Questions about proper broadhead

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by pastorjim08, Dec 5, 2017.

1. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do any of you veteran crossbow shooters know if it's necessary to shoot broadheads that are designated for crossbows or will your regular heads work? I currently shoot NAP KillZones and wondered if I can shoot them from a crossbow.

Blessings............Pastorjim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

2. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot G5 Montec Fixed on mine and haven't had no issues....I do practice with several old 1's though and not with the field points, and the 1's I practice with where left over from a few yrs ago before I switched to Expandables on my Compound. Haven't had any issues at all with them on the Crossbow, fly true just like when I used them on my Compound. After reading Justin's comment in the Ravin 15 review on here I'm thinking of switching to the Thunderhead Nitro, but really don't have a reason to switch from the Montec as of yet.

To be honest (and I'm not the knower of all Crossbows) but I actually think pretty much all broadheads will fit and work fine in your Crossbow (but again don't count that as Bible) lol

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say it depends- how much faster is your Xbow than your vertical? Some heads are not designed to take the extra KE.
    That being said, your KZs should be ok- they are non-CoC and don't have a notch in the back of the blades to snap.

FWIW, I accidentally bought a pack of Muzzy HB crossbow heads instead of my normal (non Xbow) version. I can't tell the difference at all.

Rangerdan likes this.
  4. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    :hijacked:

I get you're using what you already had- but if you're going to switch and you're using a hard-hitting crossbow why would you not use a tough mechanical?

5. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would say fixed blades are fine. May run into issues with mechs though with the faster x-bow. Only one way to find out?! But have a buddy hold your beer first!

6. VaDeerHunter

VaDeerHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shot the same Montec G5's from both of my ten points and my Matthews bow. Shot several deer with them and I could not tell a difference.

7. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A hard hitting crossbow needs tough heads. I never seen a tough mechanical head. That is why I will never use a mechanical, especially with a crossbow. Some heads have flight issues at higher speed. Just try what you have out to 50 yards. You will know right away. I use Exodus with my vertical bow with zero issues. I put some 125gr Exodus on some bolts and all 3 flew 8" low at 40 yards, every time. I grabbed some Hellrazors and flew just like FP.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been shooting standard NAP Spitfires now for 5 years out of three different crossbows. I use one dental band on them when using on my fastest setup(400fps) I have taken 15+deer with these without any problems what so ever. There is just something about a 1 3/4" hole that makes the tracking job so much better( like less then 30 yards) Crossbow specific heads are just another gimmick, what is the difference between 315 fps from a vertical bow or 315 fps from a crossbow?

JH Hunter likes this.
  9. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:

I promise you the Muzzy HBs are as tough as any non-1 piece head on the market. I've also used Spitfires w/o issue but I don't for one second believe they are as tough as the Muzzys. But my Xbow isn't that fast.

10. Arkyinks

Arkyinks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Xbows launch harder (short stroke, lots of speed most quick) so some mechanicals may deploy when shot. With higher KE they are more prone to fold up when hitting bone. I shoot fixed blades coc so no issues.

11. Hatfield Hunter

Hatfield Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    you want to see deer go down fast with xbow--here is what I do----I have a large number of the original style Muzzy 4 blade heads in 130 grain---aim for the shoulder itself man they go down hard ! they do not go far with both shoulders shot, I have had deer pushed over onto their side, seems like you go through the shoulder you hit the heart or take the top off ! contacted muzzy hoping they would go back to making these and even up to 150,s with no luck change blades hunt again

12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot what works for you but the Muzzy HBs cannot open unless there is positive impact contact with the little wings. They also have no retention notch in the back of the blades to fail. Punched through a shoulder and offside front leg bone last year with no damage to the expandable blades. Plus they are an all steel one piece ferrule so they are tough as nails.

I would not hesitate to use a Muzzy HB on any North American game from any compound launch platform.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017