cellular cam tips wanted

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by used2belucky, Oct 10, 2017.

1. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so I have 2 covert cellular cams and I love them. I have them set on 3 round burst. the camera only texts the first picture of the series.. lately ive been getting pictures of nothing, but when I go pull the cards the deer will be in the 2nd or 3rd pic or both, not the first. ive tried changing angles pointing down trails, tried moving it higher and lower in the trees, changed the delay settings everywhere from 5 seconds to 50 seconds and I get the same result. I also tried moving the camera further away but the picture quality suffers. the picture quality on the card is much better than the quality of the pic texted. anyone else run into this or have any helpful tips ?
    the area I live/ hunt (southern NY) mostly thicket-swampy type woods or hilly oak type hardwoods , travel routes, deer are strolling by. no food plots or open fields for hundreds of miles

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I has covert code blacks and switched to Spartan where the last picture is the one that gets sent. When I check my cards some of them are just a nose or head of a deer but I get the pics with the entire deer in it. On the other side of this if you have a fast running deer I may not get it and you will. When I have my code blacks I taped off a little strip on each side of the sensor to narrow the sensor field and that worked. 1/8 of an inch on each side was good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have 11 of the Coverts cell cams and we keep them on 1 shot only and don't have that much problem with what you are describing but we also have them set up on food sources that have them stopping/standing so that will probably make a huge difference. Unfortunately the biggest downside with all of Covert cameras (not just the Cell cams) is their detection circuit. It is middle of the road at best and it seems to be even a tad worse on the cell cams.

I will be attending a deer camp fish fry in November with the Covert people (including the owner) and I plan to chap their asses about the detection circuits and see if they have anything going to make improvements. To me it is the last thing standing in their way to becoming a clear leader as a second tier camera manufacturer (Reconyx being Tier 1 all by themselves). I'm interested to see what they have to say on the matter.

I'd suggest you change your cell cam to 1 shot only and then maybe put an extra cam right there with it to capture extra pictures. Either that or try and put something there that will make the deer stop like a salt block or mock scrape or something.

4. used2belucky

used2belucky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    really appreciate the info.. I do feel like the sensor range is too wide. wider than the lens .. I'm going to give the mock scrape a try. and tape the sides of the sensor and walk by at different speeds and see what happens.. thanks guys

5. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also run covert code black cell cams and have been having detection issues. u guys have any tips as far as service areas go? I have a sanctuary id love to get a cell cam into but theres zero reception there.

6. alfarah50

Dislikes Received:

I have one hung on a scrape about 10ft high and a touch further then normal. it performs the best. I'm tempted to buy another brand of cams and see how well they work compared to the coverts.

7. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They offer a better antenna you can run up a tree. It does help with AT&T in my area but I now have Verizon cams and have no probblems.

8. alfarah50

Dislikes Received:
    do u get service on the cams where ur cell phone doesn't??

9. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My cams would just work some days and stop working which I assumed was the signal issues. It did help with that. I had Verizon phone and my code blacks were AT&T so I dont know. I had a cheap AT&T phone from walmart to get the sims card out of. I tried it back then and i think it was one bar better than the phone. I had to many other issues with there cams. Some were AT&T some was just the camera. Since Spartan Verizon came out I have not had 1 tenth of the issues. They just keep working.