Activated Carbon Scent Control

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by chiefsdude4, Oct 11, 2017.

1. chiefsdude4

chiefsdude4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve recently started hunting over the last couple of years and while rifle hunting I have tried several scent control products and haven’t been completely satisfied with any particular product. I realize the importance of scent control and have tried DDW, Scent A-way, and Scent Killer. I have even gone to the extent to make my own spray, wash my clothes in baking soda, among other things.

This year on my first bow hunt I was hunting private land and I was in my stand when a nice 10 came in through the thick timber. I watched him and as I sat there waiting for an opportunity to draw he turned his head away from me....I then stood up and drew....I couldn’t take the shot though because a small tree with some greenery on it was in the way. About 10 seconds later he turns and looks my direction, all I knew is that I needed him to move 6 to 12 inches to place the arrow in a kill area. As I was holding the bow back for 3-4 minutes I knew something was wrong when I could see him sniffing the air and staring my direction. At the end of that 3-4 minutes he turned and ran back through the thicket without taking a step forward and the rest is history. That day this last weekend has haunted me but also gave me an even greater respect of the Whitetail deer and it’s impeccable scent capabilities.

Since then I have done some research and I have found how great activated carbon can be to adsorb odor. I realize that there’s clothing brands infused with activated carbon, silver, and zeolite....but I don’t want to invest the money into those clothing brands yet. I have heard that some guys have taken activated carbon and done different things to infuse it into their hunting clothing. Now, one thing I haven’t seen much of is the success of using these precautions. Are there any hunters out there that have used activated carbon powder that can document the success of it? What are your experiences.....good or bad?

Thanks!

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is no product made that will defeat a deers nose.

pick00l and chiefsdude4 like this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I saw no difference when I went from normal to scent lok suit. I did see difference when I implemented a full blown scent regimen. Including scentless soaps, dressing properly to avoid perspiration, and using ozone. And to me most important is entry/exit to my stands and trying not to take too many chances on hunting iffy winds

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

montec, chiefsdude4 and Sota like this.
  4. chiefsdude4

chiefsdude4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I know there’s not, just doing what I can to adequately manage my scent. I’m gonna get busted no matter what sometimes.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I went away from scent lok to go to a berber fleece. I am a scent control nut I set up a tent when I hunt. I store my camo and bow and gear in the ozone scrubbed tent. I will not hunt if I do not shower first, I spray down every layer and wear 2 layers at a minimum and tuck in and over lap layers. I do not have to travel to hunt and that is a great advantage. I ozone treat my clothes and gear before every hunt in the tent not as tightly confined so I have not had any ozone degeneration.

chiefsdude4 likes this.
  6. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use activated carbon in my boots and will use it as camo on my face and hands that and the DDW body and laundry soap I wash all the clothes and towels then the DDW deodorant I do the ozone in a tent as well for some of the clothing. I still hunt my locations based on the wind as the number one factor. In my suburban setting I think it helps. Every stand I hunt on 24 ac is in the scent cone of a home :confused:

chiefsdude4 likes this.
  7. chiefsdude4

chiefsdude4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t gotten into anything ozone related yet. If I ever get into it, I’ll have to definitely consider your method....seems pretty legit.

8. chiefsdude4

chiefsdude4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Do you feel like your activated Carbon method makes a significant difference in the number of deer you’ve seen?

9. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There is a system and many products that greatly reduce your scent signature. Basically what the system and products do when used properly is knock your scent down to a level where the deer think you are a long way off or you were there a long time ago. The biggest culprit that gets you busted is your breath. After many such encounters I can honestly tell you this is the area where Ozonics really proves it's worth.

chiefsdude4 likes this.
  10. chiefsdude4

chiefsdude4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    After hearing so much from everyone about Ozonics in this thread and outside of it....I’m gonna have to invest in it. It seems like the go-to now.

11. BowHood

BowHood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scent Killer all day Long

12. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've really considered and wanted to purchase an Ozonics unit but man are they expensive. Even on Amazon the HR-200 is $367 and the HR-300 is $446. I know we've all spent almost triple for a bow but, it's not an easy purchase.

13. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Actually I just went to the Ozonics website and they have a limited time offer of $100 off either unit making the HR-200 $299 and HR-300 $399. I just might have to go get my wallet out of my truck. Hmmmm.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shower with DDW soap/shampoo, dry off with a DDW laundered towel, use DDW deodorant, I wear ScentBlocker gear, use Scent Crusher in my truck, and spray down with DDW spray just before going to the stand. That's my process and works pretty well for me. That said, if deer don't smell you, you either have the wind in your favor in addition to your scent prevention/cover methods or you got lucky. I do all that so I can hunt in unexpected or undesired winds and sometimes I can tell that they smell something but I don't think they attribute it to me being a human because they don'y leave and it's just enough to prevent them from blowing, snorting, and running off. Fortunately I haven't had that happen in a few years now. Bumping them while walking to the stand on the other hand...

15. Captn Kirk

Dislikes Received:
    I know it helps reduce foot odor and is a proven scent absorbing medium that said I had a spike 10 ft from the stand two times as he circled me Sunday AM never winded me. Some luck and certainly the preparation helps :bhod:

16. Hillbilly Jedi

Dislikes Received:
    Talked myself into it. Just ordered the HR-300 unit. My wife will probably kill me. Hopefully I get my buck first! Haha!

chiefsdude4 likes this.
  17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Activated carbon powder is something I've used for years. Since that is what the specific question is about I'll save you all the other things I do but as for carbon here are the areas I use it in:

-I use a scentmaster box (out of business now) but the filter along the entire floor I dust every year with fresh carbon powder.
    -I have larger (think pebbles) carbon sprinkled in all my clothing totes and even in the base of my backpack.
    -Every time I get dressed on site and my socks get turned inside out and carbon powder sprinkled on them, rubbed to disperse and get it to cling and then socks on. (your feet are black when done but water washes it right off).
    -Once the socks are on, boots go on but they also get powder sprinkled inside them.
    -I take some powder and rub my entire hair/head with it prior to putting any facepaint on.
    -I use Carbo Mask as my "facepaint" as well.
    -I sprinkle carbon powder into my hands and cover armpits with it.
    -On warm days where I truly believe I'll sweat or temp will increase upon entry I sprinkle powder down front of baselayer top (front/back) and I've also been known to put some in the underwear layer.

Is any, all or none of this needed? Who knows but it is a part of my scent regiment I've grown accustom too and I experience very few issues with deer busting my access or me on stand outside of movement getting me busted.

chiefsdude4 likes this.
  18. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve thought about trying similar practice. Guess you just get used to looking and feeling like you just crawled out of a chimney? Not that I care what I look like if it serves the purpose. I’ve heard of guys even rubbing carbon on their bowstring and release. This throws a red flag to me because any powder is an abrasive.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the blackened face doesn't bug me one bit...a shower cleans it all off with a gentle scrub anyways.

20. Captn Kirk

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2:Ha ha on the black foot I have a chair setting in the yard with a par of clean socks I take of the carbon socks and boots put on the clean socks to get into the house LMAO