NY activity

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by used2belucky, Oct 23, 2017.

1. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    southern NY here.. early season has been super slow for me . barely seen anything until sunday morning, saw 4 bucks on the drive to the orchard then I saw 9 bucks and 5 doe in a 5 hour sit . all youngsters, all were revved up sparring scraping rubbing.. pushing doe around. had a fork and a spike pushing each other around for a good hour @ 10 yards from me and got to hear my first ever in snort wheeze in 30 years of hunting (was much quieter than I thought it would be) ... any other new Yorkers seeing any action ??

Rangerdan likes this.
  2. quickstick

quickstick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Broome co. Here. Along the pa border. I’ve had about the same, early season 10/1 ( which I had to work ) was my last sighting of my #1 hit lister during day light / shooting times. I wasn’t even picking up bucks on trail cams. I saw some does for a short time after that, but even they dropped off the radar. 10/24 was the first decent buck I’ve had on cam in nearly two months & @ 0948.

[​IMG]

I put a post on here back in early September to get an estimate of age and most said 2.5. I’m not good at estimates yet. Here’s that photo as well, and would like an opinion from another NYer.

[​IMG]

I’m dying to hear a snort wheeze. Did u get to see the buck that made it?

Rangerdan likes this.
  3. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From VT, but have a lease in Northern NY. Not seeing any sign of chasing yet, but bucks are sparring and seeing allot more scrapes appearing everywhere. Happy to hear gears are shifting as we approach Halloween! Getting out this evening with fingers crossed.

4. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Broome County also super slow seen a couple does here and there that presented no shots. Guys I know who hunt the same county report the same.slowest year to date for me.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. mikido

mikido Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County, no rut activity yet. Let's keep this thread alice

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. loworange88

loworange88 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Onondaga/Madison county here....Young bucks are seeking doe, the mature buck so far are still a no-show. I've seen deer pretty much every sit so far but once. Hoping things pick up in the next 2 weeks, so far its on track.

Rangerdan likes this.
  7. nynewguy

nynewguy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had a nice buck visiting a doe that I walked up on a week or so ago. Got a snort wheeze out of him before he bolted. There wasn't any chasing or sparring. I'll be in the woods tomorrow, and I have a feeling that there will be some action in this area. I'll report back on what I see. I'm down in Suffolk.

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Orleans Genesee here and lots of activity but no rut markers yet. Attribute it to the cold snap.

9. used2belucky

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to say. That velvet Pic id put him at 2.5 but the hard horn Pic imo looks a year older.. either way I hope you get to see him.
    The buck that I saw snort wheeze was a 2.5 year old and was 5 yards from my stand he just finished sparring with a spike when he did it. So close I literally saw the snot come out his nose.
    I’ve had a lot more camera appearances this week from some of the older bucks in the area. All in the middle of the night. Can’t wait for Saturday to come hopefully one of them slips up

10. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Who’s Alice? Haha!

Creepy21 and used2belucky like this.
  11. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    I’d almost consider them different deer if it wasn’t for the crab claws. Never seen any of our local deer with them. Velvet pic he looks shy like a awkward teenager (2.5). Hard horned he appears confident & def swollen neck.

OMG, I think the snot would have been coming out of my nose too with your bucks snort wheeze at only 5 yards. I really thought that only very mature & aggressive bucks would snort wheeze and since I don’t see many of this age category I figured ours just wouldn’t be prone to it.

I think we’re on the verge of it getting going. I have to work the morning both sat & sun, but on mon I’m off for 7 days. I may have timed it well.

I sure hope one of these two show back up. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I call this last guy boo. He likes to play peek-a-boo with my camera. Not much in tine length but wide & cool chocolate horns. Good luck this weekend

12. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Hey ash. I had talked to u once before looking for different places to hunt. My cams got great pics of some fine bucks & like u said went silent.

I just posted a pic of my fav that I nick named Boo. This is the last pic I have of him. Opening day around 7 am....... & I was stuck at work. I think this pic is my fav, kinda fits his name in a ghostly sense too No a single pic of him since. He had been at this same camera site every few days before going cold

[​IMG]

13. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I took my cams down as soon as season started. I’ve been out every morning and night haven’t seen a thing the past couple sets. Hopefully things will be moving tonight with storm moving in. Sunday’s a wash out

14. used2belucky

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_9164.JPG

5 hour sit this morning. Nothing. Got a few newbies on cam in the dark. Hopefully one shows his face. Wind is picking up but I’m heading out in westchester for the evening sit. Tomorrow forecast looks like a good day to take my daughter to the movies

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Out again tonight after a true NY bruiser. Wind is right temp is right and I have hundreds of pix of him right in front of this stand at 715+

16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he comes in little early tonight it's on. Lots of debate on score with my friends so I need to get him on the ground and hit his as$ with a tape

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    used2belucky likes this.
  17. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you all have had better than me. Sat last eve in the cold & drizzle. Rain got worse but nothing except two squirrels and the biggest chipmunk I’ve ever seen!

18. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much the same for me

19. quickstick

Dislikes Received:
    Bucks just started moving. Had some on cam following a doe in a new stand area. Sat last night had a shot at one & grazed a twig. Clean miss. After dark I went to lower my bow and it got tangled in my safety rope. Bow came unhooked and fell. Insight archery shop opens at 11. Small nick in lower limb. I don’t mind resighting in but not sure it’s safe to shoot. Vacation may b a bust. Any thoughts ?

20. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely have them draw the bow back safely in a draw board or something just to be sure. If you have a cracked limb, you could loose more than just your hunting season.