Guardians of the Timber - Team 11

Discussion in '2017 Deer Contest' started by Marauder, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well not a bad morning. Saw 3 bucks total. No does. Two 2.5 yr olds and a spike. Gotta get Home to do some chores. Man I wish I could sit all day

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Westfinger likes this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a good sit.

Quick backstory on my buck. Took my daughter out with me last night. Hunted over the buck decoy where I had encounters with 3 bucks the other day. Yearling came into field and my daughter was pretty excited. I told her the doe and a buck would be coming out behind. I stood up and got my bow ready. The doe came out and keep looking back. Needless to say I was thrilled to see the nine point from the other morning come out. He bristled up and started walking over to the decoy. As he pulled up to 20 yards. I let the arrow go.
    I have been super lazy and didn’t have my camera set up but between the two of us we figured the hit was back alittle. We eased out of there. Since it was cold and calm I let it go all night. I came back and found a good blood trail that led me right to him.
    Great feeling getting your one and only target buck.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a great hunt with your daughter! Excellent buck as well!

Westfinger likes this.
  4. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    What an awesome hunt! Target buck over a decoy!Decoy hunts are so intense. And for your little lady to be there with.... hard to top that. Congrats man

Blarney22 and Westfinger like this.
  5. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Brandon and OK!

6. Wisconsin Buckwatch

Wisconsin Buckwatch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the buck! Great story as well!

7. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
  8. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
  9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of score sheet. I didn’t see Blarneys doe on there yet. Where right in the thick of it score wise.

10. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll work on getting it out there today

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

11. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Got her on the scorecard. I won't be back in the woods for two weeks. Hope I'm still seeing action when I get back out there[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

12. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    I saw quite a bit of movement this weekend, that cold front really put them on their feet. I passed on 3 different bucks, all of them where in the 100 to 115" range. I'm looking to shoot something a little better than that this year. I have some trail cam pics of some nicer deer so trying to hold out. The doe I shot had a buck on her tail too.

I got to see some bird dogging and lip curls this weekend, I was in heaven. Good luck to everyone getting after it this week.

13. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the update Blarney. Sounds like a good weekend with some opportunities. You should be rewarded for your patience and persistence.

Shocker99 and Blarney22 like this.
  14. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMAG0105_1.gif IMAG0085_1.gif IMAG0106_1.gif Screenshot_20171103-105015.png Today was the start of my 5 day mini rut vacation. Saw a couple young bucks but no mature deer. They are in the area though!

15. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    Great deer, Love the daylight images! Good luck!

16. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The weather should be perfect for a lot of you this weekend! I am here in the NE right now until friday, but the weather here is amazing and getting better by the weekend! Drop some bucks this weekend fellas... we are due.

Westfinger, Shocker99 and Blarney22 like this.
  17. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I’m chomping at the bit. I’m calling in sick on the 10th and am off already from the 11th-19th. So far I only have a total of MAYBE 12 hrs on stand. It’s time to get serious fellas......

18. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My deercation starts a week from today in Oklahoma!! 7 days of hunting while I'm there and 6 tags to fill if possible! Lol

rockinrod12, Shocker99 and Westfinger like this.
  19. Blarney22

Dislikes Received:
    Darn quiet on here lately. Hope that all means your all out hunting :) Ill be in the stand again tomorrow. Shoot straight everyone

Westfinger likes this.
  20. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So here is a recap of my Rutcation in the Bigwoods: October 28 - November 7. I will add some pictures later on when I compile them together in my PC.

Day 1 - The stand I setup in is one about 2.5 miles walk in. It was pretty cold for the first sit with the winds around 7-10 mph. We had enough snow on the ground to see them coming. Got in the stand around 6 am. About 8:30 am I saw a buck in the distance making a rub on a tree. That is initially how I spotted him from his movement. He then went to the trail that I was on. He went to about 18 yards from me and turned down another trail which I could shoot down. He came in broadside about 16 yards. I noticed that he was a buck we had on camera. We named him Goofy. Goofy is a crappy 8 point. 3 on one side and 5 small points on the other. Nothing I wanted to shoot. At 16 yards I opted to let him walk. He then continued on behind me and made a scrape and moved on until he was out of sight. I didn't see a deer for the rest of the day.

Day 2 - I hunted with my partner in a different location. It was a shorter walk and we setup for an afternoon hunt. I was setup in a tiny tamarack tree about 8 inches around. Neither of us saw a deer on this sit. Uneventful with the exception of hearing a wolf howl.

Day 3 - I got in the stand a little late that day. It was extraordinarily windy that afternoon. I checked my camera going in and realized I missed a buck we call Chip by less than an hour. That hurt a little. I was happy that he was moving in the daylight and didn't know I was hunting him, but mad that I missed a chance of him. About 3 hours or so I battled the wind of 16 mph and gusts well over 20, I felt pretty uneasy and got down from my stand. We then packed it out.

Day 4 - The winds hadn't improved any. I opted to take a day off and recuperate. I wanted to wash my clothes and get my things together. My partner and I did some scouting and found some fresh sign. Also I went and picked up a lifeline for my tree to make myself feel a little more at ease.

Day 5 - The winds finally changed to my benefit. My partner headed to his brothers land that was closer to his house. I was on my own in the bigwoods. The wind was directly in my face around 11 mph and was pretty brisk. Nothing happened until around 5 pm. I looked to my right down the trail I was on towards where there is a scrape. It's 70 yards down and a little hard to see through a pine in my way. Well I thought I saw branches swaying really fast. I looked harder and noticed a very large deer over the scrape! A very large deer! After a moment I thought I saw him go the other direction. I grunted and then he disappeared. About 5 minutes he reappeared to my right in a open stretch of pine timbers about 60 yards. He looked to me like a giant! Biggest deer I've seen in the woods. Well I couldn't find my can call and grunted him again. He didn't respond. It was windy so it's possible he didn't hear me. He was also very particular with the wind. Well I tried grunting again it was frozen. Then he was gone for good. After I got down I went back to the scrape he was at and pulled the chip of the camera over the scrape and confirmed he was a 130 class giant! Later on a nicknamed him Rome.

Continued........

Westfinger likes this.