrHoL0Hc_rQaSpkng

19. EBOutdoors

EBOutdoors Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This was actually our latest video where I killed an 8pt buck in front of the dogs up in North FL. First time filming a successful dog hunt where I shot the buck, so pretty excited about it.

20. Windwalker7

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing the You Tube thing for a while. Actually the 30 second thing has to do with viewing comercials. A viewer must watch the comercial for 30 seconds before the channel gets revenue from it.