Any computer guys?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Matt/TN, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking to get another computer in the not so distant future. Our laptop is 5-6 years old now and outdated. What should I be looking for that won't break the bank that will work great in the editing department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Desktop or laptop?

I'm not a laptop guy. I like my desk tops with muti-monitor setups. I have two desk top systems that I do all of my photo/video work on.

For editing, a couple of things that I would consider right now is the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 processor, 16 GB (minimum) of RAM, and a solid video card like a 1060 to 1080 range GeForce GTX. Actually, any x60 to x80 card will work well. Oh ... and a solid state drive for your OS and programs. Then 7200 rpm drives for data. The rest of the pieces will then fall in place.

Here are a couple great links that are updated monthly for video editing and what hardware is out there given different budget levels.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/Build-Photo-Editing-PC

http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/videoediting

MGH_PA likes this.
  3. txbowhunter13

txbowhunter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Go with the newest 27 inch 4k iMac. You won't be disappointed.

Sota likes this.
  4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:

It's been a while, but it looks like Ryzen is finally closing the gap again for AMD, and it's much better priced than say an i7.

5. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Find something with a solid state hard drive, or if you can get one cheap without an SSD, upgrade it immediately and do a clean install of windows. That helped my $400 HP Envy (Laptop) tremendously.
    I'm not versed in the nerd lingo as far as processors etc., so I'll leave that to the nerds. I've heard great things about Mac's, but the price tag is too steep for my taste.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your looking at laptops, check out MSI. They are mostly gaming laptops, but for the most part they will be more than capable of handling your video editing. I run the processor heavy Davinci Resolve on my MSI Ghost 60 4K laptop. I love how quickly it boots up. Were talking seconds, not 10's of seconds or minutes like most laptops. Overall it's just a pretty solid setup. I've had mine for about 3 years and it's still going strong.

7. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    What is a SSD hard drive?

Also, what would you say would be a minimum price range to get something adequate. I'm not using 4K as of right now but who knows what the future holds.

I would prefer a laptop because I don't have a designated place to use it and I'd like to be able to take it with me

8. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    SSD = Solid State Drive. Zero moving parts and ultra fast.

Shocker99 and tynimiller like this.
  9. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Subbing for the exact same reason.

Im slowly converting to 4K and want a laptop so i can take it with me on trips, hunts, ect.

Trying not to spent more than a G if possible.

10. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Bringing this back to the top. I'm leaning desktop now. Whats something I can get on a tight budget that has the RAM and CPU I need to do some mid level video editing?

11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Desktop no doubt brother. I just got a build done by a local buddy that works for a computer company locally. The ability to give him a budget and planned use was awesome to then just sit and let him build the best he could without any pre-built junk in it or software that would go unused. High on graphics, two harddrives included (one for storage and one for operating). I keep most of all my pictures, videos and documents off the operating harddrive and on externals or the one he added on the desktop. I only move over files if working with them but only larger files do I even have to do this.

I'd seek out someone knowledgeable in the area, if you know none see if someone you trust knows someone they trust. Even tipping a $100 or two would more than pay for the savings captured from buying on at a store or on a site. Just my .02.

12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just had a 1 terabyte ssd installed on my work laptop and holy smokes

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

DEC and tynimiller like this.
  13. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea my IT guy at work swears up and down about how great SSD's are. It took some talking by him to get my to put an SSD in my older machine. I kept arguing that it wouldn't make a difference. Boy was I ever wrong. An SSD for the OS and programs will breath new life into an old machine. Not only is my older machine WAY faster, but it has never once crashed since the switch. It is crazy.

tynimiller likes this.
  14. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like that power of a desktop, but I love the portability of a laptop. It's great to be able to just sit back on the couch and get some work in as opposed to having to sit a desk. You sacrifice some speed and performance because it costs more in a laptop, but being able to take your work with you is worth it in my opinion.

15. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, I ordered a 500gb Samsung EVO 850 SSD for my current laptop to see if it can get me by for a while and a big selling point in that is I could use it in a new computer (or laptop if I wanted)

I have an HP 17-e020us with the core i3 that's older but it's probably not been used 20 times because it developed a hard drive issue where it won't boot up all the time. Going to put that SSD in it and see how that does. May put a little more memory in as well.

What would you guys recommend for an external hard drive I could use for simply storing my videos, pictures, etc?

16. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on your budget. If you can swing it, I'd look at a small NAS with mirrored drives to protect the data.

17. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I'd like to keep it reasonable

18. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get a couple USB external hard drives. They are cheap and having multiple drives gives you some redundancy.

tynimiller likes this.
  19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. They have become almost laughable cheap at this point and worth their weight should anything ever happen. I keep mine at the desk or hooked up so them moving around isn't a worry. I think the last 500GB I bought was less than $40 or $50 on sale. Back up every once in a while all my vids and trail cam images I want to save...takes a tick but worth peace of mind.

DEC likes this.
  20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Keep in mind, you're coming into the sale season over the next month or two. If you can wait a bit, you should start seeing prices dropping for the holiday season and EOY is when the years inventory is liquidated for the next year's lines.

tynimiller likes this.