Spotting Scopes

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by rfagar, Dec 12, 2017.

1. rfagar

rfagar Newb

Dislikes Received:
    New here...,looking for spotting scope for around $1K. Leupold, Vortex....others? Recommendations on straight vs angled? Other considerations? Thank you in advance. RA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have one son that has the Leupold and another son as the Vortex. I have a old Redfield I use. There scopes are better then mine. I honestly cant tell the difference between the two as far as clarity. This might sound dumb. When the animals are feeding or bedded down and you have time, I like the angled scope. It feels more comfortable to me. If there walking and you have to get a quicker look, I like the straight. I can get on them quicker. But then again I'm old and slow and half blind :eek2:

3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am running an Swaro ATS with no complaints. That said if i was on a tighter budget i would get a kowa.

Oldcarp likes this.
  4. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like my Leupold angled. More comfortable for me glassing long range long time. Carry 10x binos for the quick cover spotting.

5. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have read good reviews on Athlon ARES spotting scope. Personally i have an angled vortex razor which i would recommend but for that price range the reviews have the ARES comparing nicely to the razor. It was the first angled spotter that i had bought and won't go back to a straight, just make sure that it rotates otherwise it can be a sob to spot out of a vehicle.
    There 20-60x85 is $960 and there 15-45x65 is $720 on there website.

6. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Burris HD 20-60X85-also has optional 30x fixed eyepieces.

7. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also have a Vortex Razor with an angled eye piece. Having looked through a friend's a couple of years ago, the clarity was amazing and the angle was comfortable. I haven't gotten it onto a mountain yet, but I am looking forward to with the PhoneSkope

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    its a little over your budget but the kowa tsn55 mm scope they released is awsome good for its size. I am thinking of selling my swaro ATS and saving a little bit of weight with 55mm kowa

9. Michael Edwards

Michael Edwards Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Vortex Razor's for years. They are wonderful for the price. With that said, I have upgraded to Swarovski STS because...well Swarovski's are the best, by far hands down. If someone says different, they are lying to themselves. But when looking through glass to make your money, thats what you need. But if you are not behind them 175-200 days a year then the Vortex Razors will be some of your top end glass in that price range

rfagar likes this.
  10. gunfighter48

gunfighter48 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Vortex Viper HD 20 X 60 X 80 spotting scope and just love it. Crystal clear views and excellent resolution at extreme ranges. I bought it for long range shooting, over 1000 yards. It's perfect for the job. I also have 2 Vortex rifle scopes that ave just excellent also.

11. Kyle Sinclair-Smith

Kyle Sinclair-Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run the 20-60*85mm Vortex Razor HD straight eye piece. I love it and it has preformed flawlessly since 2011