Another Huting Accident

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by chieffan, Dec 6, 2017.

1. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Happened Monday not far from me. Shot gun season, one hunter was hit in the hip by a member of his hunting party. One hunter shot twice at a deer. One shot ricocheted off a tree and struck his companion in the hip. He was life flighted to an Omaha Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. No charges were filed.

I for one do not want to be any where near timber during shotgun season with 1 oz hunks of lead flying around. A rifle bullet is a lot, lot less likely to ricochet and will likely break apart on impact with a tree.

2. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hope the dude is alright! And I agree with you, but I don't even want to be in the woods during ANY gun season! Hail the stick and string.

Julian, MUDSHARK, Rangerdan and 6 others like this.
  3. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you guys. too many inexperienced hunters in the orange army. scary to think of a stray bullet shot from who knows where over a mile away can still kill you.

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes I even get paronoid walking in the woods and feel the need to wear an orange hat during movement.

5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear of the incedance but this is false!

6. Ruff

Ruff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually it’s quite true. Here in WI. Many urban areas were shot gun only for the gun season. After studies were done many of those were changed and opened to rifles.
    Rifle bullets tend to frag when striking hard objects or the ground.
    While slugs tend to ricochet or tumble. Speed and mass has a lot to do with it. 165 grain bullet at 2900’ per second isn’t going to hold up like a 1 once slug going 1400’ per second.

7. Anthony2991

Anthony2991 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, Ive first hand seen a slug ricochet off the ground and then chop the top ten feet off a pine tree.

8. Excalibur

Excalibur Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tbis kind of stuff bappens every year some where. Its some scary stuff once the Orange crew hits the woods.

Shawn
    Jennings ProGold
    Easton FMJ 339 grains
    NAP Spitfire DoubleCross 100 grains
    2017 Team 3 Shed Hunting
    2017 Team 6 Turkey Hunting
    2017 Team 5 Deer Hunting

9. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Iowa is starting to see the light. It is legal to hunt with a rifle and/or hand gun, but very limited. Has to be straight wall cartridge, center fired, .357 up through .500 S&W Magnum. Can be used ONLY during the youth disabled season and both shot gun seasons.

10. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had to start yelling at 8:00 am opening day of WI gun season because someone shot at a doe twice. The first round whipped past me the second hit a tree 6 feet away.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a stand that is pretty much right in the middle of my 40 acres that I will typically hunt during Rifle season. Seems like the safest place to be. A few years ago, I heard a shot, followed by the whiz of a miss which included snapping branches as the bullet made it's way though the draw of timber I was in. I still can't figure out where the hunter could have been and where they were shooting to get a bullet there. Regardless, I hate hunting during rifle season.

12. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With any other license we get, have to prove our ability to do the task at hand safely. Not so with a hunting license. Sit on their butt all year and get their deer license and the automatically become hunters? I don't know what the answer is but one life is one to many to loose to stupidity.

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why I wish everybody would hunt with single shot weapons. If you miss, you won't be chasing a running deer spraying bullets. I don't know how many times I've heard people empty a magazine in the woods.

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think most states require the hunter to have passed a hunters education class. The problem isn't whether or not they know the safety rules because I would bet most do, they just don't follow them.

early in and MUDSHARK like this.
  15. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have a WMA that's on TVA property here that is bow only. Last year when I ventured on to public ground, that was my preferred haunt. The others are open to mz, rifle or whatever is in season. Only had one sit that got scary but it was enough for me. Our squirrel season coincides and as I sit in my tree I watched two dogs follow my footsteps from about 100 yds or so out.

They dogs wound up at the base of my tree yelping. I figured my hunt was over. Never saw the hunters but what sounded like .22s started ringing and popping trees near me. Welp! Time to go home.

I have no problem sharing the woods with whoever in legal season, BUT KNOW YOUR TARGET!

16. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In NY recently a "hunter" shot his female neighbor while she was walking several dogs in a field. How do you misidentify a woman and several dogs, out in a field no less, as a deer. He obviously saw her well enough to hit his target. IMO many if not most of these "accidents" and not accidents at all.

17. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

we must be close to one another i heard the same story

18. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He took a shot at a "deer" at 5:30 pm with a pistol 200 yards away. After legal hunting hours, He is in big trouble. He deserves it.

19. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    it was almost dark when he shot her. my friend knew the guy that shot her. nice kid just made a bad decision I guess. then the next day an amish guy from ohio was hunting in that same area and mistaken a truck for a deer and shot it. I just stay home until its over then go back out in the late season. awesome having the entire woods all to yourself.

20. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well ok then. I hate this myth!!