Green Mountain Hunters Thread

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by 802bowlife, Aug 6, 2017.

1. AAA

AAA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Moved that stand tonight. Time to get aggressive,hope this move pays off. Also found a fresh scrape. It was fresh,I could smell it standing over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

802bowlife likes this.
  2. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scrapes are likely to be freshened up during nocturnal hours depending on how close to the bedding area you are. Nonetheless, that sounds like some good sign to take info from. Get after him ASAP! He's likely to change patterns again soon depending on wind, rut etc. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

3. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, he sure is teasing you! Practically licking your cam! I’m with you, had much the same luck here in upstate NY. They come when I can’t hunt or come to a different stand than the one I’m in. :(

4. 802bowlife

802bowlife Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's been my season all year so far. Checking cameras today for the first time in two weeks. See how bad he has been teasing me still. I haven't been out much the last week cause of work and coaching but have the next three days to slam woods. Have had a spike and odd looking young 4 come in a handful of times but that's not what I am after. Had does a few times but all just out of range or not given the best look at their vitals for an ethical shot. Hoping to find some luck the next few days and that Biggie still showing himself around my stands

5. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    I know about the teasing

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I’m calling him Peekaboo as he did this 3 different times. Stick to your values & these next bunch of days will be great! Good luck & let us know what you get!

Rangerdan and 802bowlife like this.
  6. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    seen three 1.5 year olds this weekend that I let go (one being a spike) and also had 4 doe two seperate mornings work through 5 minutes before legal shooting light within 10 yards of my tree but because of the time I didn't take a shot. Great close calls though. Need one of my shooters to do that. Went roaming for scrapes and rubs and found just that. Had 6 scrapes and hookings within 80 yards of eachother. Can't wait to get out and hunt it.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Rangerdan likes this.
  7. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    small basket 6pt working a scrape on an oak ridge at my place

8. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    VT wide 5pt checking a scrape - checked it 3 times in two hours.

9. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Starting to see some new bucks showing up on cameras around 11Am-2PM. Seen a few youngsters respond to grunting and hitting scrapes. With the cold front coming in this weekend, its going to be an amazing weekend to be in the woods!

10. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    I cannot wait for this weekend with that temp drop coming through.
    scrapes only hitting right before or right after dark, occasional midnight being done.
    need some day time movement to occur with these horns.

Rangerdan likes this.
  11. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    these are two bucks I haven't seen all summer/fall running cameras.
    waiting for my top 2 bucks to show at one

Rangerdan likes this.
  12. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    projected low 'teens for the weekend weather forecast, perfectly timed.
    checking a scrape cam tonight.
    can't wait!

13. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck over the weekend! That wide 5 is big bodied. Your deer are very similar to our local population. May not have the best of horns but still very worthy of the chase.

14. marine1986

marine1986 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be hunting NH tomorrow, good luck all

802bowlife likes this.
  15. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    midday scrape check.

Rangerdan likes this.
  16. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    small/busted 8pt - buddy shot it last night w/ rifle - dressed 151lb.

17. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    had 8 different bucks from Nov 2-11 come through this point on the ridge checking this spot - only two young ones did in day light.
    few does here and there hit it up too.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  18. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    JJ.JPG JJ.JPG JJ.JPG JJ.JPG JJ.JPG

That giant buck I was chasing this past bow season, "Jeremiah Johnson", in VT was shot by a buddy of mine of the 5th day of VT Rifle Season. It scored just over 138" which I believe last I checked was the 5th biggest buck taken in the state for 2017 rifle and bow combined. My other shooter "Biggie Smalls" which I followed all last summer and uploaded his antler progression as the year went on has survived and I got a photo of him late in the evening mid Decemeber. Run cameras all year long and on two I have a real big bodied shed buck that I pray is my boy "Biggie Smalls"!

19. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    birthday double.JPG

for 5 years now I have tried killing a bird on my birthday and always end up with some bad luck and not being able to dump one in the face or stick one with an arrow like I dream. Well this season it finally changed for me, so determined to just fill one tag on my birthday I elected to throw some Long Beard XR shells out rather than carry the stick and string. Roosted a big long beard the night before my birthday and got right into him first light the next morning, but he had a hen that flew into our set but they remained 75 yards out in full strut starring at my set for over an hour but with no commitment when out of no where 50 yards behind me 6 jakes start screaming theirs faces off at my set, about making me jump out of my seat, I must have called them in and they silently covered ground until they saw my set and started screaming and running. by the time I peaked over my shoulders all 6 were full strut or 3/4 strut at 30 yards and coming right on a string to my strutter decoy. At that point I said screw the Tom that was now moving away from this action and group of jakes and they were coming right into my lap. They were double and triple gobbling but dead behind me so I couldn't make a move (about to believe my typical birthday luck was about to unfold yet again with no shot opportunity) but when they walked by me at 10 yards screaming and right into my strutter Tom decoy I was able to dump the two lead big jakes at about 10 paces with one shot. UNREAL hunt for just some jakes (16.4lbs 5" and 16.2lbs 5.5"). But I FINALLY got it done on my birthday, happy 25th to me! After this date I called in 8 more Toms for people to kill including two first time turkey killers! Of course the only jakes I call in all year are when I am up to bat. What a season it was. Now back to slaying with the stick and string in the fall and next season! BRING ON THE BUCKS AND BEAR!

20. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:

First Black Bear of the spring. Tried for over 20 minutes to tear my camera off the tree, thankfully he didn't get it off the tree, wouldn't have been my first camera to be carried off by a bear.

Tags: