Team 1 FIRST BLOOD

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Holt, Aug 14, 2017.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've entered the lottery 2 years in a row but as a non-res I stand about as good a chance at hitting Powerball.

2. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm over 10 years in as a resident and have never been drawn so you are not doing to badly. If I told you some of the stories that I know from certain people getting tags and the political connections you would just get angry. Do happen to know a non-resident that got drawn for a bull tag and took a pretty nice bull a couple of years ago.

dnoodles likes this.
  3. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Decided to go sit in a stand this evening with the cold front that moved through last night thought that we may have some deer movement. I have been hunting a lot this year with probably over 50 different sits in stands. Tonight I had a good mature deer come in, probably 4.5 years old and I think it was one that I was drawn back on earlier in the year but didn't give me a good enough shot for me to be comfortable. He had been injured as he was limping badly with no weight on his left front foot. Had several does and different smaller bucks around I was nearly unable to move with 10 or 11 pairs of eyes looking at every little noise. I was finally able to get drawn back and able to place a nearly perfect shot on this guy. Extremely blessed to be able to harvest a mature buck and even though he won't score the highest of my bucks that does not diminish the trophy value to me as it has been a tough slog this year and I entered the year with a goal of not shooting unless I had a mature deer in my sights. After a couple of minutes to collect my thoughts and offer a prayer of thanks I climbed down out of the tree and blood trailed my deer. I had heard him crash and knew that it was a good shot so I really didn't wait very long as darkness was quickly falling. Don't know exactly what he will score but guessing 130 to 135. Will post up when I get the measurements. Time for some does for the canner next. Should not be a problem as I am overrun with them. IMG_1591.JPG

dnoodles and Holt like this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! That looks like a great buck, way to stick it out! Looking forward to seeing some more pics if you got them.

kb1785 likes this.
  5. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Initial score was 136 6/8. Straight 8 pointer. Super deer for an 8. We skinned him last night but I'll get some additional pics of the rack and upload them and post the score in the scoreboard thread.

dnoodles likes this.
  6. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    great job, KB!
    in my quick hunt area in SW Michigan there is supposed to be a lake effect snow squall all day Saturday. I plan on heading out all day Sunday to take advantage of the high pressure on the back end.

kb1785 likes this.
  7. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Additional pics of the 8 pointer and score sheet. Had a 20 inch inside spread. 8 point 12-6-17 pic 2.JPG 8 point 12-6-17 pic 2.JPG 8 point 12-6-17 pic 3.jpg

Attached Files:

Holt likes this.
  8. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Entered in scoreboard

9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Howdy boys. Massive snowstorm in SW Michigan last night. Can't get out this afternoon due to work but it's supposed to snow more tomorrow AM so tomorrow evening and Saturday should be good hunting. Restricted to only a 4+ tag in my pocket but I'm going to do my damndest to get on the board. Probably my last weekend to hunt this year unless I get a free pass from the wife Christmas or NY weekend.

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck man! It's getting tough out there. I'm on a mission to get a doe before the end of season. Never thought it would be so hard just to get a doe!

11. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Doe hunting this morning also. Good luck to all.

Holt likes this.
  12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    unfortunately the State had all the beans except the 20' strip closest to the woods taken in. I saw a decent amount of tracks from this AM but no deer at all. Warmer temps all next week and no snow in the forecast thru the end of the month (and season.)

I'm likely done, boys. I gave it about all I could. Spent over 30 days in the woods. Stuck and lost one that I am 100% sure died, grazed 2. Tough season.

Been talking a lot with my buddy on how to improve his WI property for next year....all summer long it's a frat house; bucks everywhere but we just do not hold deer much after October 1. Guys in our QDMA see "our" bucks on camera 3-5 miles away come November.

We need to figure out how to draw and keep does.

kb1785 and Holt like this.
  13. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Saw plenty of does yesterday, about 10 different ones within bow range. Problem was they all was coming in together and try my best could not get drawn back because of all the eyes and how nervous they were. It was amazing how "on alert" they were. Blink and they were staring at me. A buck came by and scattered them. Secondary rut is kicking in hard here with a lot of seeking and chasing. Bucks look real skinny. The one I shot last week didn't have any fat on him at all while ones I had seen shot earlier in the year had inches on them. I will get it done before the end of the year though, just have to have the right situation. Trying for an older mature doe without a fawn which makes it more difficult.

dnoodles likes this.
  14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    unless you are hoping for a barren doe at this point it shouldn't matter if a fawn has its mama. Like as not any doe you shoot at this point is already prego with next year's fawn.

15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got my first pic of a coyote at my house. I have been running cameras here for 3 years and this is the first one I ever got here. I knew they were close to this area but this confirms it! 12142799.JPG

kb1785 and dnoodles like this.
  16. kb1785

Dislikes Received:
    Got it done with a doe this morning.

dnoodles and Holt like this.
  17. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! Congrats on the doe!

I heading out this afternoon for a hunt. Anything goes tonight except button bucks. Hope I can add points for the team, but more importantly I need meat!

dnoodles likes this.
  18. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys....sorry I haven’t checked in for a while. I have been super busy at work since I took most of November off. I haven’t had time to be on the forum. Yesterday was my first hunt since I killed my last buck on November 8th. My late muzzleloader season lasted 30 minutes. The first deer in the field was an ancient old bully buck. Smoked him at 100 yds with my TC muzzleloader. 150 7/8” with 6 6/8 bases and only 15” spread. I think he is 8 years old. My Iowa season is now over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh/OH, foodplot19, Holt and 2 others like this.
  19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

.. and what a great season it was! Congrats

boonerville likes this.
  20. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    As for me, going to try to make lemonade out of lemons. One of the counties I hunt in Michigan went from zero known cases of CWD to 11 just this year. So they opened up an extra January two week season. I'm going to be able to hit it at least one if not both weekends.

That's the good news. The bad news is Michigan DNR was completely blindsided by this and obviously they're going scorched-earth similar to what Illinois did. I don't have the answers but don't know that I feel that mass kill offs are part of it.