What do you like about your bowshop? Needing imput

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Zimboydevon, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Zimboydevon

Zimboydevon Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So ive just recently was given the opportunity to take over a local bow shop here. The current owners have just had some things come up and would like to pass it on but still be involved in the business at least for the first year. Great people and they've built a good reputation in the last 5 years just have not had the time to really push the business due to only being open some evenings and weekends. So my question is what all can be done to broaden the customer base? Different Events? Obviously be open more and I have some ideas of some more things we could offer that I think would go over well in this area. Just curious to hear your suggestions and imput. thanks

2. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    • If they have an indoor range definitely have some indoor leagues over the winter to bring people into the shop.
    • Don't limit your sales to just your shop. Utilize eBay, facebook markets, craigslist any place you can sell stuff
    • Partner with any local archery clubs maybe sponsor a 3D event if there is a local club
    • Get kids involved. If your local schools have NASP definitely offer up cheap range time for kids and sell genesis bows.

dnoodles, Rangerdan, cant and 3 others like this.
  3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you located? What's brands do you carry? Other shops near you?

4. Zimboydevon

Dislikes Received:
    In PA...Martin, Darton, Bear, Diamond, expedition, 10 point, wicked ridge, Barnett. And do a lot of used bow sales. Yes there is another shop not too far but they are a sporting goods store that just sells bows basically. Customer service is crap and they offer no shooting opportunities..3d, technohunt etc. some good suggestions, keep them coming. I plan to market my own foodplot blends and minerals that we've been mixing up ourselves for years already. Possibly rent foodplot machinery, host a bowfishing tournament, (been doing that for years already too.) Big buck contest, have a cooler that I'll prolly rent out for people to hang their deer in over the weekends etc... some stuff that's been running through my head...

Jeepwillys likes this.
  5. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, being that Lancaster Archery is only about 30 miles from where you're talking about, I wouldn't even consider such a venture.

6. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would go check out all the local shops and take note of what they don't have to offer.

Zimboydevon likes this.
  7. Zimboydevon

Dislikes Received:
    Lancaster archery is an hour away and I don't know anyone around here that drives that far for bow service... this isn't the Midwest or some other area with not many options... thanks for your input tho

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest that you do service and customer service very well, do good work fast and do what you say you are going to do.

w33kender likes this.
  9. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You might consider adding a big named brand like Matthews or Hoyt to your inventory.

w33kender and dnoodles like this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a few things I don't like about some of the shops I've been to in the past.
    1. Don't let it turn into the "good old boys" club. I've been in shops where there's constantly the same group of guys just hanging out and shooting the bull. A customer walks in and the people working there act like they're bothering them by interrupting their conversation. Customer service should ALWAYS come first.
    2. Don't push a single brand or ideology on your clients. I've known people who go into a shop looking for a particular brand of bow or arrow only to have shop owners or workers tell them it's garbage and they shouldn't be shooting it, then try to push whatever brand or line they're carrying. There's nothing wrong with educating people, just do it in a polite and helpful manner.
    3. Don't treat customers like you're better than them or know more than they do because you work at a bow shop. Again, this goes back to customer service.
    4. Don't talk bad about people in front of customers. Have to say this one probably bugs me the most. I hate standing around the bow shop and listening to people talk bad about customers, other bow shops, TV personalities, etc. Be helpful, be positive and be nice. Seems like a pretty easy concept to me.
    A couple other things to keep in mind.
    1. Be really good at setting up bows. Nothing ruins a reputation of a bow shop quicker than shotty work. Make sure you know what you're doing, take manufacturer-provided training, take your time and let your work speak for itself. That's how you earn and keep customers.
    2. Charge fair prices for your work. IMO too many bow shops give away their time/labor for free. Lots of guys buying gear online then expecting to have them set it up for them for nothing, or next to nothing. Make sure your hourly rates are clearly posted in your shop and that you're charging appropriately or you'll quickly find yourself being taken advantage of and out of business.
    3. Get kids involved. Parents love spending money on their kids, and then on themselves. Not only does it bring people into the shop and make you money, but it also helps secure the future of archery and bowhunting.
    Good luck with your new venture!

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely this.

12. Zimboydevon

Dislikes Received:

Thanks Justin. Very Good points, I've observed some of the same things and will definitely keep all that in mind.

w33kender likes this.
  13. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lebanon Pa ( you said a local shop) is no more than 30 miles from Lancaster Pa. I don't know why it would take you an hour to drive there, but I know of several folks that make the hour an a half drive to go to Lancaster Archery from where I live here in the Philly suburbs (Mont county). They are that good! I think you would be sticking your neck out for this venture. Think realistically about it, Lancaster is a tough act to follow. Good luck.

14. Jmnhunter

Jmnhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2; same with Justin's #3; theres a local bowshop that is like that, the "club" mentality isnt as bad, but they definitely think they're always right which now I'll be putting my $ towards the other bow shop...

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Be flexible. Understand that different people have different wants and needs. Then be willing to accommodate them and profit while you're doing it.

For example. I called a shop up to order a new bow. When they quoted me MSRP I asked if they could work with me on the price. He stated no he couldn't as that included setting the bow up and doing a rough tune. I stated that was fair enough and I appreciated that service however I didn't need it. I only wanted the bow, they wouldn't even need to open the box. He declined. I thanked him for his time they called someone else. he gladly accepted and accommodated me and garnered a profit.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    dnoodles likes this.
  16. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Being Open when I can come in. No matter how good the work or prices are, does me no good if they are closed when I am able to get there.

17. Zimboydevon

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input so far!

18. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is excellent advice. I have a bow shop less than 30 minutes from my house, but the owner does all of the things Justin listed above. That is why I make the 2+ hour drive to Mack's Prairie Wings in Stuttgart, Arkansas when I need something done or need something that I can't get online or at Bass Pro Shop.

Trust me, folks will drive however far they need to if they don't feel like their business is important to you or if you treat them like some kind of idiotic novice when they have a different opinion than you do. This local shop owner is a wonderful tech and a fantastic archer, but that doesn't make him all-knowing.

cant and Jeepwillys like this.
  19. Zimboydevon

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replys... just curious if anyone here runs a bow shop?

20. cant

cant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much the same story for me. Change 2+ to 1&1/2.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums