Green Mountain Hunters Thread

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by 802bowlife, Aug 6, 2017.

1. CooperH

CooperH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Another VT hunter here, glad to see some fellow Vermonters on here, hopefully this thread stays.

802bowlife likes this.
  2. CooperH

CooperH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shot this 4 pt. Monday morning, my first buck with my bow, 8th deer I've shot here in Vermont. upload_2017-10-11_15-58-48.png

quickstick and 802bowlife like this.
  3. 802bowlife

802bowlife Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    solid job filling your first bow buck tag!

4. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    VT cruising coyote.

5. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    October 6 - night before the VT archery opener 'Biggie' cruising.

6. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    October 10 - 'Biggie' up close - 14 yards from my stand - one of the two evenings I couldn't hunt last week because of work. Teasing me!

quickstick likes this.
  7. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! Another VT Bowhunter here! Chittenden County area, but hunt several surrounding states too. How you guys been making out this season? I'm packing my bags on Wednesday night, heading down to the Berkshires for the upcoming weekend! I've been chomping at the bit to get out, but decided to be patient this year and wait for the right timing.

8. Rangerdan

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

9. Rangerdan

Dislikes Received:
    Now that's a nice looking deer! Looks like a 3 and a half year old. I would put Biggie smalls down as a two and a half year old.

10. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    I am feeling the same regarding their ages for sure. that big giant 8 I have ive been calling 'Jeremiah Johnson' cause he clearly a buck living up in the mountains, in VT a buck of this caliber and age (could be 4/4.5) doesn't survive off of pure luck. He is a smart one for sure. I really hope to catch him slipping but will gladly take 'Biggie' as well!

11. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    ive seen a small four and spike horn multiple times but elected to pass the 4pt at this point and obvi cannot take the spike nor would I want too. I have been only hunting with the correct conditions so far but hasn't broughten me that big nanny doe yet. it seems every sit I take im about 100 yards or less from where I should be, cameras are teasing me.

12. Rangerdan

Dislikes Received:
    I know the feeling! We've all been there. Camera's provide good information, but other than that, I like to take a slower approach and use my knowledge of the topography & terrain to determine where those bucks will show up. Don't be afraid to move your stand based on the information you've gathered from the stand! Its a hard choice to make sometimes, but; "no risk-no reward"! Good for you, waiting on the right winds & conditions...and passing up on Bucks...wish more Vermonters would let the little guys walk. Last season I ate tag soup, got my fill of does and a buck in NY, but let several smaller bucks walk in VT, don't we all want to wrap our hands around a +130" VT buck? Keep up the good work and I'll have m fingers crossed that all your hard work will pay off, when the time is right!

13. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    I have a nice Summit I use a lot to move around the land I hunt, as well as a few permanent sets, so that I can attack it according to weather conditions and thermals as well as how the land lays. this is my 4th year hunting the property and taken a doe every year off of it and took a 2.5 the first year I hunted it on the last day of muzzy season so I have a good understanding for the land. I run cameras for the fact I love getting wildlife photos but don't put tons and tons of stock into them because as the season and leaves change so do deer and i'm not driving myself crazy trying to use just cameras to pattern deer. Hah if we don't let the little ones walk how will we ever get a chance at 100'+ bucks! hoping to catch up to one eventually. i have 8 legals bucks on this one property but only would take 2 maybe 3 of them.

Rangerdan likes this.
  14. AAA

AAA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. AAA

AAA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had much for opportunities so far. Passed on some smaller does. I'm hunting a combo of private and public land and like you've mention the trail cameras have been some what miss guiding. I'm staying motivated and positive though. Good luck this weekend and safe hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Rangerdan likes this.
  16. AAA

AAA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Question for you guys. On my way out of the woods this morning I passed by a fresh rub. I took a closer look and there were a handful of rubs in this general area. So I went back to my set is and grabbed the camera I had there and set it up near these rubs.

Should I move my stand which I've sat in 3-4 time this season (seeing no deer) over these rubs? Keeping in mind it'll take a lil work and limbs will need to be cut, the remaining time left in the season, etc?

17. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say if your current set that hasn't broughten you any luck is doing just that than I would move it to this new spot you found with fresh sign. With only til 11/3 I'd make the move and see what's going on. Wait for a good wind and hit it up. Get aggressive but be smart especially if you're hitting it during rifle or bow hunting during that season. Good luck!

Rangerdan and AAA like this.
  18. AAA

AAA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks for the reassurance. I might do it on Tuesday looks like it's gonna be a steady rain that way I'll leave less sent.

Any luck with Biggie, have you seen him?

19. 802bowlife

Dislikes Received:
    Have him cruising by my stand at 5pm last week two nights but I was unable to be at those sets. Hoping to get after him tomorrow so I can try to lay eyes on him and put an arrow on him.

20. Rangerdan

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect timing this week, with the rain coming. I would get in there today if at all possible. Make your changes and let the rain cover your tracks.

AAA likes this.
Tags: