Any computer guys?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Matt/TN, Sep 15, 2017.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Unless the same data is on both, they don't provide redundancy.
    A 2 bay NAS box can be had for about $150 or so plus the cost of drives. Could have a redundant system with 2 TB of storage for under $350 total.

tynimiller likes this.
  2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry ... I guess I should have been more specific ... I kind of though that was the point. I personally have 4 external drives. At least 3 of them have duplicate copies off all of my video, photo, and other data files ... all for redundancy. I have had hard drives fail in the past both on personal computers and my business computers. Redundancy, I kind of figured in 2017 was pretty self explanatory. It is even easier these days with things like Drop Box and One Drive. I use my 2 TB One Drive account these days to make redundant file copies of things that I am currently working with as they all sync to my home computer, the cloud, and my office computer. I even sync critical projects to an SD card in my Android phone. The same can be done with Drop Box and other cloud based accounts that can sync with multiple PC's and mobile devices.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is surprising how many people don't backup their data. External drives used just as extra storage and that fails, poof data gone. Also if it is a manual process of making sure the data is in two locations, people are lazy and eventually will quit start only copying to one location. which is why I recommend at least a small NAS with mirrored drives to keep a copy of any data a person wants to protect locally. Online storage is OK, but for me that is more a place for convenience of access if I'm not at home. I don't trust that if I need something that those online resources will all still be there. I look back at people who saved all their digital pictures to CD only to have the CD become unreadable and poof, they are gone also.

4. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Could you guys provide me some specific options of the USB external hard drives so I know what I'm looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are going to do just some USB external drives, then I'd just get on Amazon and look at some reviews. I've had good luck with Western Digital and Seagate. Nothing fancy. I have two 4TB drives and two that I think are 2TB. In my home PC, I have one 250GB SSD for my OS/Programs and one internal 2TB 7200 rpm for my data. I back up daily to two 2TB drives and then every couple weeks or so I dump data over to my two 4TB drives and store them in my large fire proof safe. As I said, I also do a lot of saving of current projects to my 2TB One Drive cloud which syncs to my home and work computers. I also have final copies of nearly every video project, photo edit, business AutoCAD work, or other critical stuff on my office computer. I am not saying it is the best system out there, but it works for me.

Using array type drives like remmett70 described works too. Nothing wrong with it at all and it probably is easier as a set it and forget about it feature.

6. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ended up getting a new 15” MacBook Pro w/ touchbar. I love it and I’m glad I saved up to get a nice computer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEC likes this.