***Official Scorecard Commentary Thread***

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Fitz, Sep 16, 2017.

1. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    People throw around numbers like it’s no big deal. Like a 125” deer is small and just an every day occurrence. Most people won’t shoot a 125” much less a 140”-150” in their lifetime. I realize their are some areas that crank out deer this size but to the average Joe without access to great private land, a 125” deer is a huge accomplishment. My 8 pt this year scored over 140” which I couldn’t believe. I had him pegged at about 130”-135” on camera. The mass was something I was just not anticipating until I walked up on him after I shot him. I knew it was a heavy deer, but not as heavy as he ended up being with nearly 40” of total mass.

What it all boils down to is a lot of people feeling the need to keep up with the guys and gals on TV when that just isn’t realistic and throwing around numbers like 150” like it’s no big deal. That is a huge deer! Just be happy with what you shoot and own it, whether it’s a basket six or a giant. Score is just a number and if that’s all that someone is worried about, why are you hunting?

Junior likes this.
  2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What I think it comes down to is guys make honest mistakes. I don't have a clue which buck(s) you guys are referring so I can't say that for certain in this instance. I would say a majority of guys have never even scored a buck before. I for one have not. Shot a few but no "monsters" so have never cared enough to score them. In most instances I guess I don't see it as a problem. If a guy adds 5" to his deer, sweet, I won't lose sleep over it. If it's for this contest, then I think it should be brought up to that specific person directly in a PM whether it's a teammate or someone else. No point in complaining about it without trying to fix the issue first.

3. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was speaking in generalities and mostly people judging deer on the hoof and by pics. I am not sure which deer they are referring to on the official scorecard. I haven’t seen any blatantly obvious overscores, but I haven’t really paid that close of attention. I do know some giant bucks have been taken in this year’s contest. Maybe they’re referring to mine! :)

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.
  4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Knockin Niners are on a freaking ROLL!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Am I the only one who thinks that it should be manditory to also include a pic of your score sheet? Just for instance, and I'm no trying to offend anyone... Bennybuck's entry... Thats a nice buck but if that deer scores 130" than I'm Santa Claus. It may just be the pics but I guess what I'm getting at is it's hard to know either way if there isn't a score sheet to reference.

Englishman and foodplot19 like this.
  6. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It happens every year.
    I just would like a score sheet to show what each number belongs to. Whether you see an 8ptr or 30 ptr, it only gets 4 mass measurements per side and a point has to be an 1" to be counted.
    Personally, not on here I've seen guys that swear they shot a 150" deer, but little did they know that outside spread and tip-tip don't count. There is a thread on here about scoring that I don't believe is looked at very often.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

7. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The first post by Fitz on the entry thread says that a scoring breakdown has to be posted with the bucks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

foodplot19 likes this.
  8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I intentionally overscored my doe and I admit it, she did NOT have 50" of antler.
    And I'm not sorry.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I will just say I really need someone else to score my deer.

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I know for a fact some guys just don't want to have a deer that doesn't seem impressive scorewise. Sad reality of the male ego for some reason.

11. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey buddy, I scored my buck and got him 130”. He had a good amount of mass on him which helped. That was my first time scoring a deer so if I did in fact make a mistake it was 100% an honest mistake. I’d score him again but the buck is at the processor so...anyways if you’re Santa Claus I’ll gladly take a 200” buck for Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't think I am one in question, but have always said I'll provide any measurement in question with a picture.

I wonder how many submit a IS measurement larger than the shortest mainbeam.

I know the first time I ever tried to score a deer, my first deer ever, I got it over 150" :lol: I was measuring abnormals as G's and from the last point to the tip as a G thinking it was considered a point so must be a tine :lol:

I don't know of any easy way to bring it to light. Maybe contact that teams captain and ask them to reach out to whoever is in question.

I actually think we have a few that may be scored a bit low, or the pics just do it a lot of justice.

foodplot19 and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This one went 129 4/8 I believe it was, the exact fraction part slips me

20170817_145817.jpg

14. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The first deer I ever scored was a public land 8 point I shot. I came up with 138 and some change...and 27 year's later he scores 136 and some change, lol.

20171111_194031.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Clearly you did something wrong....LOL Awesome buck and awesome taxi job!

cls74 likes this.
  16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Benny, you very well may have just made a mistake or perhaps double hit a number. You shot a buck I'd shoot any day this year so know it has nothing to do with shaming at least from my perspective.

If it was your first time scoring good chance just made a mistake. I always say score it twice separately and then look at other bucks (that you know were scored right) and see if your number passes the eye test. Check out cls74's buck above....it didn't break 130. Again congrats and know you are not the only one, I wasn't gonna bring up names but yours did so no worries...to me captains need to take care of saying things.

Englishman and OkieArrowSlinger like this.
  17. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If I would’ve know there would be issues on here (which I should’ve expected seeing some guys posts in other threads) I would’ve provided a picture of the score sheet. I looked through the score thread to see how others posted them and saw a lot who didn’t post it so I didn’t. Sorry to rub anyone the wrong way I’m just trying to have fun and shoot some deer. That was my first mature buck and I’m not a huge fan of guys nocking someone down because they think it’s scored wrong. I’m happy with him and he’s going on my wall dammit!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is the one I was referring. I was measuring the G2 on left side as G2 and G3 think I added tip to tip etc.

Mainframe 6 with junk, still haven't rescored him. Was my first deer ever

Screenshot_20171111-195247.png

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    As he should brother, score doesn't matter to the definition of a trophy.

20. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why get anal about it now, been happening for years and isn't confined to the deer contest. Unless you're going to start visiting everyone that enters a buck score with an official scorer tagging along, maybe you should stop worrying about it. This bitching and moaning over speculation is getting absurd to be honest. All it's going to accomplish is to ruin the contest for everyone.
    1. Nothing can be done about it without totally impractical steps to insure an accurate score by an official scorer or a contest score restructure.
    2. What if you're estimate of someone elses score is wrong and you're just being a presumptuous ****.
    3. No one's life is on the line with this contest....